What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000 v. 1.0.4.13HF/1.0.4.13HF-HW and 1.0.4.14HF/1.0.4.14HF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-4-5hf-1-0-4-5hf-hw.47893/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.13HF/1.0.4.13HF-HW.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.6HF/1.0.4.6HF-HW):

1. Integration of changes from the stock v. 1.0.4.12.
2. stubby package is added (with all needed dependences) to provide DNS-over-TLS support:
to enable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=1
nvram commit

and reboot your router; to disable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=0
nvram commit

and reboot your router.
3. Temporary fix for NG's bug (Attached Device List) is removerd (is working now).
4. dnsmasq: dnsmasq.conf options optimized.
5. dbus package is upgraded 1.12.8->1.12.10.
6. expat package is upgraded 2.2.5->2.2.6.
7. liblz4 package is upgraded 1.8.2->1.8.3.
8. ethtool package is upgaded 4.17->4.18.
9. curl package is upgraded 7.61.0->7.61.1.
10. at package is upgraded 3.1.20->3.1.23.
11. sqlite package is upgraded 3230100->3240000.
12. sysstat package is upgraded 11.0.4->11.6.4.
13. HW version: mbedtls package is upgraded 2.12.0->2.13.0.
14. plexmedia package: some re-order.
15. Host tools: several components are upgraded.
16. /etc/profile default profile is changed (no PATH for /opt/bin:/opr/sbin).
Entware users should set the PATH for Entware in /root/.profile file.

[Updated]

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.14HF/1.0.4.14HF-HW.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.13HF/1.0.4.13HF-HW):

1. Partial rollback: most of integrated binaries and kernel objects from the stock 1.0.4.12 are reverted back to CountryIE version.
(to provide stability of Wi-Fi connection)
2. ubus package is upgraded 2018-07-26->2018-10-06-221ce7e7.
3. libevent2 package is upgraded 2.0.22-1->2.1.8.
4. libevent-core and libevent2-pthreads packages are removed (not used).
5. unbound package is upgraded 1.8.0->1.8.1.
6. NG Downloader: fixing problems with http/ftp downloads.
7. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded to 2.31.1.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

So important notes:

1. stubby (DNS-Over-TLS) is already included into firmware. To enable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=1
nvram commit

and reboot your router; to disable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=0
nvram commit

and reboot your router. Currently it is configured to use Cloudflare servers (DoT). You may customize your config file:

/etc/stubby/stubby.yml

2. Info for Entware users. /etc/profile default profile is changed (no PATH for Entware is set by default, i.e. /opt/bin:/opr/sbin). Set the PATH for Entware in /root/.profile file, something like:

export PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

Difference 1.0.4.14HF-HW vs 1.0.4.14HF: “HW” version means hardware acceleration of OpenSSL.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Hi Voxel,

I noticed one of the fixes is for the Attached Device List, indicating that your fix was removed because Netgear has fixed it.

My Attached Device List has never worked properly unless I enabled QoS, and I really don't want to do that. It still doesn't work with V1.0.4.13HF-HW ... I only show 3 devices out of the 20+ I have in my home. I've gotten along for 2 years now without it, but I'm curious if there's any way to get it working.

My Attached Device List has never worked properly unless I enabled QoS, and I really don't want to do that. It still doesn't work with V1.0.4.13HF-HW ... I only show 3 devices out of the 20+ I have in my home. I've gotten along for 2 years now without it, but I'm curious if there's any way to get it working

It is difficult to say: I cannot reproduce such situation. If 3 devices are OK, so what's wrong with the rest. Questions:

1. Are specific symbols used for the names of your devices (not shown), e.g. not [A-Z], [a-z], [0-9]? I.e. not Latin/numeric or something like '!' or '?', '#' etc.
2. Did you try to rename these devices in GUI? E.g. enable QoS temporary and rename device which should be shown now. Then disable QoS again.
3. Could you post some device names not displayed with QoS disabled and displayed when enabled? Maybe in P.M.

There are some processing of device names in WebGUI and its enclosed part (binary from NG). I cannot say what concretely wrong w/o reproducing the problem. Maybe one form your device has some symbol "forbidden" by NG (bug) and rest names display is failed.

Voxel.

You can try to install the Kamoj add-on as it contains a fix for "sleeping/idle" devices.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...on-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.48965/
If it does not help, you can uninstall the add-on.

Hi Voxel,
I noticed one of the fixes is for the Attached Device List, indicating that your fix was removed because Netgear has fixed it.
My Attached Device List has never worked properly unless I enabled QoS, and I really don't want to do that. It still doesn't work with V1.0.4.13HF-HW ... I only show 3 devices out of the 20+ I have in my home. I've gotten along for 2 years now without it, but I'm curious if there's any way to get it working.

