What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.80SF & v. 1.0.2.80.4SF & v. 1.0.2.80.5SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quickfix/Snapshot version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.80.4SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.80SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.1->1.15.2.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.35->2.35.1.
3. Add ARM acceleration to kernel crypto SHA1.
4. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1g->1.1.1h.
5. jansson package is upgraded 2.12->2.13.1.
6. libjson-c package is upgraded 0.14->0.15.
7. expat package is upgraded 2.2.9->2.2.10.
8. nano package is upgraded 5.2->5.3.
9. transmission-web-control package is upgraded 2019-07-24->1.6.1+ (2020-09-26).
10. Change SAMBA config generation (for Android/iOS gadgets, issue reported by Rustypouch).
11. Make an order in samba36 Makefile.
12. Fix proftpd issue: change cmdftp (thanks to R. Gerrits).
13. Fix proftpd issue: display size of large file (thanks to R. Gerrits).

Voxel.

Great job again Voxel. I have flashed this firmware and can confirm that streaming over the network with SMB is working on both my Android and iOS device. Thanks for the fix.

A little off topic, but how do you access your SMB from iOS built in explorer?
I have ReadyShare set to basic, one network folder (optware, admin, admin), and I only enable Network Neighborhood/MacShare with admin access.

I can access the share from Android, Windows, but never was able from the iOS built in Explorer (when I use connect to server, it says that the file already exists, then the share appears empty and read only).
Third party iOS apps like FE File Explorer are accessing it no problem.

You are referring to the standard app "Files"?
click in the right top corner -> Connect to server
server = smb://192.168.1.1
user = admin
passwd = your password

user = admin
passwd = your password
Yep, and this is what I do. It never worked. It first says that the file already exists (???), then validating again, it shows the share on the list, but shows as read only and is empty.
Must be sometching in smb.conf on the router, but I did not tweak anything there but I will now.

perhaps extfs permissions on the root folder that is being shared?
It is ext4, /mnt/sda1 is drwxrwxrwx, /mnt/optware (alias to it) is lrwxrwxrwx
Using FE File Explorer, no problem, can navigate and read/write.
Using basic Files, does not work (empty and says read only)

user = admin
passwd = your password

Yep, and this is what I do. It never worked.

Strange. Checked right now from my iphone. I was able to connect. And played MP3 file from tmp directory with 777 permission. But only I've used not smb://192.168.1.1 but smb://192.168.1.1/optware (name of my share). iOS 14.01.

I've used "admin" user and WebGUI password.

Voxel.

VLC works as most third parties apps. Apple Files does not.
IOS 13.7 [updated to 14.0.1, same problem]
Not a big deal, it always was like that. Just strange.

Last edited:
A little off topic, but how do you access your SMB from iOS built in explorer?
I have ReadyShare set to basic, one network folder (optware, admin, admin), and I only enable Network Neighborhood/MacShare with admin access.

I can access the share from Android, Windows, but never was able from the iOS built in Explorer (when I use connect to server, it says that the file already exists, then the share appears empty and read only).
Third party iOS apps like FE File Explorer are accessing it no problem.

I don't on iOS. I only use it for streaming media and for that I just use VLC Player.

@Rustypouch accessed his share from VLC. It works now too (at least from iOS).

Voxel.

Using VLC works on all my Android and iOS devices now, thanks.

Should I keep this as my main router and shut off wifi and remove the two TP-LINK routers I have been using as APs, because I am introducing an Eero 3 pack that I want to use as APs (all Eeros will be hard wired). Or should I just use the Eero system and drop the R7800? I have 60-70 devices connected and want best wired throughput with a solid wifi connection, don't care too much about wifi speed as long as I can hit 100 for 4K streaming.

Last edited:
Should I keep this as my main router and shut off wifi and remove the two TP-LINK routers I have been using as APs, because I am introducing an Eero 3 pack that I want to use as APs. Or should I just use the Eero system and drop the R7800? I have 60-70 devices connected and want best wired throughput with a solid wifi connection, don't care too much about wifi speed as long as I can hit 100 for 4K streaming.

