What's new

Daylight saving time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
There is an problem with update date and time when I have Time Zone set to Vilnius, Warsaw (GMT+1). We are using Daylight saving time in Poland and on Sunday time was changed. Router did not automatically updated that using ntp (probably because of too big difference).
I saw that in some time zones is possibility to manually set daylight saving time, but in this zone it is not accessible.
Only indicate an problem.
I have manually set new time, so probably it will use now ntp
e.g.
date +%T -s "22:50:00"

After restarting router, problem still exist, time was changed by 1 hour. So its a bug with GMT+1 and daylight saving time.
For me it is important, because I have settings that rely on time...

Change time zone to Brussels and you'll get proper time.

Wysłane z mojego HTC One przy użyciu Tapatalka

<Polish enabled>Witam Rodaka :)<Polish disabled>
I know, but this is bypass, not solution.

It *is* a solution of it gives you the correct time. Does it *really* make a difference that the name of your country is not displayed in the router?

If you do want that I am tempted to suggest you move to Belgium, but I won't :D:D:D:D.

The timezone code used by Asuswrt is outdated, and unfortunately not something trivial to properly address, short of updating some very lowlevel components such as uClibc. Best solution at this point is to manually configure the DST start/end.

I know it doesn't address some specific cases however, such as the new TZ in South America that only has a 30 minutes shift - that zone does not exist on the router.

It *is* a solution of it gives you the correct time. Does it *really* make a difference that the name of your country is not displayed in the router?

If you do want that I am tempted to suggest you move to Belgium, but I won't :D:D:D:

I had some job offer from Belgium, I have to add this to list of benefits :p
For me as a customer it is bypass, but of course working and enough for me.

RMerlin, If this code is not trivial to change, I will not bother you, it is not important as workaround exists.

The only selection in the Timezone dropdown for GMT -8 is Pacific time US/CA. I DO NOT have the option of selecting another "City" to make the time on my router correct. I use the system logs to diagnose other failures of my router so time IS important. When I select the correct timezone (Pacific time), Merlin requires that I enter DST values BUT the dropdown boxes don't open to input the specifics for DST. Of course, I can't save without these values. I have searched the web thoroughly and no-one has the answer. I've tried 4 different browsers with the same result. PLEASE...

Someone post how to select GMT -8 (Pacific) and enter DST values. I don't think it's expecting too much for Merlin to keep track of time properly. BTW... I was able to get an update from NTP using time.windows.com but Merlin still says that my locale settings don't correspond with what's specified in System page. No, I don't want to choose Arizona (doesn't require DST since Arizona doesn't change time) since this has my logs off by an hour and I can't easily correlate with Windows event logs to diagnose client problems connections.

Someone please... figure out how to fix this bug without telnet. Why does this have to go on for so long.

Peace.

I don't think it's expecting too much for Merlin to keep track of time properly.
Search the forums for "timezone" and you'll see this has been discussed many times. The short answer is that it's for Asus to fix not Merlin. Complain to Asus otherwise nothing will happen.

Thanks for your reply Colin. So, this is a hardware problem. I didn't read this anywhere so sorry for the bother. I incorrectly assumed that a firmware writer would care and be able to address this problem, but if it's a hardware problem, I understand.

It's not a hardware problem, it's software. But as Merlin stated in post #6 fixing it is non-trivial (and his limited time is better spent elsewhere;)). You don't say what firmware version you are running, but Merlin has recently commented that Asus have been changing their timezone code in the new branches. So if Asus fixes it in their code the same fix will be inherited by Merlin's firmware.

I just updated from the latest Beta release to standard release 384.3.
I had a problem twice within the last week where all of my wireless clients were dropped and I could no longer login to the ASUS from inside my LAN, http IP address. The logs were not helpful to debug since the time in the logs was from 2013 (previous issue mentioned). I'm hoping the problem of clients dropping is magically solved by the update to a standard release. The new release did not change anything with DST settings issue - but I didn't really expect it to.
Thanks for your reply.

To repair this BUG, you would need to flash the CFE bootloader with the latest version, what is a risky task.
The reason for the timezone bug has been explained already by Merlin in this thread and many others. It is a firmware issue that Asus needs to fix. It has nothing to do with the CFE.

@s3n0 The CFE doesn't contain the timezone information so there's nothing to be copied into NVRAM. That's normal. After a factory reset the firmware will create the timezone NVRAM entries. If it's not doing that then it's a bug in the firmware not the CFE.

Code:
# nvram show | grep -i time_zone
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_x=GMT0DST,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/2
time_zone_dstoff=M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/2
time_zone=GMT0DST_1
size: 49656 bytes (15880 left)
# strings /dev/mtd0 | grep -i time_zone
#

Last edited:
The only selection in the Timezone dropdown for GMT -8 is Pacific time US/CA. I DO NOT have the option of selecting another "City" to make the time on my router correct. I use the system logs to diagnose other failures of my router so time IS important. When I select the correct timezone (Pacific time), Merlin requires that I enter DST values BUT the dropdown boxes don't open to input the specifics for DST. Of course, I can't save without these values. I have searched the web thoroughly and no-one has the answer. I've tried 4 different browsers with the same result. PLEASE...

Someone post how to select GMT -8 (Pacific) and enter DST values.

It's working fine for me on an AC68U running 384.3, can set whatever I want in the drop downs. Using Chrome. I just upgraded from 380.69_2 and did not clear the NVRAM/reset settings.

upload_2018-3-1_19-47-4.png

# nvram show | grep -i time_zone
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_x=PST8DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
time_zone_dstoff=M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
time_zone=PST8DST

Last edited:
It is always the fourth Sunday of the calendar month March / October.
Not according to this. :confused: That says that DST in your country last started on 31 March 2019 at 02:00. That was the 5th Sunday in March. Most of the time there are only 4 Sundays in the month, but not always.

Nope. My settings are fine.

I'm sorry to answer this too late, but today I noticed what you're writing about my post.

It is always the fourth Sunday of the calendar month March / October.

Slovakia country is in the world time zone +1. Shifting between winter and summer time is additional +1 hour, so together it gives +2 hours when it takes time to shift.

When using manual time setting, the "GMT+01:00" setting is ignored in the roll-menu selection. Therefore, I need to use the +00 and +01 manual settings in automatic time offset instead of +01 and +02. So my setting in the screenshots above is correct. Obviously I also verified that it is time to set up my settings correctly - in the terminal (telnet / SSH), but also by checking the timestamps in LOG records.
Sorry you are WRONG if you are from Slovakia!
EU (ALL countries) have SAME DST, different time zones (east +2, middle +1 and west GMT) but ALL change LAST sunday in March and October (at least till 2021 when DST will be abolished).
And LAST is programmed as 5th sunday on AsusWRT or Merlin (sometimes 4th and rest 5th) !!!

Last edited:
The "hours" numbers are not shift values, they are only the time of day (e.g. 2:00 AM) that the change happens. The shift is always + or - 1 hour, there is no menu option to change that.

And your "week" settings are still wrong. They should both be "5th" not "4th".

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!