What's new

DDNS Trouble Resolving Internally

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zeroskatr512

New Around Here
RT-N66U w/ Merlin 374.40

I have an intermittent issue when trying to resolve an address with ddns from inside my network. I have a DVR on my network that I can access from both inside or outside my network. I have a ddns through dyndns.org and I have port forwarding setup to point to the router.

Sometimes the router will no longer resolve the address which I use to access the DVR when I am accessing from inside my network. So when I enter http://xxxxxx.dyndns.org:5000/ it should resolve to 10.0.0.X:5000/ and load the DVR page. Instead however, IE will time out saying it can't load the page.

When the issue occurs, the following instances are true:
I cannot access the DVR inside my network using the DDNS:port address
I cannot access the DVR inside my netowrk using the external_IP:port address
I can access the DVR inside my network using the internal_IP:port address
I can access the DVR outside my network using the external_IP:port address
I can access the DVR outside my network using the DDNS:port address

Now to fix the issue (temporary it seems) I can reboot the router and all will work as expected for a random amount of time (sometimes 2 days, sometimes 8)

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Assuming your DVR has a fixed IP within your network then you have given yourself the answer: Use the actual IP:port addressing at home.
Instead of reaching out to dyndns to resolve your internal IP use it directly.

Assuming your DVR has a fixed IP within your network then you have given yourself the answer: Use the actual IP:port addressing at home.
Instead of reaching out to dyndns to resolve your internal IP use it directly.

That isn't really an ideal solution as the application I run on my phones would require reconfiguring the settings every time I go from the internal network to external.

The router provides the correct functionality as desired for a given period of time and then starts having trouble requiring a reboot to correct. Has been happening on and off for the past couple of Merlin Builds though I can't say it is related to anything he added to the code.

Also I should add a little more information to this...
It is not related to DDNS (I don't think...) When everything is working properly I can enter my external_ip:port and access the DVR properly from inside my network. When the router starts acting up, the external_ip:port will no longer work and time out. This would indicate to me that DDNS is not the cause of the issue and is more related to the routing table maybe?

Last edited:
Indeed, it's not a Merlin or DDNS fault.

Have /jffs/ enabled and create or add to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
address=/xxxxxx.dyndns.org/10.0.0.x
and restart dnsmasq
Code:
service restart_dnsmasq