What's new

D-link DIR-825, Vista and 802.11g

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

garton

New Around Here
I've got a D-link DIR-825 that works very well together with a Windows XP box with a 802.11n NIC, but not well at all with a Vista box with 802.11g. The vista box goes like this:

1. Connects
2. Works for 2-3 minutes
3. Disconnects for no reason (signal strength 75 - 80%)
4. Re-connects

... this cycles over and over. The encryption is WPA2-PSK. But the same problem occurs when using the "guest" zone which has no encryption at all.

Any ideas what may be causing this and how I may fix it?

This might sound too simplistic, but is the router set up to mixed G and N or N only?

That setting is on "Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b"

If 802.11g wasn't enabled, the laptop with 802.11g wouldn't be able to connect at all, right?

If 802.11g wasn't enabled, the laptop with 802.11g wouldn't be able to connect at all, right?
Correct.

Try looking for updated drivers for the wireless card in the Vista machine.

Correct.

Try looking for updated drivers for the wireless card in the Vista machine.

That did the trick.

I feel really stupid right now. Obviously I should have tried that. But I distinctly recall trying the vista auto update driver function before posting and it told me that the latest driver was installed. When I tried now, it found a new one.

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!