What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.74SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skypx

Regular Contributor
First let me state I am not accusing anyone of anything. However I found some really disturbing entries with an ASUS RT-AC88U setup in router mode and a Netgear X4S R7800 as an access point with the latest R7800 Voxel firmware installed.

While examining the traffic classifications for my network via the ASUS RT-AC88U, I noticed more than 50 entries for bittorrent traffic coming from the Netgear X4S R7800. Since I don't use bittorrent clients I was concerned, so I reset the Netgear X4S R7800 to defaults. After the reset/setup was complete I noticed the entries continued so now I'm thinking WTF!

Then I downloaded the latest firmware from Netgear (V1.0.2.68) and installed it. Now without a reset to defaults ALL the bittorrent traffic is gone. Am I missing something is the the intended behavior of Voxel's firmware?

Netgear R7800.jpg

Transmission is by default installed and enabled on Voxel's firmware. Even without using it, it'll look up DHT nodes. To turn it off permanently, execute

/etc/init.d/transmission stop

nvram set transmission_disable=1

nvram commit

Reboot the router

Transmission is by default installed and enabled on Voxel's firmware. Even without using it, it'll look up DHT nodes. To turn it off permanently, execute

nvram commit

Reboot the router

Thanks for the reply @microchip. Guess I should have read the fine print before installing Voxel's firmware. The issue is my ISP would throttle my bandwidth (t mobile DE) and I couldn't figure out why. This has been going on for more than a year now.

Thanks for the reply @microchip. Guess I should have read the fine print before installing Voxel's firmware. The issue is my ISP would throttle my bandwidth (t mobile DE) and I couldn't figure out why. This has been going on for more than a year now.

Maybe you should call up your ISP and ask why they do that?

I'm not 100% sure if my ISP is throttling our internet connection due to bittorrent traffic, but for over a year I have been trying to troubleshoot the throttling issue without any success.

Maybe you should call up your ISP and ask why they do that?
I suspect two reasons:

1. Every 13-year-old l337 h4ck3r p1r473 uses bittorrent.
2. Cable companies do NOT like it when you upload a lot. It slows down the upstream connection for everyone on your sub-network. Fiber optic ISPs don't care.

nvram commit

Reboot the router

sorry for a noob question. What is the benefit of this? Thank you.

sorry for a noob question. What is the benefit of this? Thank you.

Benefit of what? If you don't use transmission to download torrents to an HDD attatched to the router, you better disable it. It will free up some RAM as well

Benefit of what? If you don't use transmission to download torrents to an HDD attatched to the router, you better disable it. It will free up some RAM as well

Thank you for the answer. Benefit of having those running on the router even though we are not using it. Your second sentence answered it. Thanks again.

nvram commit

Reboot the router
I use my 7800 in router mode and I'm running 74SF.

I followed your instructions.

Is there a way to verify the DHT nodes lookup is disabled using the 7800?

When Voxel releases newer firmware, do I need to execute your instructions again?

Thanks

There is no offical thread for R7800 v. 1.0.2.74SF so i just gonna add something in this thread. I've been using this new firmware for couple days and 1 thing i noticed was the "port forwarding". The functionality works but it stops forwarding after a day or two. Not all them, just randomly on my port forwarding list. I need to reboot the router to get it working again. I am still monitoring. The worst case, can i downgrade to the previous version?

When Voxel releases newer firmware, do I need to execute your instructions again?

All settings in nvram should be kept even if you flash my newer version. So if you disable transmission according to microchip hints, you do not need to repeat this procedure again after flashing new version of my build.

In general, the right comments to "WTF":

After the reset/setup was complete I noticed the entries continued so now I'm thinking WTF!

are just "RTFM"... :)

P.S.

If you do not need such stuffs as ReadyCLOUD, Transmission, Kwilt: it is possible to disable all these stuffs once and to have all this disabled even after flashing newer versions... See my README.

Voxel.

i noticed was the "port forwarding". The functionality works but it stops forwarding after a day or two. Not all them, just randomly on my port forwarding list.

I have 22 port forwarding... All of them are working. I have to use them daily (1.0.2.74SF). Could you say what port stops to work?

Voxel.

All settings in nvram should be kept even if you flash my newer version. So if you disable transmission according to microchip hints, you do not need to repeat this procedure again after flashing new version of my build.

P.S.

If you do not need such stuffs as ReadyCLOUD, Transmission, Kwilt: it is possible to disable all these stuffs once and to have all this disabled even after flashing newer versions... See my README.

Voxel.
Voxel's readme.docx link: http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/readme.docx

I use my 7800 in router mode and I'm running 74SF.

I followed your instructions.

Is there a way to verify the DHT nodes lookup is disabled using the 7800?

Thanks

There is no easy way since they're all dynamic and use random ports. But if transmission is fully disabled and not started, I think it is safe to say it won't look up those.

It happened again. It didn't stop the port forwarding 100% but the connection is super slow. Only affecting the wireless devices (IP), hard wires are ok.

P.S.

Voxel.
Hi @Voxel
Transmission is not working with https tracker on R7800 with the latest .74F firmware. Please look into the matter if you can.. I really need Transmission as my torrent provider blocked all other torrent Clients.

Transmission is not working with https tracker on R7800 with the latest .74F firmware.
There were no changes in 74SF vs 72SF or 73SF that would change the Transmission work. So maybe temporary problem. I am not expert in torrent world, sorry. Just I use it (very rarely) to download some files such as Debian ISO...

Voxel.

There were no changes in 74SF vs 72SF or 73SF that would change the Transmission work. So maybe temporary problem. I am not expert in torrent world, sorry. Just I use it (very rarely) to download some files such as Debian ISO...

Voxel.
Thanks for the reply. The torrent site I use has changed their policy from January 1, 2020. They blocked all torrent clients except QBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge, Tixati and BiglyBT. So Netgear Downloader is not working. Transmission from your firmware was working before but since January 1, 2020 it is not working as well. Download doesn't start, getting (!) error. So I installed dd-wrt to check if their Transmission works or Web version of Transmission blocked in all firmware. I found out that Transmission in dd-wrt firmware was working fine for me but in Voxel-Firmware it doesn't.

BTW: I really want torrent download facility as because I mainly use iOS devices. And as you can imagine it is very difficult (nearly impossible) to download torrents on iOS devices. I don't have access to PC/Laptop. So any help will be much appreciable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!