What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.18SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.18.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flashed Voxel firmware on an Orbi RBR50 and it was running fine. It experienced a power cycle (I knocked the power cube out with my knee :) ) and it now reboots (fast LED flash) and then goes into a white LED pulsing varying brightness up an down). Seems like a soft-brick. Ethernet ports are dead (no link status) and I can't do TFTP, but I see that plugging in a USB drive gets some activity on the drive. Any chance there is a UBS recovery trick or a way to "autorun" a firmware update to reflash? Doesn't pulsing white mean trying to do factory reset or config update? Thanks.

Scott

I'd suggest to follow this instruction

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-v-9-2-5-1-18-1sf-hw.64414/page-2#post-589971

and to take into account this

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-v-9-2-5-1-18-1sf-hw.64414/page-2#post-590020

(i.e. "do not release reset button about 30 sec".)

P.S.
It is difficult to hard brick the router with u-boot... It should be recoverable.

Vooxel.

@Voxel

I dont know if this is a good idea but this domain:
netgear-devrecog.fing.io

is very talkative and won't shutup. I blocked it using PiHole and it sends thousands of requests. Wonder if you can disable it.

netgear-devrecog.fing.io
I cannot say what for it is used. It is inside pre-built binary from NG/DNI.

I blocked it using PiHole and it sends thousands of requests. Wonder if you can disable it.
Usually I block unwanted sites/domains using DNSCrypt-Proxy V.2. Directly on Orbi. It is very easy. My blacklist.txt contains 3070 sites and domains. Including all youtube sites :) [Parental control, you know...]

Voxel.

Ok,
Tried this, had two cmd line windows open, one running ping and the other set for the put command:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img

Powered ON RBR while reset button was pressed, held for 30 seconds then released. (I noticed the ping started to respond at about 8-10 seconds after powering ON the RBR.) Then hit the command. The command immediately went back to a command prompt. I saw nothing load to the RBR. I have a bitmeter network graph that shows any data flow UP and Down. I saw some low data on the up but was nothing long or large enough it signify a file being sent. Possible my browser I had open doing something. I waited for a while to see if anything changed on the RBR. Saw nothing.

LED is RED and not amber. I presume this is expected?

Usually I do the following: I open two command prompt windows. First is waiting the pressing Enter with TFTP command, second is running the command:

Code:
ping -t 192.168.1.1

i.e. endless "ping" to router. When you see that ping is started and continues it means that time to press the Enter key for TFTP client. Router is ready for TFTP

Code:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
. . .

Just when you follow this instruction

Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.

do not release reset button about 30 sec.

Voxel.

Ok,
Tried this, had two cmd line windows open, one running ping and the other set for the put command:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img

Powered ON RBR while reset button was pressed, held for 30 seconds then released. (I noticed the ping started to respond at about 8-10 seconds after powering ON the RBR.) Then hit the command. The command immediately went back to a command prompt. I saw nothing load to the RBR. I have a bitmeter network graph that shows any data flow UP and Down. I saw some low data on the up but was nothing long or large enough it signify a file being sent. Possible my browser I had open doing something. I waited for a while to see if anything changed on the RBR. Saw nothing.

LED is RED and not amber. I presume this is expected?
Tried this? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...s50-v-9-2-5-1-9sf-hw.60727/page-3#post-540695

The command immediately went back to a command prompt.
It is wrong. There should be some pause until img of the stock is really transferred to the router. After that TFTP displays something like ### bytes were transferred to 192.168.1.1 (I do not remember exact message).

Did you enable TFTP client in Windows (not enabled by dafault)?

Maybe it has a sense to

(a) Run Windows Command Prompt as Administrator (where from you run TFTP).
(b) Disable (temporary) your Windows firewall.

Voxel.

Ya I don't see any bytes sent results, just goes to a command prompt.

Yes, it's enabled in windows. I checked to make sure TFTP was a valid executable in the command line before running the real put command.
Command line run as Admin always.
Firewall is always disabled on my PC.

