What's new

Custom Routing config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eagle470

Occasional Visitor
Alright, for various reasons I'm not going to get into, I'm trying to setup a two router config.

Ideally I would like it to look like this:

Internet<-------------ROUTER_A--------------------->|
| ROUTER_B
Internet<----------------------------------------------------|

Router_A's schema is PPOE to an internal network of 10.9.1.x with a router address of 10.9.1.1

Router_B's schema is a WAN(g0/0) address of 10.9.1.2 with an internal schema of 10.10.1.X and a router IP of 10.10.1.1

Router_A is an Asus AC1300 running ASUSwrt-merlin 380_65_2

Router_B is an Asus RT56R/U running ASUSwrt-merlin 380_65_2

No matter what static route I set, I cannot get them to talk....

Alright, for various reasons I'm not going to get into, I'm trying to setup a two router config.

Ideally I would like it to look like this:

Internet<-------------ROUTER_A--------------------->|
| ROUTER_B
Internet<----------------------------------------------------|

Router_A's schema is PPOE to an internal network of 10.9.1.x with a router address of 10.9.1.1

Router_B's schema is a WAN(g0/0) address of 10.9.1.2 with an internal schema of 10.10.1.X and a router IP of 10.10.1.1

Router_A is an Asus AC1300 running ASUSwrt-merlin 380_65_2

Router_B is an Asus RT56R/U running ASUSwrt-merlin 380_65_2

No matter what static route I set, I cannot get them to talk....

For security I assume you have disabled administration from the WAN on both routers. This is why a device connected to Router A can't administer Router B. Devices on the LAN behind router B can administer Router A since they are connected to a LAN port on router A.

If you need to share resources on the LAN behind router B from devices connected to LAN A perhaps someone can come up with the routing you need to make this possible.

You need to set up a static route (LAN > Route) on Router_A that says network 10.10.1.0/255.255.255.0 is reachable via gateway device 10.9.1.2

There is no need to do anything on Router_B.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!