What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.96SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-94sf.78610/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-95sf.79173/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.96SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.95SF):

1. Toolchain: add patch to uClibc to fix CVE-2022-30295, score 6.5, Medium (Use predictable DNS transaction IDs that may lead to DNS cache poisoning).
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.18.3->1.18.4.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package: change the compiler flag '-fvect-cost-model=unlimited'->'-fvect-cost-model=dynamic'.
4. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1o->1.1.1q.
5. curl package is upgraded 7.83.1->7.84.0.
6. tcpdump package is upgraded 4.9.3->4.99.1.
7. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.16.0->1.16.1.
8. ethtool package is upgraded 5.17->5.18.
9. OpenSSL 0.9.8 package is upgraded 0.9.8zg->0.9.8zh.
10. iptables: add 'tee' support (iptables-mod-tee/kmod-ipt-tee packages).

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

I didn't know they were still releasing the source code for 0.9.8.
They do not. Since 2015. It was rather my issue that I did not update 0.9.8 to zh version but to zg:

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.95SF.

12. OpenSSL 0.9.8 package is upgraded 0.9.8p->0.9.8zg.

You see: zg is 2016, but zh is 2015 in this link. So my issue because of wrong sorting by 'date'.

Voxel.

Well, not bad: 2862 downloads for today evening (96SF). 7.5 hours since starting this thread... I think @kamoj add-on helps. Germany (Halle (Saale)) is the first. R7800 is very popular...
1657915355905.png

Voxel.

Well, not bad: 2862 downloads for today evening (96SF). 7.5 hours since starting this thread... I think @kamoj add-on helps. Germany (Halle (Saale)) is the first. R7800 is very popular...
View attachment 42841

Voxel.

The popularity is all thanks to you @Voxel!

Your amazing support, infinitely better than that of vendors is the reason I recommend this router to friends/family.
Heck, I even replaced my 'just fine' R6300 with another R7800 just so I could update to your images instead of staying stuck on ages old firmware.

Thanks again!

They do not. Since 2015. It was rather my issue that I did not update 0.9.8 to zh version but to zg:

You see: zg is 2016, but zh is 2015 in this link. So my issue because of wrong sorting by 'date'.

Voxel.

BTW, I made a mistake. I was looking for the 1.0.2 branch. The FTP site stopped in 2019, but there are newer versions. They're just not public.

I think my router is on its last legs, as after this firmware update, it went really weird overnight and I was unable to access the internet when I woke up. Powered it off and back on again, seemed to work, headed out, got back home, no internet. Did the same thing again, no luck. Did a basic reset, no luck. Did a long reset, got it back up, but now I don't know what to think. It's been a good router the six years I've had it, but it might be time to move on to something a bit more recent, with all what that entails.

I think my router is on its last legs, as after this firmware update, it went really weird overnight and I was unable to access the internet when I woke up. Powered it off and back on again, seemed to work, headed out, got back home, no internet. Did the same thing again, no luck. Did a basic reset, no luck. Did a long reset, got it back up, but now I don't know what to think. It's been a good router the six years I've had it, but it might be time to move on to something a bit more recent, with all what that entails.
Long reset = factory reset?

Maybe a corrupted NAND problem?

I believe I had something similar happen to me with 1.0.2.74.4SF In March 2020. I posted back in the 74.4SF thread then about the problem. I thought my NAND FLASH had gone bad but my 7800 has been chugging along since. Whew!

Around that time, some folks were reporting they thought their NAND FLASH had gone bad. I thought mine had gone bad, but Netgear refused to replace my 7800 under warranty. Of course, you might have a bad FLASH ROM but I would try simple things before throwing in the towel and getting a new router. The 7800 IMO is still a great router using Voxel firmware unless you absolutely need WiFi 6 which I don't

Here's what I did:
1) Long RESET (factory reset).
2) Configure your 7800 settings.
3) Under Advanced Setup, uncheck (disable) Enable Traffic Meter. IOW, don't use Traffic Meter. With Traffic Meter enabled and DST enabled, my 7800 failed Shields Up port tests.
I have never used Traffic Meter since then and I don't miss the info.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Corrupted nand can be identified if router is resetting to factory default settings after reboot.
You can verify that from the router admin UI, SSID name (if you are using a different one than default) and few more ways.

My guess is your issue seems like related to unable to get WAN IP. I have seen this issue in the last couple of months and it was related to my ISP (verizon). They are rolling out IPv6 in my area. They did not admit that service disruption is from their end but I was able to do some testing and figure out my router was not getting the WAN IP from ISP's ONT box.
It can be verified if your internet light (second one from left) on router is blinking Amber and your WAN IP is either "0.0.0.0" or "remain the previous old WAN IP that your ISP is not aware of" after reboot.
Try to renew the WAN IP either from UI or from ssh and reboot and check the WAN IP (note down the previous WAN IP before doing this)

Try full reset with Kamoj's method:
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!