What's new

D-Link DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router: Second Time's the Charm?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Enki42

Occasional Visitor
Thanks for the review, must have taken a long time to do all that. I do have a few small issues though:

1) I thought you said the second hw revision of the 855 has the AR9100 wireless chipset. Is that not right? This might mean the 2nd hw revision also has the newer chipset for the switch too since everything using one part would be cheaper for them.

2) Assuming point #1 is true shouldn't the 855 then have at the minimum the same performance as the 825. (meaning we can sort of see how much better the 2nd hw revision helped the router) The extra memory and the extra antenna should only help the 855 do better.

3) From the perspective of someone who wants a router with good range and chance you could test the router with a better omnidirectional antenna connected? For example I'm trying to decide between this and the 610 from linksys. The linksys has no replaceable antennas so obviously if I get that then I can't further improve the range but if I get this I can easily buy a better antenna to plug in and get a better range.

4) Any chance you could test with a 3rd party wireless card that stays the same with all the routers? Say the intel card that is part of santa rosa or a newer intel varient? The intel wireless card should have no real preference as to which router it works better with, its the card that comes with most laptops so is more likely to be used by most end users, generally seems like the built in laptop antenna it connects to are better then any pc card, ... The other major advantage is it allows compairing the routers more directly since you aren't chnaging the client side too.

5) Checking how perf varies with other networks in the area. This may not really be so useful to do for every router but has come up as a major factor in my apt situation. There are 10+ 802.11 networks visable all in the 2.4GHz range some are even 802.11b and none are 802.11n or 5 GHzso even though all reviews say 5GHz is worse I have a feeling in my case it will perform much better seeing that it has a clean spectrum vs 2.4

I know those ideas arn't easy to do since it adds much more testing.
Thanks

Picked up a DIR-825 today from Best Buy for $149. Will test this weekend and hopefully it will work in my application. Maybe with firmware maturity some of the issues/limitations Tim found will be resolved.

Picked up a DIR-825 today from Best Buy for $149. Will test this weekend and hopefully it will work in my application. Maybe with firmware maturity some of the issues/limitations Tim found will be resolved.
Don't hold your breath. Perhaps a different client will improve performance a bit. But as you can see from the other products that I compared, the performance really isn't that unusual.

Tim

I'm surprised Dlink chose to use the XSPAN 9001 (or 9100 series) for the DIR-825. Atheros began sampling the 9002 (or 9200) series back in July (also dual band concurrent). The 9002 is claimed to be 3rd generation (as compared to 2nd gen for the 9100 series) and is more integrated and lower cost. Atheros even included a Gigabit NIC.

The 9200 is 2 x 2 MIMO but Atheros claims higher performance when compared to the 9100. That would work well with Dlink's choice for 2 x antennas.

I called Atheros today and they advise that the 9200 series is shipping in quantity.

Maybe we'll soon see a hardware Rev B of the 825 using this newer chipset....

Don't hold your breath. Perhaps a different client will improve performance a bit. But as you can see from the other products that I compared, the performance really isn't that unusual.

The routing performance seems like a problem they can solve. Hopefully!

I have a DIR-655 already, which I use for both computing and media streaming. A couple of my PC's and all the media streaming devices (TiVo, AppleTV, Roku box, etc.) are connected wirelessly to the 655 through SMC 802.11n wireless bridges (at 2.4GHz). I am interested in moving the streaming media off to 5GHz and leave the general purpose computing stuff on 2.4GHz. However, one of the locations where streaming media boxes live is quite far away from where the router has to go (up 2 floors with several sheetrock walls in between). I get about 50% signal strength up there with the 655 on 2.4GHz. THe other streaming location is close, and signal strength there is typically close to 100%.

I'm trying to figure out whether to get an 825 or 855 to replace the 655, and whether to get a 1522 or a 1555 to replace the SMC boxes.

Any thoughts? I worry a lot about the newer boxes having fewer (or no) external antennas as well. Any comments on that (expecially as it relates to my situation)?

Running ethernet cable is not a viable option.

Thanks much for any insights.

Bob

When you consider that we're starting to get within sight of the two year anniversary of the announcement of the DIR-855, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with the progress of dual-band 802.11n hardware and firmwares over that period. It's downright disheartening.

802.11n experimental~ Firmware testing is beta well at DLINK! Oh just maybe one day the engineers at DLINK and the rest of the gang at the other companies will get it right? 802.11g is where most users are at.

I'm trying to figure out whether to get an 825 or 855 to replace the 655, and whether to get a 1522 or a 1555 to replace the SMC boxes.

Any thoughts? I worry a lot about the newer boxes having fewer (or no) external antennas as well. Any comments on that (expecially as it relates to my situation)?

I can't predict how 5GHz will do, since every environment is different. I would also consider the Netgear WNHDE111. Even though it didn't have the best distance performance, it did pretty well in this test.

I wouldn't worry much about internal vs. external antennas unless you are going to try to attach higher gain dual-band antennas.

What needs to be fixed? How many buyers have >100 Mbps Internet connections?

Tim, you know that 10Mbps is more for 6 or lower and 100Mbps is more like 66 or lower.
What I am saying if you have 6Mbps connection you should set the WAN to 10Mbps.
If you have 20Mbps you should set the WAN to 100Mbps.
Until most of us here get 100-150Mbps download/uploads then that would be the time to use WAN set to 1000Mbps.

The test was done with the 1.0 firmware right? The new firmware 1.01 says the it enhances HT/40 performance so i it might make an impact it signal and performance

The test was done with the 1.0 firmware right? The new firmware 1.01 says the it enhances HT/40 performance so i it might make an impact it signal and performance

Where do you see release notes saying that? All I see is "Added SharePort" to the 1.01 build from 9/22/2008

btw what is HT/40?

Any comments on my initial post? Thanks

Tim

I'm surprised Dlink chose to use the XSPAN 9001 (or 9100 series) for the DIR-825. Atheros began sampling the 9002 (or 9200) series back in July (also dual band concurrent). The 9002 is claimed to be 3rd generation (as compared to 2nd gen for the 9100 series) and is more integrated and lower cost. Atheros even included a Gigabit NIC.

Maybe we'll soon see a hardware Rev B of the 825 using this newer chipset....

At the same time Atheros anounced their new chipset Broadcom anounced a new one too but I don't see any devices using either. History also tells us it takes much longer for new chipsets to appear in products based on what I've seen in the past :(

I do wish they wouldn't wait so long.

BTW I think you're confusing internal routing speed with port speed.

Nothing other than what I wrote in the review

Thanks for the explination, should have figured that one out...

So no chance to test with "normal" higher gain omnidirectional antenna like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833980001
(by normal I mean not directional, easy to install, no DIY or hacking an antenna onto the router, relativly cheap (i.e. aimed at home users not corporations)

If the 825 with two of these (one per antenna port to support MIMO) greatly improves wireless speed/range then it would be worth knowing verses it being some other limiting factor. Going by the pics of the router with its antenna it looks like the antenna is a 3dB antenna so the replacement antenna I mention about should give a nice 2dB increase which I'm guessing will help by a nice amount.

And no chance to test against a standard wireless client against all wireless routers so we know the implementation of the client is not the reason for the differences measured?

Last edited:
As stated in the review, testing was done with 1.01 router firmware and Win XP SP2 1.02.01.0000 driver and D-Link V2.1 client in the DWA-160 B1 card.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online