What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 with OpenVPN client support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
I have several questions from the users of my custom build: is it possible to use R7800 with my custom build as an OpenVPN client. Is there any interest to this feature? As far as I understand, guys who asked me could not do that... I am not sure I’ll be able to modify WebGUI for simplification of OpenVPN client config setup (because of lack of source codes for net-cgi), but on the level of client config files (*.ovpn/ca/crt/key) copied to router using telnet or ssh…

Voxel.

I know that I had asked as I have used the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware for the R700 and enjoyed the OpenVPN client with that. Alas the router was not capable of supporting up to 80Mb speeds and overclocking to 1.2 or 1.4 wasn't that stable.
The reason that I asked for the R7800 is that the ARM based 1.7Ghz CPU should be more capable than the R7000 but I did appreciate the UI aspect of the R7000's Asus firmware.

I eventually settled on an ITX pfsense box for my VPN needs, but I do prefer a router.

I know that I had asked as I have used the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware for the R700 and enjoyed the OpenVPN client with that. Alas the router was not capable of supporting up to 80Mb speeds and overclocking to 1.2 or 1.4 wasn't that stable.
The reason that I asked for the R7800 is that the ARM based 1.7Ghz CPU should be more capable than the R7000 but I did appreciate the UI aspect of the R7000's Asus firmware.

I eventually settled on an ITX pfsense box for my VPN needs, but I do prefer a router.

I do no promise to make GUI for that. CGI is a "black box" in the stock firmware GPL: no source codes. Eric did a perfect job for ASUS with OpenVPN GUI, I know. But I have to use what I have. On the other hand, OpenVPN client is some kind of "set and forget" :). Not for daily use and editing by GUI.

Well, could you pass me (copy/paste) a part of your client config file as an example? i.e. *.ovpn. If it contains CRT/KEY and IP of server, just remove them. In P.M. To collect info re: what people are using.

Voxel.

You can see exactly what people are using and needing to enter from section 2A here, it even gives sample certs and keys and where to insert them.....

https://airvpn.org/topic/17444-how-to-set-up-pfsense-23-for-airvpn/

....the biggest issue, which you will know of course, is the impossibility of overcoming that these consumer routers can't handle AES instructions in hardware for decryption. On the faster connections the dual core ARM chip just seems to max out.

The biggest advantage, for me, was having the UI and relative simplicity of being able to establish a VPN client connection. Using pfsense has been very effective but a very difficult task.

You can see exactly what people are using and needing to enter from section 2A here, it even gives sample certs and keys and where to insert them.....

https://airvpn.org/topic/17444-how-to-set-up-pfsense-23-for-airvpn/

....the biggest issue, which you will know of course, is the impossibility of overcoming that these consumer routers can't handle AES instructions in hardware for decryption. On the faster connections the dual core ARM chip just seems to max out.

The biggest advantage, for me, was having the UI and relative simplicity of being able to establish a VPN client connection. Using pfsense has been very effective but a very difficult task.
Well... So long instruction...

I briefly looked through. In my understanding everything you need for router is just single *.ovpn file with CA/CRT/KEY etc embedded. I.e. exactly step 2A. Correct me if I am wrong. And instruction for installation w/o GUI would be trivial, something like:

copy your ovpn file to USB stick and insert it to router
enable telnet checkbox in your router using http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm address and enter by telnet to router's IP
copy ovpn file from usb stick to router flash memory
reboot router

I do not promise GUI. I do not think it is possible at least now. No source codes.

Voxel.

Well... So long instruction...

I briefly looked through. In my understanding everything you need for router is just single *.ovpn file with CA/CRT/KEY etc embedded. I.e. exactly step 2A. Correct me if I am wrong. And instruction for installation w/o GUI would be trivial, something like:

copy your ovpn file to USB stick and insert it to router
enable telnet checkbox in your router using http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm address and enter by telnet to router's IP
copy ovpn file from usb stick to router flash memory
reboot router

I do not promise GUI. I do not think it is possible at least now. No source codes.

Voxel.

I appreciate what you have noted.

Sorry for the delay in the reply I deliberated long and hard on buying the R7800 or a Linksys to supplement my R7000 router.

I have just taken delivery of my R7800, on sale in the UK.

I greatly appreciate the differences between it and the R7000, with a dual core 1.7Ghz CPU.

I have used a Kong build of DD-WRT because everything is there within the UI to enable, configure and control all aspects of the OpenVPN client that I need.

I do wish that more router manufacturers would consider adding a OpenVPN client to their firmware and whilst I appreciate that might cause issues with routers generally not supporting AES instructions for hardware decryption it would make things a little easier on their higher spec routers.

I appreciate what you have noted.

Sorry for the delay in the reply I deliberated long and hard on buying the R7800 or a Linksys to supplement my R7000 router.

I have just taken delivery of my R7800, on sale in the UK.

I greatly appreciate the differences between it and the R7000, with a dual core 1.7Ghz CPU.

I have used a Kong build of DD-WRT because everything is there within the UI to enable, configure and control all aspects of the OpenVPN client that I need.

I do wish that more router manufacturers would consider adding a OpenVPN client to their firmware and whilst I appreciate that might cause issues with routers generally not supporting AES instructions for hardware decryption it would make things a little easier on their higher spec routers.

I have plans to add it in the next version.

Voxel.

Best of luck :)

Thats sounds to be most promising and very exciting.

To be able to implement the OpenVPN client etc would be greatly appreciate by quite a few I imagine on this most capable router.

Last edited:
Best of luck :)

Thats sounds to be most promising and very exciting.

To be able to implement the OpenVPN client etc would be greatly appreciate by quite a few I imagine on this most capable router.

:)

You know: again I do not promise GUI for client. Still problems with pre-built CGI processing engine. But, let's it be some simplification for installation. Something like: put your OVPN config file to USB stick then insert this stick to router and voila: you have OpenVPN client.

Voxel.

After my short vacations ;).

I.e. middle of May. Voxel.

Voxel the R7800 QoS database has updated to April 2017 from June 2016 is this something thats going to be in your new FW version?

Voxel the R7800 QoS database has updated to April 2017 from June 2016 is this something thats going to be in your new FW version?

Sorry for silence from my side: vacations :).

Thank you for this info. Of course I'll update QoS DB in my new FW version to this one (April 2017).

Voxel.

It should be automatic, I'm on the April 28, 2017 database using Voxel's latest firmware.

Voxel,
I have flashed your firmware ver.R7800-V1.0.2.41SF to R7800, but am unable to connect to my VPN service provider, is this possible with your firmware?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!