What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi LBR20 v. 9.2.5.2.37SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.37.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...bi-lbr20-v-9-2-5-2-24sf-hw.73983/#post-708327
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-lbr20-v-9-2-5-2-35sf-hw.81589/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-lbr20-v-9-2-5-2-36sf-hw.82487/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.37SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.36SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.39->2.40.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.18.9->1.19.5.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1s->1.1.1t (fixing CVE-2022-4304, CVE-2022-4450, CVE-2023-0215, CVE-2023-0286).
CVE-2023-0286, High severity.​
CVE-2023-0215, Moderate severity.​
CVE-2022-4450, Moderate severity.​
CVE-2022-4304, Moderate severity.​
4. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.46.5->1.46.6 (fixing CVE-2022-1304).
(score 7.8, High)​
5. bind package is upgraded 9.18.9->9.18.11 (fixing CVE-2022-3924, CVE-2022-3736).
(score 7.5, High)​
(score 7.5, High)​
6. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.67->1.4.69.
7. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.1.2->2.1.4.
8. ipset package is upgraded 7.16->7.17.
9. curl package is upgraded 7.86.0->7.87.0.
10. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.17.0->1.17.1.
11. getdns package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.7.2->1.7.3.
12. stubby package is upgraded 0.4.2->0.4.3.
13. ncurses package is upgraded 6.3->6.4.
14. libpcap package is upgraded 1.10.1->1.10.3.
15. tcpdump package is upgraded 4.99.1->4.99.3.
16. ethtool package is upgraded 6.0->6.1.
17. dbus package is upgraded 1.14.4->1.14.6.
18. nano package is upgraded 7.1->7.2.
19. sysstat package is upgraded 12.7.1->12.7.2.
20. Host tools: upgrade e2fsprogs to 1.46.6 (fixing CVE-2022-1304).
(score 7.8, High)​
21. Host tools: upgrade mkimage/u-boot to 2023.01.
22. Host tools: upgrade mtd-utils to 2.1.5.
23. Host tools: upgrade genext2fs to 1.5.0.
24. Host tools: upgrade xz to 5.4.1.
25. Host tools: upgrade mpfr to 4.2.0.
26. Host tools: upgrade UPX to 4.0.2.
27. Host tools: synchronize libtool with OpenWRT.

[Updated: QuickFix version]
New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.37.1SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.37SF-HW):

1. Bug fixing: add missed 'ethtool' package.
2. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.8->2.5.9.
3. curl package is upgraded 7.87.0->7.88.0.
4. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.12->3.13.
5. nghttp2 package is upgraded 1.51.0->1.52.0.
6. bind package is upgraded 9.18.11->9.18.12.
7. ethtool: change to 'ethtool-full' variant.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Last edited:
By the way, users of my firmware for the LBR20. I'm grateful to @L&LD, for example, for his constant reactions to my firmware releases. However, I even know that there are some stores in US that offer LBR20 with Voxel firmware installed (they make money with my firmware), but I hardly see any reaction from actual regular users of my LBR20 firmware.

You have to understand that you are getting something you need, so react a little bit somehow. I use LBR20 myself, but nobody makes me publish this firmware for silent users. Push me to understand that the publication is needed by anyone but me.

If you want to continue the project, do something for it. Not donations but at least some kind of response. Otherwise let me close support for LBR20.

Voxel.

but I hardly see any reaction from actual regular users of my LBR20 firmware.

This forum has one serious limitation for international users - English language only. The active users are perhaps under 200 based on what I see around and most are from North America, UK, Australia. This LBR20 model I have never seen in my life. It looks like Bell exclusive device in Canada and expensive alternative option to what's offered to 4G-LTE users in the USA. My realistic expectations - none of the active SNB Forum members has one. I agree about register to thank, but not too many people will do it. Since your work in this case is perhaps mostly used for business purposes - your call.

This forum has one serious limitation for international users - English language only. The active users are perhaps under 200 based on what I see around and most are from North America, UK, Australia.
I think quite a large number of people in the world can communicate in English, even if they are not from North America, UK. Australia. It just so happens that English is the main language for communication in the world. Especially in IT, which includes routers and their firmware. I have been to about 25 countries around the world and I have never encountered a problem communicating in English. Also, modern technology such as, for example, Google Translator allows most people who are able to flash router firmware, to understand what is written in the manual for the firmware, to understand the description of the fixes in the firmware, and hence what people write in this forum. Everything is in English.

This LBR20 model I have never seen in my life. It looks like Bell exclusive device in Canada and expensive alternative option to what's offered to 4G-LTE users in the USA. My realistic expectations - none of the active SNB Forum members has one.

Well, right now, I checked the download log for this particular firmware version. 12 downloads. From Poland, Germany, Norway, Finland, Austria and USA. So it's quite a common model. But you're right, most of the downloads are from the US.

By the way, it's interesting that US users are offered a service: for only $75 to install Voxel firmware on their LBR20:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/s...oxel-firmware-customer-device-update-service/

If helping to flash my firmware is a selling point and profit for someone, I think the LBR20 is not such a rare device, and its owners are aware of the existence of the SNB forum and read Voxel announcements in the forum about the release of new firmware.

It's more profitable to pay $75 to someone instead of saying 'thank you' to Voxel and asking for his help for free. It's a crazy world.

Voxel.

I have never encountered a problem communicating in English.

I have encountered this problem here in Canada with people born and raised here holding Canadian passports.

it's interesting that US users are offered a service: for only $75

There is a person talking about doing business with Asus routers running Asuswrt-Merlin right here on SNB Forums.