I'm going to try a Windows 7 PC to see if there is any results there.

It is wrong. There should be some pause until img of the stock is really transferred to the router. After that TFTP displays something like ### bytes were transferred to 192.168.1.1 (I do not remember exact message).

Did you enable TFTP client in Windows (not enabled by dafault)?

Maybe it has a sense to

(a) Run Windows Command Prompt as Administrator (where from you run TFTP).
(b) Disable (temporary) your Windows firewall.

Voxel.

OK, My windows 7 PC sent the file and the RBR50 is now recovered to Stock FW.
Must be something on my Windows 10 PC not working for TFTP and Orbi for some reason. It had recovered a RAX80 a couple of weeks ago using Windows 10. Not sure why Windows 10 isn't working. Glad I have a old Windows 7 Laptop. I presume the 3rd party TFTP64 app will work here as well. I used the command line though. ;)

So. Will be sure to downgrade to stock from Voxels FW before doing any factory resets.

I hope that Voxel can resolve the factory reset problem in his FW in the future.

Thank you.

Fing is an open source software and service to recognize devices (cameras, PCs, IoT devices, etc.).

Yes but if it modified by NG/DNI and who knows what is changed for their internal needs. I really do not want to start reverse-engineering...

Description:
Package: dil
Version: 0.1.0-1
Depends: libc, libpthread, librt, d2, libcrypt0, libssl, libcurl
Source: package/ntgr/dil
Section: dil
Architecture: ipq806x
Installed-Size: 93526
Description: Netgear Data Abstraction Layer 2

File list:
/etc/init.d/dil
/usr/lib/libdalcjson.so
/usr/lib/libd2dil.so
/etc/dil/file1.txt
/usr/bin/diltest
/etc/dil/file2.txt
/usr/bin/fing_dil
/etc/init.d/dil_boot.sh
/usr/bin/jsontest

Voxel.

"Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.18SF-HW):

1. "Reset to factory settings" option is temporary disabled in WebGUI."
As a suggestion, Voxel, you might include the following in this line of text. "If the system needs a factory reset, users will need to revert back to stock FW, then perform the factory reset. Then re-load Voxels FW." Would be more helpful as a reminder to users using your FW since this feature is disabled on your FW.

;)

Thanks. Have you ever tried to connect a serial port to the 4 pin header on the board and use the serial method?

Scott

I'd suggest to follow this instruction

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-v-9-2-5-1-18-1sf-hw.64414/page-2#post-589971

and to take into account this

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-v-9-2-5-1-18-1sf-hw.64414/page-2#post-590020

(i.e. "do not release reset button about 30 sec".)

P.S.
It is difficult to hard brick the router with u-boot... It should be recoverable.

Vooxel.

Thanks. Have you ever tried to connect a serial port to the 4 pin header on the board and use the serial method?

Scott

No. There were no needs (at least yet). Only two times of soft bricks (Oct-Nov 2019, when I just started with Orbi).

Voxel.

After testing the new init script, and mounting an internal partition like it was an USB disk, I cannot login with SSH again using password. Is there a nvram parameter to disable the forced cert auth on SSH? Can I put mi own sshd.conf file anywhere on overlay folder to change this behaviour?
The firmware is using dropbear. You can create a file in /mnt/sda1/overlay/etc/init.d/dropbear
The script will allow you to set a different port
Its better to copy the original file from /etc/init.d/dropbear

the certs originally in /etc/dropbear - so if you want to change them place them in /mnt/sda1/overlay/etc/dropbear

I have had similar issues not being able to login via ssh after an upgrade. I rebooted the router, logged in via web, changes the admin password - then logged in via ssh.

I hope this helps.

