What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.13.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
This is important release. Mainly because of using new Toolchain including significant changes such as latest GCC compiler v 9.3.0 released Mar 12, 2020 instead of old 5.5.0 (2017).

https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/

Goal is obvious: additional performance boost because of modern compiler optimization.

Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-11sf-hw.61541/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-12-1sf-hw.62647/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.1.13.1SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.12.1SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: GCC is upgraded 5.5.0->9.3.0.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.32->2.34.
3. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.13.8->1.14.1.
4. DEV_show_device.htm is changed (Attached Device List order by IP, CrimpOn request).
5. hotplug2: changes for WG client (config from USB flash, dos2unix).
6. nano package is added (editor, CrimpOn request).
7. wireguard package is upgraded 0.0.20200215->0.0.20200318.
8. wireguard-tools package is upgraded 1.0.20200206->1.0.20200319.
9. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1d->1.1.1e.
10. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.39->2.0.42.
11. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.45.5->1.45.6.
12. Changes in the Linux kernel and in many packages to provide compilation by GCC 9.3.0.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Not currently. You can set up IP address reservations for them on the RBR...

Thank you! If you've disabled circle etc in a previous firmware, does it maintain those settings if you do not factory reset?

Yes it should maintain your current configuration. I loaded mine yesterday. I don't use Circle or Armor. RBR is working fine. Mines in AP mode though.

Thank you! If you've disabled circle etc in a previous firmware, does it maintain those settings if you do not factory reset?

Yet it should work (saved in your backed up config). I use it in router mode. Settings disabling Circle, Armor, Cloud are kept. I did not change my settings long time:

Code:
root@RBR50:~# nvram show | grep nocircle
nocircle=1
root@RBR50:~# nvram show | grep nocloud
nocloud=1
root@RBR50:~# nvram show | grep noarmor
noarmor=1

Voxel.

I would just like to give HUGE props to these firmwares. The Orbi system was released a few years ago and Netgear released firmwares (in general) are rarely current. One could argue, if it isn't broken why fix it. On the flip side, as demonstrated with these firmwares, performance gains can still be quite significant with a little maintenance. Thank you!

Thanks, really enjoying the updates and appreciate it. Is it scary to you what condition they leave it in? Do you get the feel that they don't care, or maybe just overworked?

Thanks. I am really keen on separating 2.4 and 5ghz bands to ensure devices are connected at optimum speeds and separated. Will this firmware work with separation of bands ? Band separation works really well with old netgear firmware.

Thanks. I am really keen on separating 2.4 and 5ghz bands to ensure devices are connected at optimum speeds and separated. Will this firmware work with separation of bands ? Band separation works really well with old netgear firmware.

(a) To set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi RBR:

• From telnet/ssh console run

Code:
nvram set wla_ssid="NAME OF YOUR 5GHZ NETWORK"
nvram set allow_diff_ssid=1
nvram commit

• Reboot your RBR and RBS
• Set “allow_diff_ssid” in nvram to “0” to disable separate SSIDs.

NOTE:
Under your own risk.

^ Quote from when Voxel added it to the firmware release

I removed the note regarding separating SSID's possibly causing issues considering THOUSANDS of people reported issues because they COULD NOT separate them (I am one of those thousands, with converged SSID, its a crashy, buggy, POS, with separated SSID, BUTTER!), not to mention I have yet to see a VALID/CONFIRMED instance in which doing so DID/DOES cause a problem.

EDIT: There is a NON Voxel way (still requires telnet/ssh) to separate the SSID, but it involves turning off the health check for the backhaul and I HAVE seen issues caused when doing that (what you had to do after the 2.8.x upgrade tree). Stick with Voxel's Method, his work is WONDERFUL (or downgrade to Netgears old firmware, I was on it for a year before I found Voxel's work :D)

Last edited:
(a) To set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi RBR:

• From telnet/ssh console run

Code:
nvram set wla_ssid="NAME OF YOUR 5GHZ NETWORK"
nvram set allow_diff_ssid=1
nvram commit

• Reboot your RBR and RBS
• Set “allow_diff_ssid” in nvram to “0” to disable separate SSIDs.

NOTE:
Under your own risk.

^ Quote from when Voxel added it to the firmware release

I removed the note regarding separating SSID's possibly causing issues considering THOUSANDS of people reported issues because they COULD NOT separate them (I am one of those thousands, with converged SSID, its a crashy, buggy, POS, with separated SSID, BUTTER!), not to mention I have yet to see a VALID/CONFIRMED instance in which doing so DID/DOES cause a problem.

EDIT: There is a NON Voxel way (still requires telnet/ssh) to separate the SSID, but it involves turning off the health check for the backhaul and I HAVE seen issues caused when doing that (what you had to do after the 2.8.x upgrade tree). Stick with Voxel's Method, his work is WONDERFUL (or downgrade to Netgears old firmware, I was on it for a year before I found Voxel's work :D)

Thank you.

