What's new

Cut through forwarding (CTF). What's the catch enabling it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eikido

Occasional Visitor
As i understand it, CTF is some kind of an accelerator to increase the NAT speed.
My question is, an accelerator doesn't come without a catch :) You simply can't boost the speed without a catch.
What's the catch?

I do know QoS and port forwarding might not work well, but what if they did work?

I'm asking because i have a 1 GB line up and down-stream and would benefit a lot enabling it.

As i understand it, CTF is some kind of an accelerator to increase the NAT speed.
My question is, an accelerator doesn't come without a catch :) You simply can't boost the speed without a catch.
What's the catch?

I do know QoS and port forwarding might not work well, but what if they did work?

I'm asking because i have a 1 GB line up and down-stream and would benefit a lot enabling it.

Cut Through Forwarding is a new feature for Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6300, EA6400 and EA6700) that increases the router’s performance through bypassing protocols that add extra overhead to router processing (such as packet level inspections, sorting, filtering, and queuing).

Source:
https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/quot-Cut-through-forwarding-quot/td-p/789084

The bypassing has several issues and might pose a security risk.

its not a new feature, its been around for a very long time. All it does is basically just reads only the important bits of the packet and then sends it to where it needs to go. This was first applied to switching (store and forward, Cut through forwarding) and now it is applied in routing as well. In the case of switches CTF switches have lower latency and the same throughput regardless of the size of the packet but store and forward allows for more features and error detection. In the case of routers, it simply uses less CPU to process as little as possible of the packet and sending it. Everyone uses it as some sort of "acceleration" feature. Using it just means you cant use other features like QoS, firewalls and so on as the packets bypass all that.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!