What's new

DDNS name not working from LAN (RT-AC87U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rassal

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I searched this on the net, and found out that it seems to be a known issue, but wondering if anyone else has the problem. This doesn't seem to be Merlin related, but at the core from Asus.

I have both an RT-AC66U and a new RT-AC87U.

On both routers, when i installed 378.51, i did a full factory reset once it was flashed, and configured everything from the ground up.

I do NOT have the problem on RMerlin firmware 378.51 on the RT-AC66U.
I do have the problem on RMerlin firmware 378.51 on the RT-AC87U.

The problem is when i try to reach one of the redirected ports on the wan, using the DDNS address from any PC on the LAN.

So let's say i registered "Testing" over the DDNS function with Asus service. I would get a TESTING.ASUSCOMM.COM address. This works as it should on both router.

Now, on both router, WAN is configured NOT to answer to ping requests, and on both routers, i redirect port 8081 to port 80 on one of my PC inside my LAN.

On both routers, the traffic gets routed, and works from the internet.

On the RT-AC66U, accessing to testing.asuscomm.com:8081 works from inside or outside my LAN, it gets redirected to the webpage hosted on the PC inside my LAN. I cannot ping that same testing.asuscomm.com as expected because the WAN ping is disabled.

On the RT-AC87U, accessing testing.asuscomm.com:8081 doesn`t work from inside my LAN, i get a page cannot be displayed. I can ping that same testing.asuscomm.com from the LAN even of WAN ping are disabled.

So there is something different in the RT-AC87U, which does this behavior. From what i read, some people solved the problem by disabling NAT Acceleration, but it did nothing for me. TO me this seems to be related to NAT Loopback, which is something you can't configure on the AC66, but you have some control on the AC87U.

Can you guys confirm this somehow?

This is what i found about that particular problem, which Asus seems to say it's normal that all their routers are like that, but it's not like that on my RT-AC66U and many people complain about this problem, on a 300$ router, it should work from inside the LAN.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=11&model=RT-AC87U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Anyone?