Voxel,
Thank you for taking the time to make a great firmware for the Orbi's. I have been trying to make a split tunnel configuration for wiregaurd by editing the wg-client script.
1. The wireguard.conf file only allows LocalIP="10.0.xxx.xxx" then is hardcoded for a /24 netmask. Can you please change that as some wireguard vpn providers (Mullvad) use a /32 netmask. The line in the wg-client script is:
ip address add dev wg0 "$LocalIP"/24
which would need to change to
ip address add dev wg0 "$LocalIP"
Then the line in the config file would need to be updated to
EndPoint="wireguard.5july.net"
LocalIP="10.0.xxx.xxx/xx"
PrivateKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
PublicKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
Port="48574"
2. I would like to perform a split tunnel vpn using wireguard. In the wg-client script the file hardcodes the
"AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0 and then later sets wg0 as the default route.

3. I have tried many different options to workaround this - but I am stumped. If I manually change the wg-client file it updates and executes correctly, however I cannot force the routes. I have added lines such as
ifconfig br0:0 192.168.6.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up (which works as a second interface to br0)
however no matter what I do to the route statements and firewall statements in the wg-script file the wireguard driver does not route the traffic correctly. The tunnel comes up correctly and I can ping from within the router the far end of the vpn.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Everything works perfect when its set as a default route - but performing a split tunnel would be amazing. I would be happy to test or document the feature for you.

Yours - Movcpm.

PS- If anyone figures out the automatic logout timer for the webpage that would be a bonus.

2. I would like to perform a split tunnel vpn using wireguard.

Check this post I made: #25
This allows to configure split tunnel, on IP level, or even on port level.
It should work with WireGuard, but I didn't test it there.

Your post did trigger me to inspect the init-script /etc/init.d/wg-client.
The way that it modifies the routing tables could use some improvements. I think it can be simplified a bit.
And if we can simplify the Wireguard init script, then we no longer require the workarounds in VPN bypass / split tunnel scripts.

PS- If anyone figures out the automatic logout timer for the webpage that would be a bonus.
Kamoj's addon has an option to disable it.
But I think that addon only works for R7800 & R9000
(Kamoj's add-on also allows split-tunnel via his option VPN Bypassing (based on IP only).
My script mentioned above, is an modification of his VPN bypass, with some improvements.)

Voxel,
Thank you for taking the time to make a great firmware for the Orbi's. I have been trying to make a split tunnel configuration for wiregaurd by editing the wg-client script.
1. The wireguard.conf file only allows LocalIP="10.0.xxx.xxx" then is hardcoded for a /24 netmask. Can you please change that as some wireguard vpn providers (Mullvad) use a /32 netmask. The line in the wg-client script is:
ip address add dev wg0 "$LocalIP"/24
which would need to change to
ip address add dev wg0 "$LocalIP"
Then the line in the config file would need to be updated to
EndPoint="wireguard.5july.net"
LocalIP="10.0.xxx.xxx/xx"
PrivateKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
PublicKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
Port="48574"
2. I would like to perform a split tunnel vpn using wireguard. In the wg-client script the file hardcodes the
"AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0 and then later sets wg0 as the default route.

3. I have tried many different options to workaround this - but I am stumped. If I manually change the wg-client file it updates and executes correctly, however I cannot force the routes. I have added lines such as
ifconfig br0:0 192.168.6.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up (which works as a second interface to br0)
however no matter what I do to the route statements and firewall statements in the wg-script file the wireguard driver does not route the traffic correctly. The tunnel comes up correctly and I can ping from within the router the far end of the vpn.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Everything works perfect when its set as a default route - but performing a split tunnel would be amazing. I would be happy to test or document the feature for you.

Yours - Movcpm.

Well, I agree to use your suggested changes (p. 1). For the next release. Thank you. But cannot promise currently any help like split vpn tunnel. Orbi is used extremely intensively for a work and school now. Cannot do any experiments now. Maybe later, sorry...

Voxel.

Got the serial port working on Orbi RBR 50 and debricked my "spare" router. This provides access to U-Boot and also the Busybox console after the kernel is up and running. See attached information. Let me know if this isn't clear. The router is running fine now but Ethernet still dead. I think I have a hardware problem with the QAC8075 interface. Looking into that more.

Scott

Attachments

• Orbi Serial Port.pdf
    418.7 KB · Views: 2,710

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!