1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

DC power adapter

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by hytekj, May 10, 2018.

1. hytekj

hytekj Occasional Visitor

I am looking to install an Asus 68u on a boat that primarily has 12v DC. I would like to keep the router powered without having to turn on an inverter or generator. I am assuming I need a 12v to 19v step-up converter/transformer? Do I need one that does 1.75 amps exactly or can it have more and the router will just pull 1.75? Any one have any recommendations? Also, what size is the plug that goes into the router and any idea where to source one without chopping up the one I have with the AC adapter? I can probably have a cigarette power port installed if necessary. Thank you!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. crypto

crypto New Around Here

The unit will only draw the amperage it needs so you need a supply that can deliver at least 1.75 A. If you get a larger one, it will be fine and probably run cooler. Amazon sells a number of 12v to 19v supplies like this one for $13.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5CMH95/?tag=snbforums-20

You might want to put it in a little box with a switch however.

Sorry I cannot help with the plug size.

4. bbunge

bbunge Very Senior Member

Just use a router that uses 12VDC. I have a WRT54G that runs off of the cig lighter socket in the car. Netgear has several that use 12VDC as well. Sure bet you plan to use a cellular modem?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

5. hytekj

hytekj Occasional Visitor

thanks i figured out a step up converter to get me from 12v to 19v but am in search of the correct plug size now. thanks again!

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!