It's a crazy world.

Indeed. Just do whatever you think is right. You can't fix the World and this conversation won't change anything.

@Voxel - first of all great work on everything you do! you are an amazing and vital part of the community. A quick follow up on the RBS20/RBR20, I remember a while back you mentioned you were going to work on that. Did anything ever come of that? thanks again!

@Voxel

I can't thank you enough for your LBR20 firmware. It is rock solid stable and never even requires a reboot.

I have set up several family members with LBR20's and most are running older versions of your firmware. They work so well that I only very rarely check for new versions.

When I want to check for new firmware, I go to your web site. I almost never check this forum or see your posts. I suspect it is the same for many others. Probably more people regularly read the wireless joint LBR20 megathread instead. I usually post any questions I have over there rather than bother you. Maybe that is a mistake.

It was just luck that I happened to see your post about closing support for LBR20. That would make me very sad. I think I am also speaking for many others that will never see your post here.

I joined this forum just to post this.

Last edited:
Just created a login to give some appreciation. We received an LBR20 from our cell service provider flashed with your firmware. It is the first I heard of it, but trying to come up to speed on it as quickly as I can.

I second @nordicboy on the sheer luck of coming across this thread, and the thanks for your willingness to share.

@Voxel - first of all great work on everything you do! you are an amazing and vital part of the community. A quick follow up on the RBS20/RBR20, I remember a while back you mentioned you were going to work on that. Did anything ever come of that? thanks again!

I am at my wits end with the 2.7.4.24 firmware on my RBR20/RBS20 Orbi system. the satellite constantly disconnects from the internet and any devices connected to it lose internet access. if I power off the satellite, things connect to the router and internet works fine. so it's just something with the satellite itself and I think it has to do with the firmware that's on it

@Voxel I just read you have been thinking of doing a firmware for this pair of devices and would love to know if you decided to begin work. i'd rather not switch to eero or tp-link for a mesh wireless system and a custom firmware (or downgrading the firmware) seems to be my last remaining choices

I am at my wits end with the 2.7.4.24 firmware on my RBR20/RBS20 Orbi system. the satellite constantly disconnects from the internet and any devices connected to it lose internet access. if I power off the satellite, things connect to the router and internet works fine. so it's just something with the satellite itself and I think it has to do with the firmware that's on it

@Voxel I just read you have been thinking of doing a firmware for this pair of devices and would love to know if you decided to begin work. i'd rather not switch to eero or tp-link for a mesh wireless system and a custom firmware (or downgrading the firmware) seems to be my last remaining choices

I spoke to @Voxel about this. The challenging thing for him is that he doesn’t own any of these devices (RBR20 and RBS20). So it is hard for him to test and make the CFW. I believe he is still trying to work on something but it might be up to us if we are comfortable with TFTP to test. Again, this didn’t come from @Voxel but this is my feeling of a best case scenario. I am in no way saying that this is @Voxel’s plan.

That definitely makes sense. Has there been any thought behind starting to GoFundMe for @Voxel ? I can only image there would be a number of people (myself included) that would toss in $10-20 to help get the project started

I made an account just to like your post every new update. I appreciate your work @Voxel because you literally saved my RBK50 from being thrown out from having so many bugs and problems with the official fw

Here is the problem: I have no strong desire to buy and support RBR20/RBS20, as I already have and support RBR50/RBS50 (this is more advanced version). What I'm trying: is to use the firmware for the LBR20, adapting it for the RBR20/RBS20. So far there are some problems with it and I need to investigate what I'm doing in the background. Not with the highest priority, sorry.

Voxel.

Just wanted to chime in. I'm extremely grateful for your lbr20 releases without your firmware I wouldn't have decent internet where I live. I use it daily as my main driver I appreciate everything you do Voxel. Much love brother.

I'm sure the people over on wirelesshaven are grateful as well.

Hello,
Just wanted to say that many of us still use your firmware and greatly appreciate you! Last I heard from you was June of last year and didn’t see any reply to my email so thought you were just busy. Someone made me aware of this thread and possible discouragement on your part so wanted to let you know you are still greatly appreciated and have helped many folks in the US who have found my “megathread” on WirelessJoint forums.

Hope you are doing well :)

Thank you for the custom firmware, it was a huge help as it allowed me to configure a persistent lock to a reliable tower. The stock firmware kept switching to a tower that wouldn't even provide an internet connection for some reason causing the need to restart the router every few hours.

I just made an account to say thank you i really appreciate all your work my lbr20 is supposed to show up today after many problems with my cradlepoint cba850 this seems like a great solution and the modem was much more affordable than any other option i was looking into for only a cat 12

Hello,
Just wanted to say that many of us still use your firmware and greatly appreciate you! Last I heard from you was June of last year and didn’t see any reply to my email so thought you were just busy. Someone made me aware of this thread and possible discouragement on your part so wanted to let you know you are still greatly appreciated and have helped many folks in the US who have found my “megathread” on WirelessJoint forums.

Hope you are doing well :)
Thank you,

I am grateful to @hazarjast for his undoubtedly great contribution to this project for LBR20.

I don't quite understand the interest in what I'm doing, as I haven't received any donations or "likes" for LBR20 at all.

Well and by the way for other routers not so much. I can buy a couple of routers but no more. Looks like interest in Voxel firmware ends...

Voxel.

Sorry to hear about this turn of events @Voxel. You always provide meticulously crafted firmware for the routers you support. But I can understand your frustration too. Wish you all the best.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!