What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.11SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-0-43sf-hw.60634/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-9sf-hw.60727/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.1.11SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.10SF-HW):

1. WireGuard client support is added (tested with Integrity VPN, thanks to KW.).
2. net-wall firewall is changed to support WireGuard client.
3. wireguard package is upgraded 0.0.20191226->0.0.20200128.
4. wireguard-tools package is upgraded 1.0.20191226->1.0.20200121.
5. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.44.5->1.45.5.
6. curl package is upgraded 7.67.0->7.68.0.
7. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 build scheme is changed (compilation by Go, dynamic GCC libs). Should work faster.
8. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded to version 2.0.38.
9. pcre package is upgraded 8.38->8.43.
10. util-linux package is upgraded 2.34->2.35.
11. Host tools (e2fspogs): is upgraded to 1.45.5.
12. Host tools (make-ext4fs): us upgraded to 2020-01-05.
13. Host tools (bison): is upgraded to 3.5.

Changes (9.2.5.1.10SF-HW vs 9.2.5.1.9SF-HW):

1. OpenSSL 1.0.2 is upgraded 1.0.2t->1.0.2u.
2. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.53->1.4.54.
3. lighttpd package is changed to use OpenSSL 1.1.1.
4. routerlogin.net certificate is added (you can access your Orbi GUI as https://routerlogin.net).
5. DnsCrypt Proxy v2 is upgraded to version 2.0.36.
6. logrotate package us upgraded 3.8.1->3.15.0.
7. WireGuard package is upgraded 20191219->20191226 (plus changes in build tree).
8. Option in nvram to disable xagent start is added.
9. parted package (and its dependences) is added (used in hotplug2).

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

WireGuard client:

To start its using you should

1. Prepare the text file in Unix format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_file#Unix_text_files) with name wireguard.conf defining the following values: EndPoint, LocalIP, PrivateKey, PublicKey and Port of you WireGuard client config from WG provider.

Example:
------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------------
EndPoint="wireguard.5july.net"
LocalIP="10.0.xxx.xxx"
PrivateKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
PublicKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
Port="48574"
------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------------
NOTE: no spaces before/after "=" symbol in example above.
NOTE: the name of the file wireguard.conf is lowercase.

2. Place this wireguard.conf file to /overlay/etc/ directory of your USB drive formatted as ext4 filesystem. I.e. /overlay/etc/wireguard.conf. See QuickStart.txt for details re: /overlay on your USB drive.

3. Insert this flash drive into your Orbi RBR50.

4. Enter by telnet to your router (RBR50) and set the nvram variable wg-client to 1

Code:
nvram set wg-client=1
nvram commit

5. Reboot your router.

NOTE: to disable WireGuard client starting just set wg-client to "0" and reboot the router.

Voxel.

Can I use wireguard to any vpn provider?
I have expressvpn and pure vpn.?
Thanks

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Can I use wireguard to any vpn provider?
I have expressvpn and pure vpn.?
Thanks

Goal of adding WireGuard Client support is to allow using it with ANY provider. Of course I cannot check all providers. So I've tested with Integrity and my own WG server (it works). But it should work with your providers too.

Voxel.

Goal of adding WireGuard Client support is to allow using it with ANY provider. Of course I cannot check all providers. So I've tested with Integrity and my own WG server (it works). But it should work with your providers too.

Voxel.
Ok thanks.
But I've read that only few providers support wireguard..

Info for Entware users: Entware is upgraded.

It is enough to run:

Code:
/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade

to upgrade your version. But it is recommended to install it anew. The reason of recommendation: compiler is changed (gcc 7.4.0->gcc 8.3.0).

Voxel.

Questions about satellites:
  • Will a router running Voxel firmware function with satellites that are not running the custom firmware?
  • For example, with one of the wall plug or outdoor (RBS50Y) satellites that are on the stock firmware and have no Voxel firmware available?
  • For example, if the router is running Voxel firmware but the RBS50 satellite is running stock firmware?
Thanks

Thanks for this release!

Are there benefits in running Voxel firmware when you have the router in AP mode? I have a router running in AP mode with 6 satellites connected.

Thanks!
Mike.

Not in a good place right now.

Sitrep:
Was stuck on 2.3.x (the last version, dont recall off hand) due to Netgears fcking with the different 2.4Ghz SSID I had set (and many users reported where "fixed" in 2.5.x, aka, no longer working)
Saw this marvel mentioned in the Netgear forums, and have done DD-WRT/OpenWRT long enough to not be scared (still not)
Thus begins my journey (always wired, never wireless for these steps)!
  1. Factory Reset Router/Satellite
  2. Wait 10min before doing anything
  3. Login to GUI, do setup and Check for updates, no update found (IIRC intentional, see it mentioned elsewhere), wait 5min
  4. Manually update from downloaded latest Netgear since I saw mentioned in a prior thread it needed to be done, so 2.5.1.8, manually done on Satellite, wait 10min, then do on Router
  5. Wait 10min after Router 2.5.1.8 update was finished, factory reset again, then waited another 10min after factory reset
  6. Login to WebGU, do setup and check for updates, wait another 5min
  7. Flashed this fine gem (not being sarcastic, its not netgear) using the same procedure above, flash Satellite, wait 10min, flash Router, wait 10min
  8. CHECKPOINT, without a factory reset from the flash to this firmware, it seems OK, but common practice for firmware updates especially custom firmware updates, is to give it 15min, then factory reset
  9. DOWNHILL: Router after factory reset and 30min going nowhere, power LED solid, ring LED pulsing white, NO DHCP (wired *or wireless which shows up so thats good), the Satellite ring Solid Magenta meaning no IP as well (but at least connected by the light code? cant actually tell...)
  10. Current: le sigh...
Naturally at this point I now start doing fall-backs such as checking MD5/SHA on downloads, try downloading different browser/computer's to confirm, everything good there on download and extraction. Rechecked instructions regarding how to go about it, not much to go on there, checked forums, tried setting static IP 192.168.1.5 and 0.5 to get to 1.1 or 0.1 router IP (assumed 1.1 as is default, rest for sanity test) and I am either missing something, or something is FUBAR elsewhere.