Most of the reasons for users having problems with Orbi is for there 2.4Ghz only IoT problems not being able to connect to the Orbi during initial setup. This was only in part by Orbi not providing official means to separate SSIDs. However it's not required or necessary anymore for those who continue to use single SSID. NG provided a disable of either frequency to disable the SSID broadcast to help users get there 2.4Ghz only IoTs connected. This is all due to the IoT mfrs setting there setup software to require the setup device to use only 2.4Ghz SSID. I presume this was a cost cutting factor as well, however the IoT mfrs seem to fail to realize the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs are on the same WLAN side and dual band devices like phones and pads use either frequency. One the phone or pads they don't care what frequency there on since it's the same WLAN side of the fence. It's these IoT mfrs that don't allow there setup software to work on either frequency. So NG finally relented and helped all the users complaining about not being able to separate SSIDs a way to temporarily disable the 5G SSID, forcing the setup phone or pad to the 2.4Ghz SSID long enough to get the IoT setup and connected. This has been in stock FW for a while now. Users can also turn down the power on the 5Ghz radio to 25% leaving 2.4Ghz at 100% as another work around.

Been several threads regarding problems with single SSIDs, however there are also threads where it's resolved with the mentioned disabling of SSIDs or reducing the power on the 5Ghz radio.

I'm only mentioning this in regards to the initial setup of 2.4Ghz only supporting devices.
There are many other factors that cause wifi operations as well.

Single SSID works and works well if set up and configured and placed well with in the home. I've had no issues with it on Orbi AC. Only one example I have now experienced is with my Orbi AX system. I tried to set up a new Echo Dot last weekend and could not get it connected. Orbi AX doesn't have the disabling of SSID broadcasts yet like Orbi AC does. I had to set up a temp 2.4Ghz only router to get the Dot connected using the same SSID name and PW as the Orbi AX. Hopefully NG will implement disabling of the SSID broadcast on Orbi AX like they did with Orbi AC.

In the end its up to the users to wish to do what they want and that's good. I'm glad that Voxel is here to help in any way possible for user and so they get good and best operations with there routers. I do agree, voxel does a better job of FW updates and development.

Last edited:

No IoT devices here, issue's galore with single SSID, ZERO with it separate, nothing truly old either (laptop was 2018, current is 2019, phone is 2018). Only 2.4Ghz ONLY item was my Epson 7710 printer (2018). Updated drivers and all, I do IT for a living, and not call the MFG for support first to fix IT either, I stop literally at the coding/linux edge (or precision solder, not a steady hand).
Phone would get dropped, laptop would get dropped, router locked up, had to force restart, yep, single SSID NG Orbi (2 systems) is garbo tier.

To say the single SSID issues where MOSTLY with IoT (and mainly IoT setup) is simply FALSE, quite a few others in the massive threads on the Netgear Orbi forums where in the same boat as me.

Well glad separation of SSID works for you then. Single SSID works for others as well. Zero issues using single SSID on Orbi AC.
Some of this is IoT or wireless device Mfrs limit software though.

AT least we have a choice.

Cheers

The fellow who reworked "Attached Devices" to sort by IP address has taken another crack at it. Now it operates like the Nighthawk routers: click at the top of any column and it sorts on that column. He also changed the refresh interval and stopped repainting the screen with the same information. REALLY NICE. It can be found here:www.dropbox.com/s/svqx6020yq0avgh/DEV_show_device.htm?dl=0
I used vi to edit his previous changes into /www/DEV_show_device.htm It's a lot easier to use vi to create a new file as explained in post 24: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Attached-Devices-Sorted-by-IP-Number/m-p/1877986#M85389

The fellow who reworked "Attached Devices" to sort by IP address has taken another crack at it. Now it operates like the Nighthawk routers: click at the top of any column and it sorts on that column. He also changed the refresh interval and stopped repainting the screen with the same information. REALLY NICE. It can be found here:www.dropbox.com/s/svqx6020yq0avgh/DEV_show_device.htm?dl=0
I used vi to edit his previous changes into /www/DEV_show_device.htm It's a lot easier to use vi to create a new file as explained in post 24: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Attached-Devices-Sorted-by-IP-Number/m-p/1877986#M85389

Well. I'll check. Later. Now short notes:

1. vi: nano editor is added by your request.
2. It is better to use patch file or at least 'sed' for such changes (by author of changes course). Usual practice.

Voxel.

Well. I'll check. Later. Now short notes:

1. vi: nano editor is added by your request.
2. It is better to use patch file or at least 'sed' for such changes (by author of changes course). Usual practice.

Voxel.
Of course, and I appreciate having nano. For those on stock Orbi, vi is the only editor. sed is in busybox, so I guess it's "back to reading the manual" for me.

vi is the only editor
Well, vi is a powerful editor :) I had to use it during 10 years on SGI, so not problems for me. Multiply files could be edited at once.

Just a hint: for an intensive editing )as far as you can guess I do that too often) I usually use conjunction of some Windows editor and scp protocol. SSH is working in my build... I.e. some SCP shell from Windows allowing to edit directly on the router.

Voxel.

The fellow who reworked "Attached Devices" to sort by IP address has taken another crack at it. Now it operates like the Nighthawk routers: click at the top of any column and it sorts on that column. He also changed the refresh interval and stopped repainting the screen with the same information. REALLY NICE.
I agree. Really nice. Will be included in my next release.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!