What's new

Dead AC-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mavin

Occasional Visitor
So I decided to upgrade my trusty 68u to the new 86u. Worked great for 48 hours, then my networks disappeared. Factory reset, cant access the router.

I would just swap it out on Amazon as I am within my return period but the thing seems to be sold out everywhere. Anything else to try?

So I decided to upgrade my trusty 68u to the new 86u. Worked great for 48 hours, then my networks disappeared. Factory reset, cant access the router.

I would just swap it out on Amazon as I am within my return period but the thing seems to be sold out everywhere. Anything else to try?

This is a dead unit. I had the exact same issue with the AC5300 and swaped it out.

How frustrating! (Was it new or refurb?)
This is a dead unit. I had the exact same issue with the AC5300 and swaped it out.
Once read part of a presentation from some company that sells pro-grade routers. They said most failures occur during a router's first 30 days (and, years later, its last 30 days.) The resultant life cycle (failure rate over time) chart would look like a big ol' U. Their pitch was that they burn theirs in (break them at the factory : -) before sale to eliminate the first 30 day syndrome.

Yeah, I'd return / swap it out it too. (Hope you still have your old router laying around for the interim?)

Last edited:
How frustrating! (Was it new or refurb?)

Once read part of a presentation from some company that sells pro-grade routers. They said most failures occur during a router's first 30 days (and, years later, its last 30 days.) The resultant life cycle (failure rate over time) chart would look like a big ol' U. Their pitch was that they burn theirs in (break them at the factory : -) before sale to eliminate the first 30 day syndrome.

Yeah, I'd return /swap it out it too. (Hope you still have your old router laying around for the interim?)

Interesting Read. I have the ASUS AC-5300 and it works well. I am tempted to upgrade to this router but not sure what additional benefits I'll get as I am on a 100 mbps connection and use the OpenVPN setup

Interesting Read. I have the ASUS AC-5300 and it works well. I am tempted to upgrade to this router but not sure what additional benefits I'll get as I am on a 100 mbps connection and use the OpenVPN setup
A 5300? What's left to upgrade to : -)

A 5300? What's left to upgrade to : -)

The RT-AC86U has a better processor even if its Dual Band. The AC-5300 looks a lot better built though. There are VPN Optimizations on the RT-AC86U but 5300 has the better firmware which I need for my region.

I've also read glowing reports re: the 86U and VPN. How's VPN working out on the 5300?

I've also read glowing reports re: the 86U and VPN. How's VPN working out on the 5300?

Vpn is working ok but I have to use tcp and can't use udp as udp is blocked by the isp. With udp I could earlier achieve 80 Mbps out of 100. With TCP it's about 50 at best out of 100. Wanted to see if the new router would be any better.

However with TCP the cpu is at most 80 percent is utilized.

The bathtub curve is actually fairly common in electronics in general. Failures tend to happen either very quickly, or much later (provided the product is of good quality).

i had my RT-AC86U delivered today to replace my RT-AC68U, set it all up with merlin firmware of course then noticed the power switch button on back when releasing to turn off router stuck sometimes and did not come all way out unless i touched it with my finger so waiting my replacement from amazon uk tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Frustrating that this router is sold out everywhere. I have my 68u plugged back in for now. Hopefully Amazon gets more in stock soon.

Anyone know whats going on with the supply issues?