What's new

DDNS problem with Dyndns.org

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Theliel

Regular Contributor
[Solved] DDNS problem with Dyndns.org

Hi guys.

RT-AC56U / 374.40

I'm having trouble setting my dyndns.org account:

Jan 1 02:36:45 watchdog: start ddns.
Jan 1 02:36:45 rc_service: watchdog 535:notify_rc start_ddns
Jan 1 02:36:45 ddns update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Jan 1 02:37:15 ddns update: error connecting to members.dyndns.org:80
Jan 1 02:37:15 ddns update: asusddns_update: 1

server: www.dyndns.org
host: xxxx.dyndns.org
user: xxxx
pass: xxxx
wildcard: no

directly access to members.dyndns.org:80 return 404, while
direct access to members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=xxxx.dyndns.org work fine.

Any suggestion??

Thank

Last edited:
Since how long have you had this DynDNS account?
Is it still active when you log in?
Did it work before on this router?

account is active, and work perfectly with ddwrt, but am not able to make it work on merlin

OK, Solved, but I dont understand the real "problem"

I'd configured a DNS server (8.8.8.8) for LAN side assigned by DHCP to them. Router DNS server for WAN side was taken automatically from my modem. In this configuration, the router was unable to resolve any external DNS query for him, but all clients devices worked fine (i dont understand the reason). Once I removed LAN DNS server, the router began resolve her own DNS query successfully...

If you want to use Google DNS then set the WAN DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and leave the LAN side DNS empty (this will set the router as server automatically).
Except you have a separate (local) DNS server on your LAN side then use it's IP.

Last edited:
Yes, I know, but for some reason dont work when WAN/LAN side use different DNS server, if I use google DNS for wan side and use any other server for lan side, I have the same issue. whenever DNS lan side is configured, router can't resolve dns querys, for example for ddns, time sync...

Are you running other scripts from /jffs/ that may interfere?
Your scenario sounds unlikely. (Fragezeichen)

Today I received an e-mail from Dyndns indicating that they will no longer be offering their free service. To carry on with them requires a paid subscription from this day forward.

Considering how many devices (eg: webcams, routers) offer a Dyndns option compared to the other free services, I think this is a shoddy money-grab and I'm going to drop them.

Free options include afraid.org and the built-in Asus service. Unfortunately, I'm already using the router's DDNS page for my Tunnelbroker account and used a webcam for the DDNS so I'll have to solve this with a wan-start script.

Today I received an e-mail from Dyndns indicating that they will no longer be offering their free service. To carry on with them requires a paid subscription from this day forward.

Considering how many devices (eg: webcams, routers) offer a Dyndns option compared to the other free services, I think this is a shoddy money-grab and I'm going to drop them.

Free options include afraid.org and the built-in Asus service. Unfortunately, I'm already using the router's DDNS page for my Tunnelbroker account and used a webcam for the DDNS so I'll have to solve this with a wan-start script.

agree with you on the "money grab". I just switched over to Asus but I am not sure that hte ez-ipupdate script works for their service. WIll have to look into something that is supported by the script.

agree with you on the "money grab". I just switched over to Asus but I am not sure that hte ez-ipupdate script works for their service. WIll have to look into something that is supported by the script.

FWIW - I take exception to the comment about "money grab" - DYNDNS has provided free services for a long time... and many people have opt'ed in...

But eventually, they need to keep the lights on and folks employed...

I host a couple of domain's from them - paid services - up front, they offer a lot more that the "free-loader" accounts, from registration to DNS issue resolution for C-NAME, MX records, etc... they've always been friendly and helpful.

So some may see this as a "grab" - I see this as DynDNS keeping the operation running and offering even better service.

sfx

Are you running other scripts from /jffs/ that may interfere?
Your scenario sounds unlikely. (Fragezeichen)

Yes, I know is a rare scenario, but its not a reason to dont work. Anyway, is not a script problem.

And yes, Free Dyndns service will be shutdown on May. You can use Asus service or any other, you dont need use dyndns after all