1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Daylight saving time

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by przemekwawa, Mar 31, 2014.

1. przemekwawa

przemekwawa Occasional Visitor

There is an problem with update date and time when I have Time Zone set to Vilnius, Warsaw (GMT+1). We are using Daylight saving time in Poland and on Sunday time was changed. Router did not automatically updated that using ntp (probably because of too big difference).
    I saw that in some time zones is possibility to manually set daylight saving time, but in this zone it is not accessible.
    Only indicate an problem.
    I have manually set new time, so probably it will use now ntp
    e.g.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. przemekwawa

After restarting router, problem still exist, time was changed by 1 hour. So its a bug with GMT+1 and daylight saving time.
    For me it is important, because I have settings that rely on time...

4. KF2013

KF2013 New Around Here

Change time zone to Brussels and you'll get proper time.

Wysłane z mojego HTC One przy użyciu Tapatalka

5. przemekwawa

<Polish enabled>Witam Rodaka :)<Polish disabled>
    I know, but this is bypass, not solution.

6. DrTeeth

DrTeeth Senior Member

It *is* a solution of it gives you the correct time. Does it *really* make a difference that the name of your country is not displayed in the router?

If you do want that I am tempted to suggest you move to Belgium, but I won't :D:D:D:D.

7. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The timezone code used by Asuswrt is outdated, and unfortunately not something trivial to properly address, short of updating some very lowlevel components such as uClibc. Best solution at this point is to manually configure the DST start/end.

I know it doesn't address some specific cases however, such as the new TZ in South America that only has a 30 minutes shift - that zone does not exist on the router.

8. przemekwawa

I had some job offer from Belgium, I have to add this to list of benefits :p
    For me as a customer it is bypass, but of course working and enough for me.

RMerlin, If this code is not trivial to change, I will not bother you, it is not important as workaround exists.

9. joelbean

joelbean New Around Here

The only selection in the Timezone dropdown for GMT -8 is Pacific time US/CA. I DO NOT have the option of selecting another "City" to make the time on my router correct. I use the system logs to diagnose other failures of my router so time IS important. When I select the correct timezone (Pacific time), Merlin requires that I enter DST values BUT the dropdown boxes don't open to input the specifics for DST. Of course, I can't save without these values. I have searched the web thoroughly and no-one has the answer. I've tried 4 different browsers with the same result. PLEASE...

Someone post how to select GMT -8 (Pacific) and enter DST values. I don't think it's expecting too much for Merlin to keep track of time properly. BTW... I was able to get an update from NTP using time.windows.com but Merlin still says that my locale settings don't correspond with what's specified in System page. No, I don't want to choose Arizona (doesn't require DST since Arizona doesn't change time) since this has my logs off by an hour and I can't easily correlate with Windows event logs to diagnose client problems connections.

Someone please... figure out how to fix this bug without telnet. Why does this have to go on for so long.

Peace.

10. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Search the forums for "timezone" and you'll see this has been discussed many times. The short answer is that it's for Asus to fix not Merlin. Complain to Asus otherwise nothing will happen.

11. joelbean

joelbean New Around Here

Thanks for your reply Colin. So, this is a hardware problem. I didn't read this anywhere so sorry for the bother. I incorrectly assumed that a firmware writer would care and be able to address this problem, but if it's a hardware problem, I understand.

12. ColinTaylor

It's not a hardware problem, it's software. But as Merlin stated in post #6 fixing it is non-trivial (and his limited time is better spent elsewhere;)). You don't say what firmware version you are running, but Merlin has recently commented that Asus have been changing their timezone code in the new branches. So if Asus fixes it in their code the same fix will be inherited by Merlin's firmware.

13. joelbean

joelbean New Around Here

I just updated from the latest Beta release to standard release 384.3.
    I had a problem twice within the last week where all of my wireless clients were dropped and I could no longer login to the ASUS from inside my LAN, http IP address. The logs were not helpful to debug since the time in the logs was from 2013 (previous issue mentioned). I'm hoping the problem of clients dropping is magically solved by the update to a standard release. The new release did not change anything with DST settings issue - but I didn't really expect it to.
    Thanks for your reply.

14. s3n0

s3n0 Occasional Visitor

Hello.

In my opinion, this is a software-level error. More precisely, this is the default configuration error stored in CFE, which is used after NVRAM reset. Unfortunately, the default values of the router configuration in the CFE memory (bootloader code) are missing. Or am I wrong ?

To repair this BUG, you would need to flash the CFE bootloader with the latest version, what is a risky task.

I was surprised to see that after updating the firmware (3.0.0.4.384_20308) in my RT-AC68U-B1 + reset to default settings, the daylight saving time was still not set correctly. I had to use manual configuration including the all values there (week, Sunday, time +1 and +0 shift, NTP server). Then I applied the configuration and everything works.

I'm attaching a screenshot for the correct set-up of daylight saving time in most European countries (3rd and 10th month, 4th Sunday of each month).

asus_router_daylight-saving.png

Good Luck

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  15. ColinTaylor

The reason for the timezone bug has been explained already by Merlin in this thread and many others. It is a firmware issue that Asus needs to fix. It has nothing to do with the CFE.

16. s3n0

s3n0 Occasional Visitor

Still, I think the problem is not in the executive code but in the default configuration values. If you use the factory reset, then the CFE configuration items will be written to the NVRAM memory. However, in the case of the time zone, there will again be crap. This means that the problem is not in the code but in the non-existent configuration. If the code was wrong, the time synchronization would not work at all or would work incorrectly. The execution code has nothing to do with it. I had the same problem in version 380, not only in version 384.

I have not written about an incorrect shift of time by one hour. The problem of an incorrect time shift of 1 hour is absolutely irrelevant. I wrote about a time configuration problem. The manual time configuration will resolve this issue. Unfortunately, factory reset fails to fill in the correct data in configuration items (time synchronization).

17. ColinTaylor

@s3n0 The CFE doesn't contain the timezone information so there's nothing to be copied into NVRAM. That's normal. After a factory reset the firmware will create the timezone NVRAM entries. If it's not doing that then it's a bug in the firmware not the CFE.

Code:
    # nvram show | grep -i time_zone
    time_zone_dst=1
    time_zone_x=GMT0DST,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/2
    time_zone_dstoff=M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/2
    time_zone=GMT0DST_1
    size: 49656 bytes (15880 left)
    # strings /dev/mtd0 | grep -i time_zone
    #

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  18. modemboy

modemboy Occasional Visitor

It's working fine for me on an AC68U running 384.3, can set whatever I want in the drop downs. Using Chrome. I just upgraded from 380.69_2 and did not clear the NVRAM/reset settings.

upload_2018-3-1_19-47-4.png

# nvram show | grep -i time_zone
    time_zone_dst=1
    time_zone_x=PST8DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
    time_zone_dstoff=M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
    time_zone=PST8DST

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  19. peraburek

peraburek Regular Contributor

20. ColinTaylor

It looks like this might have just been fixed.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!