What's new

CakeQOS cuts download speed in half

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbehrmusic

Occasional Visitor
Before I start, here's my specs/setup.
Router: AC86U
ISP: Comcast
Speeds: 400 down / 10 up
Firmware: Merlin 386.2_beta3

I originally installed FlexQoS, which worked great for my download, but I got massive bufferbloat on the upload. After installing CakeQoS, I'm getting the reverse scenario. Extreme latency/bufferbloat on the download, but almost ZERO bufferbloat on the upload.

The main issue I was having is ping spikes and packet loss in games. So I figured installing some sort of QoS would help. When I installed CakeQoS, it prompted, asking for my download speeds. The documentation said to give it around 90-95% of your speed, so I put 390 / 9. But when I run a speed test, my speeds are cut in half, all the way down to 200 (rather than 390). When using FlexQoS, I get 380 or so, but again, major bufferbloat (even when using the fq_codel).

Update: After uninstalling the normal CakeQoS, and installing the Alpha build( found HERE ), my bufferbloat on the download has gotten a little better. But maybe this is due to the instability of the site (dslreports). I am still confused as to why my download speed is cut in half when using CakeQoS. Is there a fix for that?

Update#2: It seems it may have been the instability of DSLReports. The download is still bad.

Last edited:
The loss of maximum throughput due to disabling NAT acceleration is documented in the first post of the 386.2 beta thread. I have generally settled on 210 down when using Cake on my 400 Mb Comcast connection on an AC86U. And therefore, I don’t run Cake full-time. With FlexQoS, I set my download to 350 and get decent results on the has-been dslreport.com site.

The loss of maximum throughput due to disabling NAT acceleration is documented in the first post of the 386.2 beta thread. I have generally settled on 210 down when using Cake on my 400 Mb Comcast connection on an AC86U. And therefore, I don’t run Cake full-time. With FlexQoS, I set my download to 350 and get decent results on the has-been dslreport.com site.
Sorry for my lack of thoroughness. Can't believe I missed that, but I appreciate your insight. For FlexQoS, what do you set your upload to? Because when I use FlexQoS, I get really bad bufferbloat/latency on the upload. Thanks again for the help.

400 down and *10* up? Wow, that is heavily asymmetric! I am not sure how much bandwidth is needed for acks, but for sure I would suggest trying setting "Filter Duplicate TCP ACKs" to Yes on Upload (not needed for download). That's a setting for the Cake alpha, which you mentioned you have.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but 90-95% of 400 is 360-380 (not 390). I am not sure how much it matters, but you could try say 350 just to make sure you've got headroom. I don't think that's your problem, but always better to start low and then increase slowly.

I assume you've set WAN packet overhead appropriately. For cable/docsis it should be set to 18 / 64 / Normal.

dslreports has some challenges, I often see spikes in my download/upload that make the score worse even though they appear to be isolated problems. You could also try https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat, or even just comcast speed test (for raw bandwidth).

I have also seen people try lower rtt (ping) settings. You could try "regional" in the custom upload and download settings (default rtt of 30ms instead of 100ms). See https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html for more details on the settings.

Good luck!

Sorry for my lack of thoroughness. Can't believe I missed that, but I appreciate your insight. For FlexQoS, what do you set your upload to? Because when I use FlexQoS, I get really bad bufferbloat/latency on the upload. Thanks again for the help.
I set my upload to 24 out of 25.

Good luck!
thanks for the info! and I set the 90% based on my lowest speedtest result. I pay for 400/10, but when I run a speedtest, I get 450+ and 11-15+. I tried running the waveform test, and it said I get an A, although it put a caution on low latency gaming, saying I may experience issues due to bufferbloat (which is true, because I do experience ping spikes/lag sometimes in games).

How do you get 25 up on comcast, with 400 down? The plans here are 400/10, then something like 600/25, 950/50.
Not sure, my package is X1 Preferred Plus Triple Play with Extreme Internet.

edit: they say 20, but I get close to 25 so I thought it was 25.

1617224119785.png

Last edited: