What's new

Custom Merlin module for filebeat/elasticsearch/kibana

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dang

New Around Here
Long-time lurker/firmware user. first-time poster...

As part of a small learning project (http2 server in go), I wanted to watch incoming traffic to the webserver. This lead me down a few rabbit holes and I ended visualizing the incoming IP traffic in Kibana. To make the process easier to manage (and easily reproducible) I created a filebeat module (v5.x) to analyze the router's system log.

Custom Merlin Syslog Module*

Notes
  • I currently use syslog forwarding to pass all router logs to a server inside my network. I then stage the router.log file onto a laptop for analysis in a docker hosted elasticsearch/kibana environment.
  • I've tested this on an RT-N66U with a few system log entries. I'm sure there are some issues. Please file any anomalies and/or feature requests on the project issue tracker.
*You will need basic experience with (EK) elasticsearch/kibana concepts to use this module. Time permitting, I'll build out the wiki with an intro to EK and a bootstrap using docker on mac OS.

Example: Firewall DROP by Geo-Location
Firewall.DROP.Geo.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!