Instructions unclear, Router Stuck in Fan (no DHCP)

EDIT: BLEH, I had the Satellite plugged in, so thats what was giving wireless, with that unplugged I see the hidden network still, but no Wireless from the router ( I think, at this point im burnt)
EDIT2: cant get the fracking thing to TFTP, the method on the Netgear site and classic methods are no-go... power on, solid green power no matter how long i wait/discharge, poweron while holding reset turns it red, still nada, holding it longer makes it red flashing, still nada, I am done for the night

Last edited:
Questions about satellites:
  • Will a router running Voxel firmware function with satellites that are not running the custom firmware?
  • For example, with one of the wall plug or outdoor (RBS50Y) satellites that are on the stock firmware and have no Voxel firmware available?/QUOTE]

I am not sure re: RBS50Y. But if this scheme is workable with pure stock firmware it should work with my version too.

For example, if the router is running Voxel firmware but the RBS50 satellite is running stock firmware?

Yes m should work. But I do not quite understand why not to use my version for RBS50 as well...

Voxel.

I am done for the night

Who was I kidding, 10min laying there trying to sleep and it was just NOT going to happen!
So, found some things... TFTP is a PITA to get done! none of the BS I could find on the forums or site helped!
Orbi TFTP Process (to get the Orbi to take the TFTP... the rest is the same):
With reset button pressed in, power on unit, keep the reset button held in for quite a while, what your looking for is the power LED to go red, then heres the kicker, when it starts flashing red, DONT LET GO of the reset button, watch that LED closely because it will flash green once and VERY fast, then you can release the reset button, at this point, it will continue to flash red on its own, and be open to TFTP put attempts! (releasing reset before or holding for too long result in madness and me nearly throwing my Orbi down the stairs)

OK, with that said, I tried to TFTP the .11 firmware, it still said NOPE (IE it went, but same issue as prior post, never fully boots), so I TFTP'd the stock firmware, that took, and after 10min, was up and running and all was right with the world!

Soooo, being a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and repeated this 3x each time from fresh download/diff computer just to be sure, each time I ended in the same situation, so conclusion, DO NOT FACTORY RESET after flashing .11 (AT LEAST when coming from stock 2.5.1.8, who knows if you where on .10 or something prior if it will go tits up like mine did, I might try earlier versions tomorrow if I am feeling insane).

I have again gotten to CHECKPOINT, from stock, flashed Voxel, waited a bit, rebooted, and everything is up (seeing as I havent factory reset the unit, I expect it to continue to work fine), GUI is unchanged and I didn't think it would be (maybe I was mistaken?).

I split the SSID's for 2.4/5 as I did in 2.3, sadly, the same thing reported in stock 2.5.1.8, there's a task or something running in the background and it unifies the SSID's again after a time.

Seeing as its 2AM CST where I am, time to PTFO, I will probably end up reverting to 2.3.x tomorrow, well see.

Are there benefits in running Voxel firmware when you have the router in AP mode? I have a router running in AP mode with 6 satellites connected.

Benefits... Well. Try to browse my changes.log (the links are in the very first post of this thread). General acceleration (speed), updated packages, fixed bugs, possibility to extend the functionality of your device (e.g. Entware), hardware acceleration of OpenSSL...

Voxel.

It is highly recommended to flash my version having stock 2.5.x.x already installed. This scheme of NG with migration from 2.3.x.x or 2.1.x.x to latest version is a bit troublesome. I'd like to not participate in this scheme with my builds - it is not my design.

Voxel.

It is highly recommended to flash my version having stock 2.5.x.x already installed. This scheme of NG with migration from 2.3.x.x or 2.1.x.x to latest version is a bit troublesome. I'd like to not participate in this scheme with my builds - it is not my design.

Voxel.

If you meant to reply to my posts then you did not actually read them...
I saw this comment in a prior firmware thread you made
So if you read item 4, it clearly says I updated to latest stock 2.5.1.8 BEFORE I updated to yours...

GUI is unchanged and I didn't think it would be (maybe I was mistaken?).

It should look as:

upload_2020-2-1_14-9-39.png

Voxel.

Yes sorry, I did the disable wifison, I will change to allowdiff (also, been running with separate SSID's since launch, ZERO issues there)
By GUI change, i meant different options or listings, I do see the different icons and firmware versions

Still doesn't address the fact it keels over on factory reset :(

Benefits... Well. Try to browse my changes.log (the links are in the very first post of this thread). General acceleration (speed), updated packages, fixed bugs, possibility to extend the functionality of your device (e.g. Entware), hardware acceleration of OpenSSL...

Voxel.
Thanks for the reply! I did read through them, was not sure if they applied to running in AP mode as it looked like a lot of the features where specific to using the Orbi as a router.

thanks voxel! you breathed new life into my routers the last few years and saved me a bunch of money. wish i was smart enough to understand half of what you do, haha

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!