What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000 v. 1.0.4.15HF/1.0.4.15HF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...4-13hf-hw-and-1-0-4-14hf-1-0-4-14hf-hw.49096/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.15HF/1.0.4.15HF-HW.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.14HF/1.0.4.14HF-HW):

1. OpenSSL package is upgraded 1.0.2p->1.0.2q.
2. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 (2.0.19) is included into firmware:
to enable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=1
nvram commit
and reboot your router;
to disable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=0
nvram commit
and reboot your router.​
3. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.8.1->1.8.2.
4. wget package is upgraded 1.19.5->1.20.
5. util-linux package is upgraded 2.32.1->2.33.
6. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.2->1.9.4.
7. ethtool package is upgaded 4.18->4.19.
8. libjpeg package is upgraded 9a->9c.
9. curl package is upgraded 7.61.1->7.62.0.
10. libgcrypt package is upgraded 1.8.3->1.8.4.
11. libubox package is upgraded 2018-07-25->2018-11-16.
12. sqlite package is upgraded 3240000->3250300.
13. HW version: cryptodev-linux package is upgraded 1.9.git-2017-10-04->1.9.git-2018-11-02.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

1. stubby (DNS-Over-TLS) is already included into firmware. To enable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=1
nvram commit
and reboot your router; to disable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=0
nvram commit
and reboot your router. Currently it is configured to use Cloudflare servers (DoT). You may customize your config file:

/etc/stubby/stubby.yml

2. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is already included into firmware. To enable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=1
nvram commit
and reboot your router;
to disable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=0
nvram commit
and reboot your router. Currently is is configured to is Cloudflare, ipredator, scaleway-fr, dnscrypt.eu-nl, dnscrypt.eu-dk. You may customize your config file /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml to add/remove your selected servers.

3. If both (stubby and DNSCrypt Proxy v.2) are enabled, stubby has highest priority (it will shutdown all dnscrypt (v1 and v2)). DNSCrypt Proxy v1 if still used has lowest priority.

Difference 1.0.4.14HF-HW vs 1.0.4.14HF: “HW” version means hardware acceleration of OpenSSL.

Voxel.

Any idea what may be causing various idiosyncrasies in the attached devices display?

It seems that the various devices don't always match up with the same information all the time. IPs remain correct but any QoS assignments are not persistent as well as custom names. Almost as if indexes are not in sync.

This has been a problem since early on with Netgear Wasn't sure if it wasn't an easy fix or in depth.

Forget Genie network map. It really is screwy. I only use Native GUI in browser

R9000 1.0.4.15

Hi Voxel,

Could we expect an update about your firmware based on 1.0.4.26 NG firmware?

Thanks a lot.
You know, R9000 owners are very passive in this forum. When latest stock FW for R7800 was released I could read a feedback re: issues or good release. Of course I'd like to have latest stock changes integrated to my version. But I had to omit already 3 or for releases for R9000 because of instability.

What can I find regarding this last release 1.0.4.26. Only few comments, e.g.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...-firmware-update-Version-1-0-4-26/m-p/1692783

and most of comments are negative. So if I include it as-is...

Waiting. I do not want to break my version.

Voxel.

I'm working with your last version on my R9000 and indeed this one is really stable and also working with two X6S & X4 mesh mode.
I have to confess that I'm a little eager to play with the next version. But this doesn't change the fact that you provide really a great piece of fw!
Thanks a lot!

I’ve been using your firmware and Kong’s DDWRT for a couple years now. I have been just switching back and forth, hoping to find a faster, more reliable and more satisfying internet experience. I will make the switch again and try out your latest firmware and post here or something.

I never got to thank you for your R9000 firmware’s but thank you. You do brilliant work and i will buy you a beer if you got Bank of America or a phone number I can send a few bucks to (PayPal account in dispute over false transactions so can’t use that for the time being). Feel free to PM me your phone number assuming you live in the states or something so I can send you a thank you tip for the numerous firmwares I’ve gotten from you. Cheers.

You know, R9000 owners are very passive in this forum. When latest stock FW for R7800 was released I could read a feedback re: issues or good release. Of course I'd like to have latest stock changes integrated to my version. But I had to omit already 3 or for releases for R9000 because of instability.

What can I find regarding this last release 1.0.4.26. Only few comments, e.g.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...-firmware-update-Version-1-0-4-26/m-p/1692783

and most of comments are negative. So if I include it as-is...

Waiting. I do not want to break my version.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

I'm running the last stock FW for 1 week without issue... Any chance & perhaps to get an update of your FW with this one?

Cheers.

I never got to thank you for your R9000 firmware’s but thank you. You do brilliant work and i will buy you a beer if you got Bank of America or a phone number I can send a few bucks to (PayPal account in dispute over false transactions so can’t use that for the time being). Feel free to PM me your phone number assuming you live in the states or something so I can send you a thank you tip for the numerous firmwares I’ve gotten from you. Cheers.
Thank you for your intentions. I am not from the states. But I appreciated.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Hi Voxel,

I'm running the last stock FW for 1 week without issue... Any chance & perhaps to get an update of your FW with this one?

Cheers.
Working on this. BTW check attached device list. People alarms an issue.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!