What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.17SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-12-1sf-hw.62647/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-13-1sf-hw.62987/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.1.17SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.13.1SF-HW):

1. Integration of changes from the stock v. 2.5.1.16.
2. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.4.8->2.4.9 (CVE-2020-11810).
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1e->1.1.1g (CVE-2020-1967).
4. DEV_show_device.htm is changed (Attached Device List selectable order, thanks to CrimpOn).
5. mkswap/swapon/swapoff busybox applets are added.
6. ipset package is upgraded 6.24->7.4.
7. ethtool package is upgraded 3.18->5.4.
8. wireguard package is upgraded 0.0.20200318->1.0.20200413.
9. nano package is upgraded 4.9->4.9.2.
10. Host tools (e2fsprogs): is upgraded to 1.45.6.
11. Host tools (xz): is upgraded to 5.2.5.
12. Host tools (mm-macros): is upgraded to 1.0.0.
13. Host tools (patchelf): is upgraded to 0.10.
14. Host tools (gengetopt): is upgraded to 2.23.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Last edited:
Hi Voxel.

Thank you for your efforts and your continued contribution to the community. I'm relatively new to flashing custom firmware to the Orbi (literally just found out about it days ago) so let me share some feedback from my experience.

I initially upgraded from stock 2.5.1.16 to 9.2.5.1.13.1. I manually updated each satellite individually and then the router. This process was smooth and painless.

I thought it would be a good idea to factory reset at this point, but that led to the router soft bricking (reboot with pulsing white) requiring me to TFTP stock firmware back onto it, factory resetting from stock and then flashing 9.2.5.1.13.1. All was great after that.

The next morning I woke up to find that 9.2.5.1.17 was released (wow, you work so hard having already incorporated the stock 2.5.1.16 changes into it)

I went to do a manual update of the satellites and routers (individually as before) and was prompted that the firmware I was loading was an older version (9.2.5.1.13.1 -> 9.2.5.1.17), not sure why the mix match, but I agreed that was ok and it proceeded without issue.

I explored a bit and came up with the following observations and suggestions:

Bugs:
  • Factory Resetting soft bricks Router requiring it to be booted via recovery button and firmware reflashed via TFTP
  • Upgrading from V9.2.5.1.13.1 to V9.2.5.1.17 gave a warning I was upgrading to an old version
Cosmetic Suggestions:
  • Clicking Orbi Logo in left corner should take you to root Admin console (ex. 10.0.0.1)
  • Clicking Parental Controls from Home should take you to Parental Controls Settings ( ex http://10.0.0.1/parental_basic.htm )
  • Rename "Security" tile on Home to "Netgear Armor"
  • Clicking "Security" tile on Home page should take you somewhere to enable/disable Armor which is absent from the firmware right now
  • Remove advertisement for mobile app from sidebar
  • On Attached Devices screen make the IP of connected satellites clickable to spawn a new browser window or tab of the satellite
  • On Attached Devices screen show the connection type (10/100/1000) for wired devices or % of signal for wireless devices (ex 20%/50%/80%)
  • Ability to either receive notification of VOXEL firmware updates via the Admin UI (similar to how Orbi does for official) and/or Allow updating to VOXEL firmware via the online update mechanism.

So far so good I'm really happy with the experience so far. For reference, here is a random real world indicator of the value add I stumbled upon this morning.

The WIFI map of my house as produced by Roomba robot vacuum from last week.

https://i.imgur.com/6TUNoJ2.png

Here is the same WIFI map from this morning after upgrading to VOXEL yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/BHbp52L.png

Thanks again!

Last edited:
How did Voxel’s firmware improve your Wi-Fi coverage? Does it boast the signal with higher power?

also support a number of your suggestions and there was another user that reported the issue of the factory reset

How did Voxel’s firmware improve your Wi-Fi coverage? Does it boast the signal with higher power?

I have no superficial way of knowing. My wifi maps had been fairly consistent, great coverage but some gradient thinning in certain areas (I have a big house)..

This is the first time I've seen solid green across the entire surface so it stood out.

Nothing else changed, iRobot App version the same, satellites in same place, etc. Only thing changed between gradient and not was the new firmware.

I didn't seek the change out, was just a happy surprise when I ran my weekly full vacuum.

I didn't seek the change out, was just a happy surprise when I ran my weekly full vacuum.
Thank your for sharing this story (robot vacuum). Really interesting.

This is the first time I've seen solid green across the entire surface so it stood out.
Well, this was a main goal. To force this system to work but not to sleep being idle :)

Short remark while (your suggestions):
Upgrading from V9.2.5.1.13.1 to V9.2.5.1.17 gave a warning I was upgrading to an old version
This is internal logic of pre-built binary from NG/DNI. I do not control it. The same wrong logic comparing version numeration e.g with R7800. But OK for R9000/R8900...

