What's new

DDNS Status stuck in Updating mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ken Olson

New Around Here
I believe I've found a bug in the WAN->DDNS registration page on my RT-AX88U running Merlin v384.17.

I didn't realize at fist that I put in a Host Name that was already taken by someone else. The Status was stuck on "Updating" rather than showing "Failed", "Error" or something intuitive like "Host Name Taken" or "Host Name Not Available". In hind sight I understand that I should have checked the ASUS Nslookup page first.
http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php

I initially reached out to ASUS support and they were completely useless even after sharing the Router Sys log and Config settings with them.

I finally looked in the log file myself which is when I discovered the problem as shown here:
Code:
Jun  5 18:01:03 inadyn[32590]: Update forced for alias batcave.asuscomm.com, new IP# 24.255.6.107
Jun  5 18:01:07 inadyn[32590]: Domain already in use, suggested domain ''
Jun  5 18:01:07 inadyn[32590]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Jun  5 18:01:07 inadyn[32590]: [203 |batcave.asuscomm.com|batcave7959.asuscomm.com]
Jun  5 18:01:07 inadyn[32590]: Error response from DDNS server, exiting!
Jun  5 18:01:07 inadyn[32590]: Error code 48: DDNS server response not OK
Jun  5 18:01:37 rc_service: httpd 1144:notify_rc restart_ddns_le
Jun  5 18:01:37 start_ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM update@asus.com, wan_unit 0
Jun  5 18:01:37 inadyn[32651]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Jun  5 18:01:39 inadyn[32651]: Update forced for alias batcave.asuscomm.com, new IP# 24.255.6.107
Jun  5 18:01:41 inadyn[32651]: Domain already in use, suggested domain ''
Jun  5 18:01:41 inadyn[32651]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Jun  5 18:01:41 inadyn[32651]: [203 |batcave.asuscomm.com|batcave7959.asuscomm.com]
Jun  5 18:01:41 inadyn[32651]: Error response from DDNS server, exiting!
Jun  5 18:01:41 inadyn[32651]: Error code 48: DDNS server response not OK

Hmmm. Have you tried a different DDNS service provider?
Hurricane Electric's (he.net) tunnelbroker.net is free (you basically just have to setup a login) and the setup is dead easy in Merlin - it's on the pulldown list.
(their free IPv6 "certification" is fast and fun, too, if you want to dig a tad bit deeper)
HTH getting things back to normal in the batcave ;-p

Thank you for response and suggestion.

I wasn't able to get a host name, because it was already taken. Once I went to the ASUS Nslookup page to find an unused host name I simply went back to Router, entered that host name and then clicked Apply. Within minutes I was done with successful registration and tested access using asuscomm.com.

So my post was about how the initial process failed to indicate that the host name was already taken but the router Status just said Updating. I had already resolved the issue by selecting a new unused host name.

Right. My thinking was a different DDNS host may let you re-use the same host name OR by setting up a tunnel that you can keep coming back to (HE gives you 5 to use, iirc), even if you change routers, nothing else changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I initially reached out to ASUS support and they were completely useless even after sharing the Router Sys log and Config settings with them.

They can't help you, I don't even use the same DDNS software as them...