What's new

data usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
i recently discovered that i was using a huge amount of wifi data after switching to directv now on my roku premiere. one high usage day was 119gb and thats just 720p tv and several hours of pandora audio! i did not have a bandwidth limit set in my asus 56u but do now.

what i dont understand is why it would peak at 50 mb/s before (based on the asus app) but now works fine with only 4 set as a download limit. i determined that i could avg 33gb/day without exceeding my monthly cap and additional data charges. i am now at 20gb without extensive tweaking, a heavy use day might be 30 im guessing. no allowance for web surfing/email and occasional ipad youtube stuff.

also, what is the significance of upload bandwidth in this application? if i set it to 0 directv now wont work, if i set it to only .1 it works fine. guess i dont understand the give and take of up/download. i get it when used to upload data in email or files but not on directv, could it just be collecting data about my usage?

thanks for any input.

DTVNow can use quite a bit of bandwidth (as you've observed) - if I recall, it's Zero-rated for ATT broadband customers, so depending on your ISP...

One of the hazards of going over the top...

(I use DTV Now on my iPad over LTE - it's on ATT Wireless, so it does not count against my ATT Wireless monthly cap)