What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 install help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KeithC.

New Around Here
So I have a couple of question. I'm not a linux guy so reading the Quickstart scared the willies out of me. I'm just a Windows guy and a SF programmer, so the rest of this is completely new. With that said my questions are below:

1. Has any done a step by step guide for those of us that are Windows only or "Linux" challenged?

2. Can someone explain the "Overlay Partition on USB" for me in Windows terms and maybe provide some instruction.

Heck, I can make 95% of my questions really the same question. How do I do that in Windows if I know nothing about linux?

3. Are their any GUI interfaces in the Voxel Firmware or are any planned?

4. Does the standard GUI still work for things like firewall ports etc?

5. How does one create a linux readable text file and write it to linux. Yes, I understand I could google a lot of this but I was hoping to do the basics of this tomorrow morning and then make changes as time goes one, but most importantly, the family needs the router upgrade to not take all day.

6. Does this firmware give me the ability to bypass Orbi's "automatic" QOS and define my own?

7. Is there a "Best Practice" guide anyone has that explains what I should be doing now that I have the benefit of this firmware?

8. Is there an order of installation? ie. satellites first, main unit second, etc.

You maybe asking why I'm even upgrading. I'm having serious QOS issues and as my system is setup now, my ISP can see if I'm running an internal DNS server. It is my understand I can block that from happening with this firmware (if I can figure out how).

Maybe after this I'll do up a video and install guide for those of use that are Linux challenged :) With a lot of help and editing of course.

Sorry for the long post, but thank you to anyone willing to help.
Keith.

So I have a couple of question. I'm not a linux guy so reading the Quickstart scared the willies out of me. I'm just a Windows guy and a SF programmer, so the rest of this is completely new. With that said my questions are below:

1. Has any done a step by step guide for those of us that are Windows only or "Linux" challenged?
You don't need to be Linux knowledgeable to install Voxels FW on Orbi. Just load it like you would do a stock FW update on to the RBS first then RBR lastly.
Anything you want to due under the hood involves telnet.

2. Can someone explain the "Overlay Partition on USB" for me in Windows terms and maybe provide some instruction.
Just format a USB thumb drive or a USB drive in windows then connect it to the back of the Orbi and format it using the instructions in the quickstart guide. You'll need to have a telnet program like Putty or TeraTerm to use with telnet and the telnet commands outlined in the quickstart guide. This is mainly if you want to install Entware.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ft-on-device-trying-to-install-entware.62965/

Heck, I can make 95% of my questions really the same question. How do I do that in Windows if I know nothing about linux?

3. Are their any GUI interfaces in the Voxel Firmware or are any planned?
Better looking icons. Other than this the UI is the same.

4. Does the standard GUI still work for things like firewall ports etc?
Yes, Port Forwarding is used here.

5. How does one create a linux readable text file and write it to linux. Yes, I understand I could google a lot of this but I was hoping to do the basics of this tomorrow morning and then make changes as time goes one, but most importantly, the family needs the router upgrade to not take all day.
One can use VI or Nano in Voxels FW to edit files that are with in the FW structure.

6. Does this firmware give me the ability to bypass Orbi's "automatic" QOS and define my own?
Not as of yet. Something to ask Voxel about.

7. Is there a "Best Practice" guide anyone has that explains what I should be doing now that I have the benefit of this firmware?
Nothing has of yet. Just run it normally as if you had stock FW loaded.

8. Is there an order of installation? ie. satellites first, main unit second, etc.
Yes. You have it right.

You maybe asking why I'm even upgrading. I'm having serious QOS issues and as my system is setup now, my ISP can see if I'm running an internal DNS server. It is my understand I can block that from happening with this firmware (if I can figure out how).
What is the Mfr and model# of your ISP modem/ONT your using?
What Speeds UP and down do you pay for?
What are you doing that you seem to have QoS issues. Could be something else?
Wired or wireless or same for both?
Try different devices?

Maybe after this I'll do up a video and install guide for those of use that are Linux challenged :) With a lot of help and editing of course.

Keith.

Really a bit long.

Let us step-by-step. I am sorry, but I am really overloaded with all of this. Unexpected. Not planned. A lot of 2do. For family and for main job.

1. If you flash this firmware you should get about the same if you would use ordinary firmware from NG. With similar GUI.

2. If you are familiar with Windows command line prompt: it is very close to Linux command line prompt.

3. /overlay is not something like Linux specific. Just imagine that it everything in /overlay is just applied above your root on the disk.

I.e. (Windows terms) you have to change the file C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ etc\ hosts. So if you keep you changes in \overlay\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ etc\ hosts on USB drive it will be done automatically. It is what I mean with "Overlay on USB"

End for today... Sorry. Busy.

Voxel.

Had a scare today updating to the new x.17 firmware. Note... factory reset BEFORE UPDATE was done.

Just in case I had issues, I first updated the Satellite I could most do without, let's call it S2.

Updated firmware on S2 and after about 5 minutes it came back up. I'd like to note it seems that with Voxel's firmware the Orbis take a little longer to boot and connect. 5 minutes compared to about 3 minutes on stock. This doesn't bother me really, just a note. I have an EdgeRouter Lite 3 that handles my dual-wan in front of the Orbi and it takes about 5 minutes as well to come online.

Updated firmware on my more "important" satellite, let's call it S1 and after 5 minutes I was still waiting to see it connect. Went downstairs and lights were purple so I hit the sync button on S1 and router. After another purple light I switched off all 3.

After rebooting, S1 reconnected (sigh of relief) BUT S2, which had previously connected after flash, would no longer sync. Ok, so hit sync button on it and router again... after 3 consecutive tries and no connect with magenta lights I was getting worried and didn't want to factory reset again for fear of bricking.

So my next step was to generate a new password for the satellite sync. S1 was not having any issues connecting after each sync but S2 refused to connect. I had to regenerate the password sync 4 times for the S2 to finally reconnect to the router. Each attempt was given 10 minutes, more than enough time.

All is well now, thank goodness. Speeds are great. No issues. Just thought I'd leave this here for reference in case anyone freaks out. Keep trying.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

A factory reset is best after flashing the firmware you want to use. Resetting before does effectively zilch, for the newly flashed firmware. :)

A factory reset is best after flashing the firmware you want to use. Resetting before does effectively zilch, for the newly flashed firmware. :)
I realize that but I noticed a guy in another thread a couple days ago factory reset after the flash and soft bricked... I really didnt want to go through all that... I despise having to use Telnet/SSH/Command Line anything

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

A fear of something doesn't make the order correct though. :)

Except in case of this firmware where factory resetting soft bricks it requiring you to TFTP the firmware. It happened twice now on the latest version.

Are you able to factory reset with Voxel firmware? Do you do it via the GUI or a paperclip reset?

No Voxel firmware for my RT-AX88U. :)

I use the GUI, the reset button and the WPS reset method to fully reset an RMerlin/Asus router. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!