It is difficult to say: I cannot reproduce such situation. If 3 devices are OK, so what's wrong with the rest. Questions:

1. Are specific symbols used for the names of your devices (not shown), e.g. not [A-Z], [a-z], [0-9]? I.e. not Latin/numeric or something like '!' or '?', '#' etc.
2. Did you try to rename these devices in GUI? E.g. enable QoS temporary and rename device which should be shown now. Then disable QoS again.
3. Could you post some device names not displayed with QoS disabled and displayed when enabled? Maybe in P.M.

There are some processing of device names in WebGUI and its enclosed part (binary from NG). I cannot say what concretely wrong w/o reproducing the problem. Maybe one form your device has some symbol "forbidden" by NG (bug) and rest names display is failed.

Voxel.

Sorry, I meant to say 5 devices. I've attached screen shots of the "Connected Devices" display and the list of DHCP-assigned devices. The list excludes those that have permanent address reservations. Although many of the device names are obscured (ok, so I'm a little paranoid), they don't have any special characters in them; they all seem to be straight out of the USASCII character set.

Does the kamoj addon affect only the router itself, or does it improve re-connection for devices that sleep? I have a Lenovo tablet that will work great for days/weeks on the 5GHz band and then suddenly act as though internet access has disappeared even though it's showing connected. Switch to 2.4GHz and I never see any problems at all (other than lower bandwidth).

Attachments

• Attached-Devices-NETGEAR Router R9000.png
    Attached-Devices-NETGEAR Router R9000.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 867
  • DHCP-Addresses-Netgear-9000.png
    DHCP-Addresses-Netgear-9000.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 626
Although many of the device names are obscured (ok, so I'm a little paranoid),
You force me to do deductive research ;-)

Well. The most suspicious device in your list is DD-WRT-MR???. First, as far as I understand it is a router. So it is ON all the time (is always connected to your R9000). Second, if I am not mistaken (obscured names) it should be displayed next in the list of attached devices, alphabetic order:

A
AMAZON-???
ANDROID-???

B
BROTHER-MFC-???
BROTHER-MFC-???

C
No devices

D
Nothing is displayed. But should be DD-WRT-MR???

Or maybe second BROTHER-MFC-??? with spoiled symbols at the end. No special symbols like [, ]. |. (, ), or something not alphanumeric?

I'd suggest to:

Turn OFF you DD-WRT and BROTHER-MFC, then reboot your R9000 and check the list of attached devices: is it changed or not.

Voxel.

You force me to do deductive research ;-)

I assumed you'd like a challenge, given that fixing Netgear's broken firmware seems to be something you enjoy :D

Well. The most suspicious device in your list is DD-WRT-MR???. First, as far as I understand it is a router. So it is ON all the time (is always connected to your R9000). Second, if I am not mistaken (obscured names) it should be displayed next in the list of attached devices, alphabetic order:

A
AMAZON-???
ANDROID-???

B
BROTHER-MFC-???
BROTHER-MFC-???

C
No devices

D
Nothing is displayed. But should be DD-WRT-MR???

Or maybe second BROTHER-MFC-??? with spoiled symbols at the end. No special symbols like [, ]. |. (, ), or something not alphanumeric?

I'd suggest to:

Turn OFF you DD-WRT and BROTHER-MFC, then reboot your R9000 and check the list of attached devices: is it changed or not.

Voxel.

One of the BROTHER devices has parentheses in the name, but other than that, the only punctuation consists of dashes (-) and underscores (_). The BROTHER device is recently added, though, and the problem existed before it arrived.

My network is slightly more complex than most ... two separate buildings connected by coax, using MoCA 2.0 adapters to bridge them. The main router (the R9000) is in one, and an older Netgear 3700 is configured as an AP in the other running DD-WRT. I wouldn't expect to see any devices attached to the 3700 :)

Unfortunately I can't troubleshoot with your latest release. I had to revert to .6 because I was seeing periodic dropouts on my 5GHz network and it was preventing me from getting my work done. They seem to have stopped since I reverted.

I was getting 5Ghz drop-outs as well on .13. Reverting to .6 fixed it and no problems.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I assumed you'd like a challenge, given that fixing Netgear's broken firmware seems to be something you enjoy :D

Well, rather vice versa. I had to start with all of this only because of the bugs disallowing me to use the routers. I have not less complex network scheme with a lot of gadgets such as IP cameras, USB temperature measurement devices, servers etc. And I need these gadget be workable all the time w/o necessity in my interventions. Workable even if I am far away. So any new bug discovered in the latest stock is headache for me. Every time after released stock I hope that now the bugs I cannot fix because of lacking sources are fixed and I my new release will be ideal. And as a rule my hopes are just hopes.

