What's new

DDNS behind ATT Pace Plc Model 5268AC home gateway?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pod3545

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone successfully set up DDNS on their router (mine is GT-AC5300) that is using an ATT Pace Plc Model 5268AC home gateway? (This is the regular ATT home router that ATT provides w/ all DSL service that I know of.) ATT has my gateway set to Allow all applications, protocols, ports to come through so it "should" be working. I also have the wifi turned off since I have the AC5300. According to ATT this should be as transparent as it can get.

when I enable DDNS on the router, it cannot connect & shows "Request error! please try again"
router settings:
Server field: Domains.Google.com
Hostname: @thenameofmydomain.com
Username: username that google domains provides in its Synthetic record
Password: password that google domains provides in its Synthetic record
WAN IP and hostname verification: cheked Yes
Check every 30 minute(s)
HTTPS/SSL Certificate: checked "None" to simplify for troubleshooting. Same result for "Free Cert from Lets' Encrypt"

To add, Under Internet status in the router, it does show the correct WAN IP. Its not an IP from the ATT gateway & is the IP address I use to connect to the media server (mentioned below).

google domain settings I set up a DNS Synthetic record just like this - https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083

I'm doing this all to make accessing my emby home media server easier (remotely). The media server does work fine if I use my external IP address. Its just getting DDNS working that seems to be the issue.

Any ideas or tips?

Having worked the AT&T Community forum for several years, I can state that the 5268AC can be a challenge, especially in this kind of scenario. Additionally, AT&T support for this scenario does not exist. Your primary hope is the AT&T Community Forum for any of their support. You have to realize that the 5268AC was specifically designed to support AT&T U-Verse DSL, AT&T U-Verse TV service, and the minimalist home internet user.

ATT has my gateway set to Allow all applications, protocols, ports to come through so it "should" be working.
I hope you are referring to having the GT-AC5300 in the DMZ of the 5268AC. With this, the GT-AC5300 WAN IP address should be the same as the 5268AC router. Disable the 5268AC firewall as you're using the GT-AC5300 firewall, right?

I recommend you use a packet capture so that you understand exactly what is going on. On my MacBook I use Wireshark.

Having worked the AT&T Community forum for several years, I can state that the 5268AC can be a challenge, especially in this kind of scenario. Additionally, AT&T support for this scenario does not exist. Your primary hope is the AT&T Community Forum for any of their support. You have to realize that the 5268AC was specifically designed to support AT&T U-Verse DSL, AT&T U-Verse TV service, and the minimalist home internet user.

I hope you are referring to having the GT-AC5300 in the DMZ of the 5268AC. With this, the GT-AC5300 WAN IP address should be the same as the 5268AC router. Disable the 5268AC firewall as you're using the GT-AC5300 firewall, right?

I recommend you use a packet capture so that you understand exactly what is going on. On my MacBook I use Wireshark.

Yes that is correct that the AC5300 WAN IP address is the same as the 5268AC router. The firewall is not showing as disabled though on the 5268AC even though I have it in the DMZ. canyouseeme works fine detecting my home media server. I'm thinking that it's just (another) asus shortcoming.

Is there another modem you would reccomend that would give more tweaking ability and possibly better performance? I only use the U-verse DSL. I dont use the tv, phone or wifi features on it. i'd be fine with "just a modem" I guess.

thanks for the advice!

The firewall is not showing as disabled though on the 5268AC even though I have it in the DMZ.
I would still disable 5268AC firewall.
Is there another modem you would reccomend that would give more tweaking ability and possibly better performance? I only use the U-verse DSL.
AT&T U-Verse is 'special' because they use IGMP on the 5268AC even though you don't use their TV service. So the answer is no, there is no alternative modem.

I had AT&T U-Verse with TV service since it was available in my area. In December 2017 I signed up for DirecTV Now because they announced plans to have a cloud dvr. By May 2018, I was no longer using AT&T U-Verse TV service just internet streaming, I weened myself off. I was about to just cancel the TV service and thought I would check cable prices. My neighbors thought the neighborhood cable was pretty good too. Turns out I could get 200Mbps internet from Spectrum for the same price that I would be paying for AT&T U-Verse internet at 25Mbps. I made the change and never looked back.

Yes that is correct that the AC5300 WAN IP address is the same as the 5268AC router. The firewall is not showing as disabled though on the 5268AC even though I have it in the DMZ. canyouseeme works fine detecting my home media server. I'm thinking that it's just (another) asus shortcoming.

Is there another modem you would reccomend that would give more tweaking ability and possibly better performance? I only use the U-verse DSL. I dont use the tv, phone or wifi features on it. i'd be fine with "just a modem" I guess.

thanks for the advice!

I would still disable 5268AC firewall.

AT&T U-Verse is 'special' because they use IGMP on the 5268AC even though you don't use their TV service. So the answer is no, there is no alternative modem.

I had AT&T U-Verse with TV service since it was available in my area. In December 2017 I signed up for DirecTV Now because they announced plans to have a cloud dvr. By May 2018, I was no longer using AT&T U-Verse TV service just internet streaming, I weened myself off. I was about to just cancel the TV service and thought I would check cable prices. My neighbors thought the neighborhood cable was pretty good too. Turns out I could get 200Mbps internet from Spectrum for the same price that I would be paying for AT&T U-Verse internet at 25Mbps. I made the change and never looked back.

Well, I swear I thought they had the same WAN IP address. Now that I monkeyed with the settings, its now showing the WAN on the AC5300 to be at 192.168.1.64. On the emby server though it shows the external to be something different and if I use that, I can hit it from the outside and stream fine. Unfortunately here you only have 2 choices. Comcast or ATT UVerse and believe it or not, I get much better performance through ATT Uverse. Jeez I just wish they'd hurry up w/ fiber around here. I have friends in Europe who say that fiber is everywhere over there. Luckily w/ my Direct TV (satellite tv) subscription, this ATT UVerse DSL only costs about $45 a month for about 100mb down. Not THE fastest but far more than comcast could ever do for me.

I did manage to go into google domains and set a redirect to my home IP address. Now if my IP addy changes, I just have to update it manually.

Okay, let me draw a diagram of how I perceive this should be set up:
Network.jpeg

For fiber, I would stay away from AT&T Fiber because they use a 5268AC for your premise, yup. Around here, AT&T Fiber customers who have other than minimalist home network devices constantly complain of speed issues. This is due to what they are trying to connect to 5268AC.

Okay, let me draw a diagram of how I perceive this should be set up:
View attachment 15092
For fiber, I would stay away from AT&T Fiber because they use a 5268AC for your premise, yup. Around here, AT&T Fiber customers who have other than minimalist home network devices constantly complain of speed issues. This is due to what they are trying to connect to 5268AC.

Yep. That drawing is accurate. Add about 20 more devices once you get inside the network but you got it right. (The media server actually uses a NAS that's also connected to the AC5300 to hold storage.)

(what did you use to draw that? that looks nice)

Keynote, Apple’s answer to PowerPoint. Icons are from Cisco.

If it helps anyone reading this from a search, I FINALLY got it. My biggest tip to you (that may or may not be corrrect) is to reboot OFTEN during making changes.

In summary, I hate that ATT Pace pos. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!