What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.9SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-0-43sf-hw.60634/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.1.9SF-HW.

Changes (vs 2.5.0.43SF-HW):

1. Integration of changes from the stock v. 2.1.5.8.
2. WireGuard package is upgraded 20191212->20191219.
3. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.9.5->1.9.6.
4. iw package is added.
5. Options in nvram to disable Armor (BitDefender) and Circle update daemons are added.
6. Huge Armor installation and update tarballs are removed to avoid oversize of firmware
(cloud-like installation from https://www.voxel-firmware.com/, tarballs are moved to this site).

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Merry Christmas,
Voxel.

Merry Christmas Voxel!

Thank you Voxel. Merry Christmas.

Hello,

I upgraded to your latest firmware from 2.5.0.42 and now I can't get into the router settings. In fact, the orbi doesn't seem to be recognized at all. I was using it as an AP. Power cycle and reset with a paper clip does nothing, it just pulses white. Any suggestions? Is it pooched?

Did you press the reset button for 15 seconds? Try this and ensure your wired PC is set to automatic IP addressing. it should see a 192.168.1.something address on the network adapter. Clear all browser caches and then navigate to 192.168.1.1. Should get the routers web page setup wizard here...

Leave the RBR disconnected from the main host router.

Hello,

I upgraded to your latest firmware from 2.5.0.42 and now I can't get into the router settings. In fact, the orbi doesn't seem to be recognized at all. I was using it as an AP. Power cycle and reset with a paper clip does nothing, it just pulses white. Any suggestions? Is it pooched?

Glad I kept the RBR50 and RBS50 someone gave me a while back. 9.2.5.1.9SF-HW flashed OK to router and satellite.
Couple of questions:
For a custom stubby.yml will I have to put that on a USB (/overlay/etc/stubby.yml)?
Will Stubby retrieve keys automatically on boot and are there any issues with time sync with Stubby?

Did you press the reset button for 15 seconds? Try this and ensure your wired PC is set to automatic IP addressing. it should see a 192.168.1.something address on the network adapter. Clear all browser caches and then navigate to 192.168.1.1. Should get the routers web page setup wizard here...

Leave the RBR disconnected from the main host router.
Tried everything you suggested. Even after the reset it still just pulses white. Can't even get in with plugging pc directly into RBR, and plugging RBR back into isp modem or even directly in the fibre modem neither recognize with an ip address. Nothing on 192.168.1.1, when set up as AP on my isp modem it was 192.168.1.68. Getting worried that I can't even log back in to flash with an older firmware

Did you disconnect the RBR from the modem before the reset? If the AP got a 192.168.1.68 address before, this tells me the ISP modem is using same IP address string which will conflict with the RBR when it's reset as it will default to also 192.168.1.1. Is your PC getting an IP address at all with it being wired to the RBR and the RBR disconnected from the modem? Look at the network settings and status for the network adapter on your PC to see if it gets a 192 or 10 or 169 IP address, If it's 169 and doesn't change, then there is a problem with the RBR.

Did you disconnect the RBR from the modem before the reset? If the AP got a 192.168.1.68 address before, this tells me the ISP modem is using same IP address string which will conflict with the RBR when it's reset as it will default to also 192.168.1.1. Is your PC getting an IP address at all with it being wired to the RBR and the RBR disconnected from the modem? Look at the network settings and status for the network adapter on your PC to see if it gets a 192 or 10 or 169 IP address, If it's 169 and doesn't change, then there is a problem with the RBR.
I tried the reset a few times. I think the first may have been while still connected to isp modem. When rbr disconnected from modem and pc connected to rbr I can't access 192.168.1.1 at all. When I reset the rbr it flashes the orange power light correctly and then when I release the paper clip the status indicator light flashes white white and then pulses, but the power light doesn't come back on. Only when I power cycle the unit does the power light come back on (and status still stay on white pulsing).

I forgot to mention that my isp modem has a default 192.168.1.254 ip address so the 192.168.1.1 shouldn't conflict, I just can't get into it on the rbr

I forgot to mention that my isp modem has a default 192.168.1.254 ip address so the 192.168.1.1 shouldn't conflict, I just can't get into it on the rbr
Maybe this is your problem. Doing a reset on the Orbi turns it back into a router with a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. If you connect to the Orbi router from one if its Ethernet ports it will assign an IP address to your device in the 192.168.1.x range and you should be able to connect to the router. However, with your modem assigning IP's in the 192.168.1.x range as well you will not be able to connect to the internet through the Orbi until you assign the Orbi an IP address other than 192.168.1.1 or turn it into an access point and let your modem hand out IP addresses.

Glad I kept the RBR50 and RBS50 someone gave me a while back. 9.2.5.1.9SF-HW flashed OK to router and satellite.
Couple of questions:
For a custom stubby.yml will I have to put that on a USB (/overlay/etc/stubby.yml)?
Will Stubby retrieve keys automatically on boot and are there any issues with time sync with Stubby?
Answered my own question.
A USB drive (EXT4 format) with /overlay/etc/stubby/stubby.yml and the stubby.yml with your custom settings does work. The root keys are dynamically retrieved and stored in /tmp/stubby/
Here is what I use for stubby.yml to get to Quad9:
Code:
dns_transport_list:
  - GETDNS_TRANSPORT_TLS
tls_authentication: GETDNS_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED
tls_query_padding_blocksize: 128
edns_client_subnet_private : 1
round_robin_upstreams: 0
idle_timeout: 10000
tls_ciphersuites: "TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256:TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256"
tls_min_version: GETDNS_TLS1_2
tls_max_version: GETDNS_TLS1_3
listen_addresses:
  - 127.0.0.1@64153
  - 0::1@64153
dnssec: GETDNS_EXTENSION_TRUE
appdata_dir: "/tmp/stubby"
upstream_recursive_servers:
## Quad 9 'secure' service - Filters, does DNSSEC, doesn't send ECS
  - address_data: 9.9.9.9
    tls_auth_name: "dns.quad9.net"
  - address_data: 149.112.112.112
    tls_auth_name: "dns.quad9.net"
# Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
#  - address_data: 1.1.1.1
#    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
#  - address_data: 1.0.0.1
#    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
I pruned out the unneeded stuff like most of the comments/instruction. There are arguments for and against TLS Min and Max settings but they seem to work OK for Quad9. I also turn off round_robin as my experience with stubby shows it is not needed for me.
However, I did notice the Orbi GUI had a warning about not connecting to a time server but the time was set correctly. Early testing stubby on Asus showed this to be a problem which was overcome with a settings change to dnsmasq but this version uses unbound and I'll need to research if it is necessary to change anything or just ignore the warning.
Enough testing for today...

Thats still in the same range, 192.168.1.x.

You can change the IP address of the modem or the IP address of the RBR. I use 192.168.0.1 on my RBR.

And please be so kind to share your experience having different SSIDs (5 and 2.4). After some time of using of course...

Voxel.

And please be so kind to share your experience having different SSIDs (5 and 2.4). After some time of using of course...

Voxel.

I am back to a single SSID after your firmware. Most everything is working as it should. I have a couple Roku’s that still want to connect to 2.4 but I plan to run Ethernet to them next month. I am going to install your latest update and I will let you know how it goes. I may try separate SSIDs again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work Voxel

I installed the new version yesterday 2.5.1.9
It went smooth and I installed the Entware on USB and all working great
today I have seen something a bit strange which I am still testing ( in some locations between the router and Satellite the phone can not get IP although I see the signal very good )

I did not have this issue on the stock firmware - still investigating will keep you updated

Quick Question : where would I place a startup script that would survive a reboot

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!