The R7800 is currently top of the class AC router NETGEAR has to offer, both for throughput and wifi coverage. I'd keep it working

The R7800 is currently top of the class AC router NETGEAR has to offer, both for throughput and wifi coverage. I'd keep it working

I keep getting Wifi drops, I think the two TP-LINK router/APs might be the culprit. My house is a 2000 sq ft log cabin, two of the APs are in the main living room in opposite corners, perhaps they are too close? I think using the wifi of the R7800 and all three Eeros would be overkill.

after a clean install (nvram default + mtd erase netgear), comming from 1.2.80 (but with a lot of altered settings) , I've noticed a 30% boost on smb3 speed.
Just interesting. You mean Wi-Fi client connection by SMB? Or wired? I do not think that speed of samba over ethernet is improved... Well, maybe a bit. Wireless - probably, but 30%...

Funnily...

Voxel.

Continuation of
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-78sf.64890/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-79sf.65364/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.80SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.79SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.14.6->1.15.1.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.34->2.35.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.0.2 package: change default config directory.
4. net-lan init script bug is fixed (thanks to kamoj).
5. qcawifi.sh: Fix for guest Wi-Fi allowing DNS over TCP (thanks to R. Gerrits).
6. uhttpd: Fix of TLS 1.0/1.1 issue.
7. renice utility is added (needed for kamoj add-on).
8. util-linux package is upgraded 2.35.2->2.36.
9. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.10.1->1.11.0.
10. libubox package is upgraded 2020-07-11->2020-08-06.
11. nano package is upgraded 4.9.3->5.2.
12. curl package is upgraded 7.71.1->7.72.0 (fixing CVE-2020-8231).
13. SAMBA: Update SAMBA config generation.
14. sysstat package is upgraded 12.2.2->12.4.0.
15. sqlite package is upgraded 3320100->3330000.
16. ethtool package is upgraded 5.4->5.8.
17. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.8.1->3.9.
18. ez-ipupdate package build (internal developmet issue) is fixed.
19. radvd package build (internal developmet issue) is fixed.
20. phddns package build (internal developmet issue) is fixed.
21. Host tools: upgrade bison to 3.7.1.
22. Host tools: upgrade mpfr to 4.1.0.
23. Host tools: upgrade mpc to 1.2.0.

[Edited]

Quickfix/Snapshot version 1.0.2.80.4SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.80SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.1->1.15.2.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.35->2.35.1.
3. Add ARM acceleration to kernel crypto SHA1.
4. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1g->1.1.1h.
5. jansson package is upgraded 2.12->2.13.1.
6. libjson-c package is upgraded 0.14->0.15.
7. expat package is upgraded 2.2.9->2.2.10.
8. nano package is upgraded 5.2->5.3.
9. transmission-web-control package is upgraded 2019-07-24->1.6.1+ (2020-09-26).
10. Change SAMBA config generation (for Android/iOS gadgets, issue reported by Rustypouch).
11. Make an order in samba36 Makefile.
12. Fix proftpd issue: change cmdftp (thanks to R. Gerrits).
13. Fix proftpd issue: display size of large file (thanks to R. Gerrits).

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.
Just updated to 1.0.2.80.4SF no issues - Thank you Voxel

I see NETGEAR has released the sources of .74. Are you going to incorporate some of them? If so, don't replace net-wall as it's still broken when you feed it the -6 option for IPv6

I see NETGEAR has released the sources of .74. Are you going to incorporate some of them? If so, don't replace net-wall as it's still broken when you feed it the -6 option for IPv6

The only what I would like to integrate is AP mode fix. The rest is rather not interesting, maybe unstable and maybe even dangerous to use (e.g. use of encrypted partition, famous thread regarding broken nand). So net-wall will be not touched.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!