What's new

DDWRT/OpenWRT/Tomato on TM-AC1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Prowler_gr

Occasional Visitor
Long time lurker, first time poster on these forums.
I recently picked up a couple of refurbished TM-AC1900 from Amazon.

Any easy way to flash anything (apart from stock TM firmware) on these?

Not really interested in AiMESH or ASUS firmware (at this point anyway), but I would like access to OS firmware that allows more control over the hardware (like Telnet & SSH).

I would assume that Tomato and DD-WRT might work, provided the bootloader didn't disable Firmware Recovery mode.

Don't mean to digress, but does the stock Asus AC1900 firmware not allow Telnet and SSH? The stock firmware on my AC88U does. I use Telnet/SSH to export all 2900+ NVRAM settings to a text file: great way to compare (diff) what changes between firmware updates, and to keep track of custom changes.

Sent using Tapatalk

Don't mean to digress, but does the stock Asus AC1900 firmware not allow Telnet and SSH? The stock firmware on my AC88U does. I use Telnet/SSH to export all 2900+ NVRAM settings to a text file: great way to compare (diff) what changes between firmware updates, and to keep track of custom changes.

Sent using Tapatalk
Stock ASUS does, but he has a TM-AC1900. Depends on the version of TM firmware installed. Some versions (376.1703 and older) have ssh settings and possibly telnet

BTW, is it illegal on SNB to discuss loading DD-WRT or other non-ASUS derivatives on TM-AC1900? Does that violate the prime directive?

Last edited:
I'm on TMO 3.0.0.4.376 _ 3199 at the moment, so no telnet/ssh, flashing ddwrt & tomato .trx images always fail on both WebGUI & CFE miniWEB...
Any ideas what I might be missing?

I'm on TMO 3.0.0.4.376 _ 3199 at the moment, so no telnet/ssh, flashing ddwrt & tomato .trx images always fail on both WebGUI & CFE miniWEB...
Any ideas what I might be missing?
Yes, but that is forbidden fruit :( Look elsewhere. Where the whirlpool goes counter-clockwise.

Reactions: kfp
BTW, is it illegal on SNB to discuss loading DD-WRT or other non-ASUS directives on TM-AC1900? Does that violate the prime directive?

No, nothing illegal about that, since DD-WRT is 100% open source. The problem is people forcing a different Asus firmware version in to gain access to proprietary features that have not been legally licensed for usage on the TM-AC1900.

No, nothing illegal about that, since DD-WRT is 100% open source. The problem is people forcing a different Asus firmware version in to gain access to proprietary features that have not been legally licensed for usage on the TM-AC1900.
I suspect where it gets sticky is the path that needs to be followed in order to do that. As a minimum the CFE needs to be replaced to allow an older version of TM firmware to be installed which allows ssh/telnet. And that presumes that the current TM firmware and CFE aren't locked. If so, there are ways around this but it gets very close to the forbidden zone. That is - once you're there, nothing stops you from installing ASUS firmware. To quote Hamlet "there’s the rub".

Why would it be illegal???
Should be as legal as installing Linux on a Windows or Apple PC...
It isn't "illegal" in the normal sense. I was just using some of the inflammatory rhetoric that was used before the topic was banned on SNB. However, it would be more comparable to requiring installing unlicensed Windows firmware on an Apple computer as a prerequisite to installing Linux. And posting said instructions on a board sponsored by Microsoft. Some people get their undies in a bunch over it.

I am asking this question here because I have always had the impression that this forum is more geared towards broader discussions involving networking. (The DD-WRT forums would focus on DD-WRT issues, the linksys/tomato, on their firmware issues, let alone the OpenWRT/LEDE etc)

It isn't "illegal" in the normal sense. I was just using some of the inflammatory rhetoric that was used before the topic was banned on SNB. However, it would be more comparable to requiring installing unlicensed Windows firmware on an Apple computer as a prerequisite to installing Linux. And posting said instructions on a board sponsored by Microsoft. Some people get their undies in a bunch over it.

I don't think your example is quite valid.

In a comparable example I'm only requesting assistance to install GRUB (or any other linux bootloader), in a linux forum to boot my machine.
I have no interest in Windows whatsoever & I understand the need of moderation in any mentions of how to activate Windows.

I am wrong to assume that this forum endorses the installation & usage of opensource firmware to maximize routers networking capabilities? Isn't this the primary purpose of SNB???

yes but you will need manipulations on the router which will allow loading asuswrt with AiMesh too just the same way and this will be forbidden to discuss here (dont ask why not our rules).
Thats why we cannot give support for this here as others could use it to convert their TM routers into an RT.
Take my link above and ask somewhere else, not here - sorry, everything would be deleted ...

Having just read the linked forum thread, which rightfully asks "does nobody think of the children!" ... I have to believe that most comments up to this point, whilst mildly truthful, are a little tongue in cheek.

Forget legality, just don't talk about the TM router here for modifications of any kind. It appears you need to utilise another source of information other than SNB.

I'm pretty sure I got that right ...

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Wow, going by the posts since I clicked on the linked thread, it's taken me 45 mins to get back here!

Try asking Apple/Dell/HP how to install Ubuntu.
Only a crazy CEO guy from SCO would say installing linux is illegal (He thought SCO owned linux)
Excuse me, it's GNU Linux. Don't you know the FSF owns it ... Sheesh ;)

I still have an old D-link DIR-615 which in order to install DD-WRT I had to do a hex edit (to beat manufacturers lock)
If I still had manufacturer's D-Link firmware it would probably be part of VPNfilter's army of zombies.

Is this the path SNB is trying to enforce on this router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!