What's new

DDNS Update client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kal1975

Regular Contributor
I use no-ip for my DDNS. I have my DDNS client set to force update my IP every 14 days. It doesn't look like it's working properly, or more likely is that I don't understand what the update process is. I get e-mails from no-ip to update my IP address. I thought the DDNS client was supposed to do that for me...

The 14 day interval was up yesterday and the log shows this:

Code:
Sep  2 02:57:39 RT-AC3100-9488 watchdog: Forced DDNS update (after 14 days)
Sep  2 02:57:39 RT-AC3100-9488 rc_service: watchdog 421:notify_rc restart_ddns
Sep  2 02:57:39 RT-AC3100-9488 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ddns)
Sep  2 02:57:39 RT-AC3100-9488 start_ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.

I checked the no-ip dashboard and the last update was Aug 18 at 23:57 PDT, about 14 or 15 days ago. It doesn't reflect any attempt at updating the IP address.

My questions are:
  • Does the DDNS Update Client send the update to the DDNS host/server even if there are no changes?
    • If no changes in the public IP, is there any way to force an update to the DDNS host?
  • Is the log the only way to know if the client is working and what it's doing?
I had a dd-wrt router many years ago. In the DDNS client web page, it showed the log lines/output of the last update on that page. Is it possbile to have something like this in Merlin?

The 30 day confirmations asks you to confirm your hostname.

They don’t mention IP addresses (in my case).

What did this particular mail look like?

Nothing fancy...a link back to the no-ip site specifically for the host name to renew.

Hadn't thought about it being like that for free accounts. I'll have to follow up with no-ip. I read the info on the link you posted from no-ip. It talks about them sending an email with a link to renew the hist name. However, another post in the KnowledgeBase talks about setting up a router ddns client. That one does not refer to a free or a paid account. I'll follow up with them.

The question is whether the update request was sent and they did not act on it or whether the request was sent at all. The log message indicates that nothing has changed so I was thinking that the request wasn't sent at all. Just wanted confirmation and to see whether or not there's an issue there.

I disabled and re-enabled the DDNS client on the router. The NO-IP dashboard reflected that it had been updated. However, it still indicated that I needed to confirm the hostname. This means that whether or not the router updates NO-IP, it will still need to be manually confirmed...for free accounts.

I'm going to see if there are other DDNS providers with free accounts that don't require this. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the help.

Have you checked the Asus DDNS? I am trying it out and so far no required confirmed host name like no-ip which I also use.

I disabled and re-enabled the DDNS client on the router. The NO-IP dashboard reflected that it had been updated. However, it still indicated that I needed to confirm the hostname. This means that whether or not the router updates NO-IP, it will still need to be manually confirmed...for free accounts.

I'm going to see if there are other DDNS providers with free accounts that don't require this. Suggestions are welcome.
One possible option would be FreeDNS.afraid.org. AFAIK, the only requirement is that you must log in to your account at least once every 6 months. You don't have to confirm any of your hostnames; you can simply log in & then log out. Otherwise, you'll get an email reminding you to log in before the 6-month interval expires. At least this was the case when I signed up for a free account about 4 years ago.

https://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/

I use No-IP and get the hostname confirmation email every 30 days. This has nothing to do with your IP though. I also use a different updater client (Not Asus router)

Can you temporarily change your IP from the No-IP website and then see if your DDNS client updates it to the correct one to confirm it is working?