What's new

D-Link DIR-879 AC1900 EXO Wi-Fi Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Or maybe there is something special about Realtek (sounds like an audio chip mfgr) vs. others, cause i don't see any other realtek out there.

No? Realtek is extremely well known (but apparently not by you) for providing network chips for motherboards, separate NIC cards, and wifi solutions, switches, etc. Most mobo's you can buy come with a Realtek network chip and often with a Realtek audio chip. Same thing for NIC cards and most SOHO unmanaged switches. They mostly use Realtek chips

Realtek as been around for a long while. They do some good stuff. Seen a lot of there HW in consumer PCs and routers.

Might do a bit more research on them.

Yeah its weird, i was think maybe SNB started some new measurement criteria, so maybe like it applies to newly tested stuff but not previously tested, like you'd need to retest to get the new measurements, not sure.

Or maybe there is something special about Realtek (sounds like an audio chip mfgr) vs. others, cause i don't see any other realtek out there.

Last edited:
All products shown with the same test revision (current one is 9) are tested with the same processes.

realtek has both good and bad things with their stuff just like every brand. The good thing about realtek hardware is that it is minimal, this is what makes it cheaper for board makers as it requires a minimal footprint, minimal components making it cheaper on the hardware side.

Driver wise they dont tend to do well and put more of the load on the CPU instead. So if the firmware isnt great than you get problems with the chipset. My old tp link wifi router has realtek wifi. wifi worked great with stock firmware but with openWRT installed the wifi will just freeze up every fortnight.

I have a TP-Link and Edimax wireless adapter and when I plug them in my laptop they are recognized as Realtek.

Probably realtek chip set based then. Many Mfrs use realtek chip sets.

wireless adapters have 2 chips, the USB interface, and the wifi chip itself. for example the asus AC usb wifi adapter has a realtek usb3 interface chip.

wireless adapters have 2 chips, the USB interface, and the wifi chip itself. for example the asus AC usb wifi adapter has a realtek usb3 interface chip.

On the contrary...

Some of the newer 801.11ac/802.11n adapters are single chip these days... esp. the tiny ones...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32545-ac580-usb-wireless-adapter-roundup

The Mediatek/Ralink and Realtek solutions here.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32271-ac1200-usb-wireless-adapter-roundup

Broadcom and Realtek - the realtek solution includes the USB3 phy, MAC, Baseband, and RF all in one chip there are well...

On the contrary...

Some of the newer 801.11ac/802.11n adapters are single chip these days... esp. the tiny ones...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32545-ac580-usb-wireless-adapter-roundup

The Mediatek/Ralink and Realtek solutions here.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32271-ac1200-usb-wireless-adapter-roundup

Broadcom and Realtek - the realtek solution includes the USB3 phy, MAC, Baseband, and RF all in one chip there are well...
Realtek always comes up with minimalist hardware solutions. However im not sure how well dlink usb wifi stands out as my friend had one during the wireless N era and it was horrible. So this time im not sure if the hardware is ok or if its drivers that count or if its all the same across brands.

I also found out that you need to have a good USB 3.0 support and power and disable any PC power management features on the PC for the adapter and USB hub. I guess the 192 is a power hog. o_O

It would not connect to my USB 2.0 Mac Book Pro so I presume it only works on USB 3.0. ;)

I do enjoy this adapter though. :cool:

i can tell you the dwa-192 is a great adapter , just gotta make sure its the only wireless drivers you have installed or it makes things crash

Gianni, being the 'best' 15-20 years ago is like saying they were the 'best' dinosaurs. Even if they're still around.

Many reasons why they are not as good, today. Firmware, updated code (or lack thereof), gui and quality and quantity of updates (at least for security) to the firmware is high on that list.

Releasing models that don't push the envelope doesn't help either. No matter how inexpensive they may be.

Just had a whole night trying the salvage from an official firmware update on the DIR-879... after flashing to 1.04 (came with 1.03 out of the box), was left with an ever-loading landing page; even flashing originals using the emergency upload feature did not solve the problem. Should not have yielded to the salesman's pitch that it had the same CPU as the ASUS AC68U blah blah blah for 70% of the price blah blah blah...

I manage a number of networks and have had little problem with ASUS (whose interface does not need dd-wrt etc as they are so good already by themselves), TP-Link (where many more basic models could be enhanced with dd-wrt), Linksys (where all good except a recent letdown being the EA6900 - nightmare to be avoided by all), and now the first foray into D-Link (except some cheap models as APs) immediately gets into trouble...

I can feel a lot of the negative comments expressed here, including poor interface (lack of advanced features), lack of firmware support, and indeed the SNB review pointed out the lack of USB and other hardware features.... will be returning the new unit to the shop today and ask for my Archer C7 or AC68U!

If anyone here has good tips solving my problem above, one would be doing D-Link a massive favour in publicity!

Never had any problems with updating FW. One recommendation is to use IE11 or FF browser and disable any and all PC security and plug ins temporarily while doing any manual FW updates. Chrome has been known to cause bad FW update processes and can lead to bricked routers. I never use or will use Chrome for doing any FW updates on any router, D-Link or Not.
I always use this method if I need to use recovery mode for D-Link routers:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=44909.msg163599#msg163599

For normal FW updates, I use this method always and never fails me:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=42457.0
Even works for other Mfr routers too.

Users need to review and research router features and options. All specs an details are listed on each Mfrs web site. If you had done this you would have found that USB was not on this model router. The new UI for D-Link seems to be tailored to the average home user who just want to set up a router with less user configuration and just have it work. The new UI probably doesn't meat the needs of the more advanced users. Again, users should review and research before buying. They are what they are.

Thank you for the reply, above grumbling was after doing 1) IE + disabling antivirus/windows defenders; 2) following recovery mode link (already tried flashing 1.04 again and 1.03 to go back but same loading landing page issue persists).

Indeed we need to review what's there, but given how modems half the price have the facilities (eg USB) and have more advanced interface for control, it is a big oversight not to open at least the door to advanced features to users who have need of them.

Wondering if there are any telnet based ways to flash and whether it will do better than the recovery mode for my current situation.

Again, appreciate the fast response!

You might load shipping FW, first version FW and see. Be sure to clear all browser cache before and after sending the FW file.
Try FF browser maybe. Possible this units nvram is now corrupt. :(

Well this is a router, not a modem. D-Link makes many various model routers with various features. It's up to perspective customers to look and research whats available and to pick the best model the fits there needs. Why D-Link, just like all the other router Mfrs have a fleet of various routers, all with different features, some less than others. This model router may have been designed and marketed for users who don't need a USB port or USB share on there router. Maybe they already have storage solutions and just need a router. o_O

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!