What's new

DDWRT Command Shell or Tomato System Commands equivalent with Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brtravel

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys and gals, I'm new to Merlin and not terribly tech savvy with networking stuff, so I'd really appreciate your help with this issue (and I did try to search here and google first).

I want to run two routers, one with a VPN, one without. I got this setup working well with the first router (connected to the modem) being an ASUS AC66, and the second (connected to the first) being an N12 with Tomato. This video helped me set that up, and even though it's DDWRT, it all applied to Tomato just fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-V0gMp7vU

I haven't been real happy with the VPN running on the N12/Tomato router, and I've now put Merlin on my AC66 and have found the OpenVPN Client works much better there. So I would like to switch the order, with the N12 connected to the modem, and the N66 running the VPN and connected to the N12.

The problem is I can't figure out how to run in the AC66 the command at 5:37 in the video, which makes the routers play nicely together. The video shows in DDWRT you go to Admin>Command Shell for it. In Tomato I found it in Tools>System Commands. Where is the equivalent in Asus-Merlin?

Thank you!

The command shell was removed from the Merlin code a while back for security reasons. To enter commands under Merlin, you need to use either telnet or an SSH client (like Putty) to enter router commands.

Oh, bummer, but thank you for the reply. I haven't done telnet before, and have barely played with PuTTY and SSH. Did you take a look at the video and what's being done with DDWRT? I can start figuring out how to make that command with telnet or SSH (know a good guide?), but will it be persistent through reboots?

OK....you are trying to set up some custom scripts. Merlin fw allows you to do this, but there is not a user interface to do so since it's based on the Asus OEM fw. Basically, you need to create the scripts by hand and place them on the router in a specific place. It sounds harder than it really is.

Take a look at the wiki at the sections under 'Useage' to get an idea of how to get started (I would also get a copy of WinSCP and install that to make your life easier).

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

Post back and we can help out if you have questions.

Hey john9527, I'm in the same boat(ish) as OP. Basically, I'm running an Asus - AC5300 with Merlin fw and need to execute a system command to set up my OpenVPN. As with OP, the fw does not allow for me to do so and I am not too keen on flashing the router due to the dangers of bricking it.

What do you suggest? I've heard that Merlin is built off of Tomato, but I'm just not able to follow the StrongVPN protocol for Tomato at all. Any and all help will be VERY appreciated

Asuswrt has some historic link to Tomato for build scripts, but WebUI is all Asus. Merlin is on top of Asuswrt. I fully agree no need for a web gui to issue system commands, impossible to secure. Use ssh command line access with care.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!