What's new

Dead NAS - how to access ext4?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrex

Occasional Visitor
Hi! My WD NAS died (it wont restart anymore, power led just blinking, drives are ok).

Can i buy a dock and attach the nas drive (wd red) to the dock and attach the dock to my macbook pro using usb and then access to the files (ext4) using e.g. Paragon software?

Im not sure what i need to do or what is even possible…

Yes

number the drives so you can keep them in order if need be. You might be able to replace the power supply in the NAS and reinstall them or replace the NAS box.

Model number of the NAS (and firmware if you know it) as well as the number of drives and raid configuration (if any) would be useful to help direct you. Some older models used non-standard (i.e. proprietary) disk formats, so at this point the only real answer is "maybe". As mentioned by @degrub, relaxing the power supply might be a good place to start, but may or may not solve the problem. At least grab a voltmeter and test the p/s, although even that doesn't guarantee an answer.

Hi!

WD DL2100, two bay, raid1 Im not sure if the os was OS3 or did i uppdated it to OS5. Dont remember the firmware version.

I think the nas died due to the atom cpu problem. The nas just blinking the power led (blue light) and after few minutes it reboots adn the same continues. I have tried ”reset” it by keeping the power button down for 4-5 seconds and then turn it on again, but also tried to press the reset button (rear) for 40 seconds or so. Blue light just blinks and the nas keeps restarting. Drive lights are solid blue. I also removed drives and tried to boot the nas again or reset it. No help at all.. i dont see the unit on connected list in the router dashboard either althought ethernet lights show green lights ”as working” in the nas port and my router is showing the green light ”as a connected ethernet port”.

So, im quessing that the only way is to buy a dock to where i can connect the other drive from the nas and connect the dock to my mackbook via usb cable. Then buy a software called Paragon for mac. I have never done that, so i really dont have any clue what to do…

Last edited:
This may provide data recovery options

The guides at least may be useful. I'd guess you could use free tools in place of ibeesoft

Thanks!

Freetools/trials Paragon or ibeesoft were absolutely horrible. I didn't figured out at all how to get Paragon to recognize the EXT4 - it only saw the space free.. Didn't mount the ext4 (whole disk) at all. ibeesoft... issues after issues.. crashing all the time. I gave up...

And it was PIA... and I mean P I A ! I had to install VM, then Linux Mint and after that figure out how to get usb docking station to work and so on... When I got something to work, there was another issue after that... If the whole system now breaks, I do not remember all steps I did. it was P I A ! ! But at least this is working instead of those two software. Maybe I didn't just know how to use them correctly.

Luckily I had a backup from the nas month ago, so rarely nothing was changed but there was something to fix manually.