What's new

Dead port on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrBlowfish

New Around Here
Hey!

The LAN1 port on my RT-AC68U with 386.2_6 Merlin stopped working this morning out of the blue. Switched around cables, PCs, updated FW, povercycled the device but no luck. Nothing is detected being plugged in into LAN1, light does not light up.
Any ideas what to do? Can this be fixed?

Thanks!

Did you simply unplug the router from the power plug, wait a few minutes (with the power button on) and then plug the power back into it?

Can this be fixed?

If the port is really dead - no. If you tried everything - most likely it is dead.

Any ideas what to do?

One port loss is not a big issue, as long as everything else on the router is operating fine. If you need more LAN ports, get a Gigabit switch for $15. One of my remote routers lost LAN1 and LAN3 after thunderstorm few years back. It's still working fine after switching connections to working ports.

Hey!

The LAN1 port on my RT-AC68U with 386.2_6 Merlin stopped working this morning out of the blue. Switched around cables, PCs, updated FW, povercycled the device but no luck. Nothing is detected being plugged in into LAN1, light does not light up.
Any ideas what to do? Can this be fixed?

Thanks!
Sometimes a bit of lint will get stuck inside a socket. Try blowing that clean before giving up on it. Look for debris inside the socket with a strong light.

A relative had a similar issue where one port failed, then a few weeks another until the device quit. The AC86U is an older model and you did not say how long it's been running or the conditions. Also too, I really think a lightening strike nearby zapped my relative's router.. and it just took a while to finally die. Stay safe, stay alive.

Thanks for all the reply guys! I did all kind of troubleshooting (restart, port change, cable change, factory reset), but no luck. Router has been running for at least 5 years with mid-heavy load. Today morning the WAN port died as well, so I declared the router dead. :/
Since I needed those ports I went out and bought an AX58 as a replacement, unsurprisingly that works flawlessly.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!