1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

D-Link AC2600 (dir-882) used as an access point

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by El Che, Nov 20, 2018.

1. El Che

El Che New Around Here

Hi all,
    I've done a research with the ranker to find the router that maximize the throughput and considering
    my budget (here in europe it is around 90€) I found the router in the subject
    https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...-dir-882-ac2600-mu-mimo-wi-fi-router-reviewed
    Consulting the d-link website I didn't found official information about the possibility to configure this router as an access point (I mean as a wired device that allow wireless device to connect to my LAN)
    There is someone that can give me an advice possibly verified?

2. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

Most wireless routers can be turned into access point by disabling the DHCP server feature.

3. El Che

El Che New Around Here

Thanks for your reply!
    It was also on my knowledge that disabling DHCP (and maybe also Upnp and other services except, obviously, the wifi) is the way to configure ANY router in Access point mode but I have the suspect that D-Link don't act very well on this...
    I found this http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0
    and they say:
    "Using a router turned in to a Bridge or Relay is not sanctioned nor supported by D-Link for certain model router. D-Link does not support or develop any firmware modifications for there routers that have a Bridge or Relay feature. This process described here is solely of end user experiences and observations. As such, router owners who choose to use this procedure do at there own risk. "

4. inkytires

inkytires Occasional Visitor

Well, the router firmware allows you to disable DHCP and assign a fixed IP, so I don't understand why he says it "isn't supported". Also, he doesn't seem to know how to spell 'their'.

5. inkytires

inkytires Occasional Visitor

Internet Man likes this.