What's new

DDNS Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weggy

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'd like to access my home via a specific domain (e.g. www.myhome.co.uk), enabling to gain access to my Synology NAS.

I'm fully aware of work arounds like no-ip DDNS etc. and hooking that up to my Asus settings to auto update. However, I prefer to have a domain I own for the job.

I'm a little lost in the process of doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Those instructions appear to be for DDNS.

First, you have to buy a domain. There a dozens of registrars to choose from. Once you have a domain you need DNS service. I have used FreeDNS to good effect. Then you have to configure the DNS service to point to the WAN IP address of your router. Then you have to configure your Asus router to forward the appropriate ports to the LAN IP of the Synology.

The specific instructions on how to update your ddns provider is typically found on the provider web site. As mentioned above, first get a domain, then pick a provider, then you will have a few options on when and how to update when your up changes.