I do not understand such an approach of NG. Waiting for three months for the next release when bugs are already reported by a lot of users and after such a long time issuing new release mixing bugs correction and new “features”. As a result some of known bugs are fixed but many new are introduced. It is permanent beta version. My main work assumes that when bugs are reported by customer, they should be fixed with highest priority and all the rest (development of the new features/functionality) should be frozen. Just bugs fixing release, but almost immediately.

It is rather irritable to see new bug reports in my release especially if I cannot even trace/fix them because of lacking sources.

The main router (the R9000) is in one, and an older Netgear 3700 is configured as an AP in the other running DD-WRT. I wouldn't expect to see any devices attached to the 3700 :)

Your AP: I had in mind that maybe your old 3700 is a reason of why not all devices are enlisted. So just temporary powering it off for a test. Maybe just disconnection (cable) to see if all the rest devices will be visible after such a test.

Unfortunately I can't troubleshoot with your latest release. I had to revert to .6 because I was seeing periodic dropouts on my 5GHz network and it was preventing me from getting my work done. They seem to have stopped since I reverted.

OK, let’s wait for statistic with stock 1.0.4.12. I had to perform partial roll back of integration of latest stock for R7800. Maybe the same for R9000.

Voxel.

I think Voxel will probably wait until he's sure of the broad impact of the 5GHz disconnection issue, which is seeming like a real thing. I'm betting this version doesn't get migrated, but the next one might.

Hello

any plans on migrating this version to the R8900 as well?

Thank you
Well. There were no requests for R8900 except single user who contacted me in P.M. As far as I know he was mainly interested in DD-WRT. So I was sure that there is no interest for R8900 fw...

OK. No problems to release it. Not so time consuming. The question is what version...

I think Voxel will probably wait until he's sure of the broad impact of the 5GHz disconnection issue, which is seeming like a real thing. I'm betting this version doesn't get migrated, but the next one might.

You know, I left my laptop connected to 13HF-HW during almost four days for a test (5GHz) before I published this release. Plus other clients mainly smartphones, not permanent connection (5GHz and 2.4GHz). According to statistic info there were no dropouts. So I am not sure. I did several resets after flashing 13HF-HW. It is still working with my R9000 and I do not face any problems. Just FYI.

Voxel.

Well. There were no requests for R8900 except single user who contacted me in P.M. As far as I know he was mainly interested in DD-WRT. So I was sure that there is no interest for R8900 fw...

OK. No problems to release it. Not so time consuming. The question is what version...

You know, I left my laptop connected to 13HF-HW during almost four days for a test (5GHz) before I published this release. Plus other clients mainly smartphones, not permanent connection (5GHz and 2.4GHz). According to statistic info there were no dropouts. So I am not sure. I did several resets after flashing 13HF-HW. It is still working with my R9000 and I do not face any problems. Just FYI.

Voxel.

If you're not doing something session-oriented, you may not notice it.

I work mostly via VPN or Citrix Access Gateway for my clients, and after I upgraded to .13 I saw random freezes and disconnects of my VPN/Receiver connections. I set up a continuous ping between my 5GHz-connected laptop and my router's LAN address, and every time I would see a freeze on my CAG or VPN connection, I'd see ping problems too. I reverted the R9000 to .6 and everything returned to normal.

I posted a link to a Netgear-hosted forum up-thread where other users were complaining of the same issue with NG's .12 release, and at least one other user has posted here with a problem using your .13 (and I fully realize that you didn't create the problem ... it came along with the drivers provided by NG).

Just my observations ... my experience with .6 is far better than .13.

I was able to get the last available for the R8900, on there.

I'm using the router with plex, i haven't checked but I i wouldn't believe Dd-wrt supports plex.

I got the router for a very nice price at Costco it was the last one ..

I'm not using vpn or much 5G yet, this is actually the first router i have that supports it My prior setup lasted almost 6 years. It was Dd-wrt and pfsense combination.

If it is possible for the latest version, according to the change log a lot seems to have changed since 4.3,it would certainly be appreciated.

Let me know
Thank you

If it is possible for the latest version, according to the change log a lot seems to have changed since 4.3,it would certainly be appreciated.
OK, no problems.

You can download 13HF-HW for R8900 right now (HW is recommended). 13HF (software acceleration) is "under compilation". Will be published tomorrow.

Voxel.

ust my observations ... my experience with .6 is far better than .13.

OK, thanks for your testing. Thinking over. 4.5 and 4.6 are a bit not usual version. Are built using some hidden beta from NG passed me by one guy from official NG forum.

Voxel.

.13 5Ghz drop-outs like crazy.....turning off QOS and Smart Roaming seem to have fixed it.....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!