What's new

D-link DIR-860l or ASUS rt-n66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueGoldAce

Occasional Visitor
I currently have an ASUS rt-n56u. It has been a great router, but its wireless range isn't enough for my needs. I owe a house with a basement, and due to the (non-negotiable due to comcast) position of my router, my wireless signal and performance is poor in the basement and parts of the house.

Today I picked up a white Asus rt-n66u on amazon for 110 (plus a $10 mail in rebate). I have enjoyed my previous asus router and thought this would be a great replacement.

I realize that it is a bit dated in terms of the new wifi standard, but I am looking to stick to the $100 range.

I noticed the d-link dir-860l is about 114 on amazon, and am second guessing my purchase. None of my devices support the new ac standard yet, but I am sure I will have devices that due in the future. Most important to me is range and performance. I do a lot of hd streaming and etc.

Which router would be a better bang for my buck?

I really appreciate the responses.

-Blue

I had good signal with the N 66 even in the basement , better than the Negear 6250 I tried and better than theAC 66 I'm using now (bricked the n 66 , Asus replaced it ) . I should not have given the N 66 to my sister .
Basements are trouble for all routers .

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I picked up a linksys ea6700 brand new for $100 on eBay today. Hopefully It is as good as it has been reviewed. If not, the n66 is coming in the mail as well.

I have the RT-N66u.
It is a great router all around.
Put Merlins firmware on it & its got better enabled features!

Unless you have AC devices now or in the next 6-12 months I suggest you don't worry about supporting it now.
In that time frame I am sure at least 1 more router will come out with the latest greatest.

If you notice, the n66u hasn't really dropped in price since its release; cause it is a great router.

Good luck with whichever one you decide to go with.

The dir-860l is a great router and has many options though it is more of an industrialized router for business's, but you can flash it with dd-wrt and it becomes a phenomenal router

I also moved up from an Asus RT-N56U to a RT-N66U, and it was a really good move. I can't recommend D-Link routers due to my spotty experience with them and what I've read, but the RT-N66U was a great router for me. It provides full house coverage for wireless-n, was very stable and reliable once the early firmware problems were fixed. A really reliable and great performing wireless router. And if you're not thinking about wireless-ac at the moment, it is a great product that I can really recommend.

The RT-N56U could just barely reach my living room on 5GHz., the band that I now use the most. When I got the RT-N66U, it had, and continues to have, strong 5GHz. wireless coverage in my living room. That's the farthest room from my router in my house *smile*.

It has gone down some in price over the last couple of years. I paid $179 (as I recall) over 2 years ago, and I see it running about $129 now. Not a big drop, but as the other poster said, it is a great product so it hasn't dropped as much as some.

You can look at the reviews here on this site, #1 for the N900 class!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!