What's new

DDNS Setup Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
I am running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7.2 on a AC87-U
My ISP does not provide static IP addresses
I need to setup DDNS to setup VPN and Media Server (Slim Server) access

I am using FREEDNS in the DDNS setup. On their site I configured an A name record under the Subdomain menu (for my new domain xxxxx.mooo.com) and then Enable Dynamic DNS which gave me a username & password pair.
On the router I went to the DDNS page added my hostname, username and password
The other settings were:
Method to Retrieve WAN IP: INTERNAL
Enable wildcard: NO
WAN IP and hostname verification: NO
HTTPS/SSL Certificate: Let's Encrypt (then none)

On first use the connection was successful, but no Certificate was obtained.

However after my IP address changed the connection failed and the general log shows
Nov 9 10:39:00 watchdog: start ddns.
Nov 9 10:39:00 rc_service: watchdog 260:notify_rc start_ddns
Nov 9 10:39:00 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Nov 9 10:39:01 inadyn[2359]: In-a-dyn version 2.5 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Nov 9 10:39:01 inadyn[2359]: Update forced for alias xxxxx.mooo.com, new IP# xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Nov 9 10:39:03 inadyn[2359]: HTTP(S) Transaction failed, error 36: Temporary network error (HTTPS send)

I also tried to setup Let's Encrypt using the instructions in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034294 but this did not work - nothing was retrieved and Let's Encrypt was stuck on Status: Updating.
I also did not understand the instruction "Please make sure your router can issue domain validation and certificate renewal via 80 port from the Internet." I am not running any web servers on my network, so how / where do I open this port on the router (and what do I point it to?)
To see if Let's Encrypt was the problem I set HTTPS/SSL Certificate to None, but this did not help.
Given the reasons for DDNS use (VPN and routing to Media Server) do I even need Lets Encrypt or other certificate?

Last edited: