What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.8SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel,
Good point on circle, etc... I don't think I explicitly disable them.
I can do that as part of my test plan.

I noticed it uses yeah and I switched to cubic without any significant difference.

I had not tried the dlsreports speed test! I usually use fast.com, ooklah and the xfinity one (since that is my provider and they state they can review those logs).
It seems to be much better actually, though the CLI version on Linux doesn't seem to process the bufferbloat test as far as I can tell...

I'm still on stock 2.7.2.102

687 up, 22.74 down - bufferbloat 60ms, 61ms, 886ms on upload (F)

I switched eth0 and eth1 from pfifo_fast to a single fq_codel root and eliminated the bufferbloat seen!
672 up, 41 down - bufferbloat 36ms, 71ms, 53ms (A)

I just got a replacement part for my main workstation that I'd been waiting on... So, I should have a viable build environment later today! :)

Monday I may have a chance to mess with the router a bit... So I will hopefully have a firmware comparison then (unless I stay up late one of these nights).

Do you have any specific recommendations on a test process?
i.e. reset & restore config, reset and manually reconfigure, no reset required... which versions to do in what order

Thanks!

It would be good if you do that...

It is difficult to reproduce your problem, my connection provided by my ISP is different and slower.

So let us try to talk in the terms of stock firmware. 2.5.2.4 stock is bad for you (as far as I understand). 2.7.x stock: solid speed. Main changes 2.5.4.x vs 2.7.x are in Circle and Armor. Do you use these add-ons and did not you try to disable them when using my build? Maybe one of them or both are the reason? I have them disabled. @Skippy Bosco too.

Also (to say true I do not think it could help) but did not you try to change the congestion control algorithm? My version is using yeah by default. Stock: cubic as far as I remember.

And did not you try to test by dslreports speed test. I mean: bufferbloat(?).

Voxel.

Hey Voxel,

great work as usual, I am not sure if it is an Individual Problem or general but I have had Some roaming issues between Router and Satellite for my Android on 9.2.5.2.8SF-HW i reverted back to 9.2.5.2.7.1SF-HW and did a reset and it was working fine after that
hope this helps

Any one noticed lately that there are Wifi drops?

I am not sure if its my devices, the Netgear hardware/antenna, or the firmware. Maybe just coincidence. I am on latest Voxel firmware.

Guys just so you know, it appears to be iOS. It has a new Wifi system that gives you a "private mac address" . When you disable that you no longer shoukd face the issue

Last edited:
Any plans to addd wpa_supplicant capability to your firmware? It's in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware but that only works with Asus, and I'm a Netgear person. Thoughts?

I have had Some roaming issues between Router and Satellite for my Android on 9.2.5.2.8SF-HW i reverted back to 9.2.5.2.7.1SF-HW and did a reset and it was working fine after that
There should not be such problems .7.1SF-HW vs .8SF-HW (changes). I do not have such an issue.

Well, skip .8SF-HW and wait for .9SF-HW (coming soon).

Voxel.

Any plans to addd wpa_supplicant capability to your firmware? It's in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware but that only works with Asus, and I'm a Netgear person. Thoughts?

1611596631995.png

?

Voxel.

Voxel,
Good point on circle, etc... I don't think I explicitly disable them.
I can do that as part of my test plan.

I noticed it uses yeah and I switched to cubic without any significant difference.

I had not tried the dlsreports speed test! I usually use fast.com, ooklah and the xfinity one (since that is my provider and they state they can review those logs).
It seems to be much better actually, though the CLI version on Linux doesn't seem to process the bufferbloat test as far as I can tell...

I'm still on stock 2.7.2.102

687 up, 22.74 down - bufferbloat 60ms, 61ms, 886ms on upload (F)

I switched eth0 and eth1 from pfifo_fast to a single fq_codel root and eliminated the bufferbloat seen!
672 up, 41 down - bufferbloat 36ms, 71ms, 53ms (A)

I just got a replacement part for my main workstation that I'd been waiting on... So, I should have a viable build environment later today! :)

Monday I may have a chance to mess with the router a bit... So I will hopefully have a firmware comparison then (unless I stay up late one of these nights).

Do you have any specific recommendations on a test process?
i.e. reset & restore config, reset and manually reconfigure, no reset required... which versions to do in what order

Thanks!
Hi everyone , i'm a noob here so sorry in advance for the dumb questions.

My main reason for installing Voxel firmware was to deal with bufferbloat . Since i'm a v2 owner i gathered that i can't use most of stuff that make the firmware great . Is there anyway to access the setting you're talking about here " pfifo_fast to a single fq-codel" , or i'm SOL ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!