Voxel.

At least for me, resetting the satellites have worked every time with Voxel's firmware. FYI - YMMV.

I lucked out because I was always too lazy to reset the router because I did not want to reconfigure it. Luckily, I ran across experiences here before going ahead with it.

Either way it sounds like it is a good idea to have that TFTP process on hand: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Yeah the first time I installed, satellites reset fine and came back up. But the router was a stickler and required holding the reset pin for a while (“hard reset”) to be able to TFTP back to stock.

Apologies if this is mentioned in a previous post.
I've upgraded the firmware (Thank you, it's fantastic) and went into my main Router (RBR50) and followed the nvram instructions to continue to allow my separation of SSIDs. What I couldn't find is if I need to follow any of those sames steps for the satelite as well, or if doing that is only needed on the main router.
Thank you!

Apologies if this is mentioned in a previous post.
I've upgraded the firmware (Thank you, it's fantastic) and went into my main Router (RBR50) and followed the nvram instructions to continue to allow my separation of SSIDs. What I couldn't find is if I need to follow any of those sames steps for the satelite as well, or if doing that is only needed on the main router.
Thank you!

Not positive but it seems like that setting would only apply to the router, and it would “push” the info the satellites.

Sadly, as myself and others have noted on the past several release's and possibly more (considering I was new to this just a short time ago), a FACTORY RESET WILL (soft)BRICK your ROUTER.

It would be nice if he would put this in the quickstart, and EVERY RELEASE post so new people like yourself, myself, and others, dont end up down that valley (until its fixed of course)

Sadly, as myself and others have noted on the past several release's and possibly more (considering I was new to this just a short time ago), a FACTORY RESET WILL (soft)BRICK your ROUTER.

It would be nice if he would put this in the quickstart, and EVERY RELEASE post so new people like yourself, myself, and others, dont end up down that valley (until its fixed of course)

Did you noticed there is QuickStart.txt in ziped file?

1. Flashing Voxel's custom firmware build and rolling back to the stock.
Nothing special. The procedure is similar to flashing downloaded official stock
firmware. In general all your current settings (used in the stock firmware) should be
kept. But it is recommended to make the backup of your current settings before flashing.
Identically you can revert to the stock firmware.

Finally updated to Voxel firmware. Running AP mode,split SSID for main network and guest (4 SSIDs total) . Having some stability problems compared to the stock 2.3.5.30 I'm coming from. Did factory resets to all ORBIs after upgrade, TFTPed firmware back into router (unexpected pain).

I've got the router and 3 satellites, one satellite used to daisy chain off another as its in a different building far from the router, but with Voxel it seems that doesn't to happen even with daisy chain enabled. Anybody else running daisy-chain enabled and working? I don't even know if I can trust the attached devices display. It seems impossible that SAT3 is directly attached to the router. Its hundreds of feet away through 2 exterior and several interior walls. ORBI daisy chain has been the only way to bridge that gap up to date.

Thanks.

Did you noticed there is QuickStart.txt in ziped file?

1. Flashing Voxel's custom firmware build and rolling back to the stock.
Nothing special. The procedure is similar to flashing downloaded official stock
firmware. In general all your current settings (used in the stock firmware) should be
kept. But it is recommended to make the backup of your current settings before flashing.
Identically you can revert to the stock firmware.

I suggest you fully read a comment before replying to it.

Case in point my post specifically says: "It would be nice if he would put this in the quickstart"
The "this" point being that if you FACTORY RESET (rolling back firmware to stock is a totally different thing) the router while running the Voxel firmware it soft bricks it, which is no-where in the quickstart and is no way "nothing special".
Its either you didn't read the comment, or didn't comprehend it, either way, I hopefully have provided you enlightenment.

Last edited:
What process have you been doing to correct the RBR after it's soft bricked?
Are you using the TFTP process to get stock FW back on?

What process have you been doing to correct the RBR after it's soft bricked?
Are you using the TFTP process to get stock FW back on?
I know this wasn't to me but , yes I used the standard TFTP to reload stock firmware then reupdated to Voxels latest.

Did you use the TFTP program that NG provides or the one built in to Windows?
I know this wasn't to me but , yes I used the standard TFTP to reload stock firmware then reupdated to Voxels latest.

Great. I hear the user on mac host his recovered. Wheew. Hoping that Voxel can make the reset button work for Orbi. I guess users should revert back to stock FW first before resetting the RBR. At least until Voxel can get the reset button and process working as expected. o_O

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!