What's new

Dealing with Asus Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alternety

Regular Contributor
I have replaced an earlier Asus router (AC66). It would not talk to me. I put in an AC-3100. I wanted better processing and improved WiFi to handle phones in the house. Access was fine, but suddenly I could no longer sign on to the router. I have tried multiple alternatives, with no joy. There appears to be a secret double probation limit to accessing the router.

I went to the Asus site, but that is, as I have always observed, a zoo of of strange. Every time I come back to the Asus site, I can't do anything. The options simply run me around in circles. As an aside: Does Asus think they are a critical financial or otherwise massively protected vendor? Every time I go back after some absence; I get seriously crazy processes. Enter my logon on's that have been previously registered. Don't work. Keep re-entering logons which they will not allow me to access. Directing me to my existing account. Which, of course is, not accessible. I want what they are taking. I do not want them to use it during business hours. I have never seen such a bizarre approach to pretty much anything that Asus does relating to the product. And this has been quite normal behavior whenever I try to access Asus forms (just bizarre).

OK, end rant. H0pefully, Asus may think about this. The overall process really really sucks.

After I installed Merlin's software; it was fine. Then I could no longer access the router. I have tried various alternative IP information; not a usable interface.

I can no longer access the router for management. I have tried multiple variations of url's and Asus links. It worked fine until ***. I can't get there now. Anyone able to provide a solution?

I have replaced an earlier Asus router (AC66). It would not talk to me. I put in an AC-3100. I wanted better processing and improved WiFi to handle phones in the house. Access was fine, but suddenly I could no longer sign on to the router. I have tried multiple alternatives, with no joy. There appears to be a secret double probation limit to accessing the router.

I went to the Asus site, but that is, as I have always observed, a zoo of of strange. Every time I come back to the Asus site, I can't do anything. The options simply run me around in circles. As an aside: Does Asus think they are a critical financial or otherwise massively protected vendor? Every time I go back after some absence; I get seriously crazy processes. Enter my logon on's that have been previously registered. Don't work. Keep re-entering logons which they will not allow me to access. Directing me to my existing account. Which, of course is, not accessible. I want what they are taking. I do not want them to use it during business hours. I have never seen such a bizarre approach to pretty much anything that Asus does relating to the product. And this has been quite normal behavior whenever I try to access Asus forms (just bizarre).

OK, end rant. H0pefully, Asus may think about this. The overall process really really sucks.

After I installed Merlin's software; it was fine. Then I could no longer access the router. I have tried various alternative IP information; not a usable interface.

I can no longer access the router for management. I have tried multiple variations of url's and Asus links. It worked fine until ***. I can't get there now. Anyone able to provide a solution?
Try Asus discovery utility , it will give you the ip of all Asus routers , AP or repeaters you have , you can then hit configure on the ip for your router and log into it to make changes

I have tried the Discovery utility. It just tells me what I know. I know the IP address, admin name, and password. And for several days it worked fine. Logged in, worked, logged out. Then suddenly, it did not work anymore. I cannot log on to the router. I have tried various permutations of what I had used. No joy.

This is the same general process with the previous Asus AC66 router with Merlin code. It worked just fine for a while, and then it would not talk to me. But it still routed things without an obvious problem. So I left it alone. One thing I noticed is that the router seemed very slow.

Move up to the AC3100/merlin. Same scenario. Much faster than the AC66. Talked to me just fine to set it up. I wanted better WiFi because I have a number of devices that now require WiFi.

A few days after getting everything up, I could no longer log on as admin. Or anything. Same behavior as the AC66. Coincidences bother me a lot.
Router is doing it's routing thing just fine. But I can't control it.

Today I tried to figure out where a strange repetitive noise was coming from. I recently told Windows to index the PC, so I figured it was drive noise. But it was loud and very annoying. I determined it was coming from the attached simple desktop audio system. As I bent down to the audio amplifier, the noise went away. If I moved back, the noise resumed. Moving back from the audio amplifier, I inadvertently moved a router antenna, and the noise went away. It was radiation from the router. It was a continuous pulse with a short repetition rate. My thought is that something is passing data.

I previously set names, SSID and passwords for everything I could understand. No foreign WiFi consumer should have been able to use the router WiFi. But I am not an expert.

My gut feeling is that something is hijacking my router. I know that sounds crazy; but I would be happy to hear an alternative. I believe the last thing I did with the router was to enable the protection applications provided by the router. The third option, when activated, massively slowed the throughput. So I turned that function off. I believe that was the last thing I was able to tell the router to do.

My thoughts (soliciting ideas):
A local user is hijacking my router. - There are a couple of neighbors that might have the skills.
One neighbor appears to have a live WiFi port
WiFi would only come from Comcast
The Comcast signal may be one of those that is open as a public access - the neighbor would have no idea whatsoever. I believe an HP printer is also using WiFi
It is possible that there is an additional WiFi sharing system run by another neighbor​
Something running in the house is hijacking the router.
I have these devices I believe are using WiFi.
Amazon streaming device - direct attachment to Ethernet, but they may prefer WiFi
Possible Comcast emissions from their cable boxes
We have two boxes for the two TVs​
A TV that might use WiFi. It is one of those "smart" TVs​
I am not aware of anything else in the house that would use WiFi.

I very recently activated an Android phone. So far it has not had a problem connecting to the WiFi of my router.

There is something strange going on here. I am hoping you guys can point me in a direction or two to try to figure out what is happening.

Three years ago I had 5 routers in 4 weeks of different brands and models. Turned out the WiFi interference came from an HDMI graphics card. Replaced the card and kept the last RT N66R.
Yes, you can have something messing up your router.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Just a bit more information on the Discovery app that I should have included. It sees the router at the correct IP address. But if you select configure - nothing.

Plain old vanilla computer. It has a WiFi capability; but it is turned off.

And when the router would talk to me, it was not seeing any unusual WiFi signals. And everything WiFi is password and net name protected.

Network (1000 MHz) connected printers work fine. Internet phone is good. Everything works. They all use fixed addresses. DHCP is disabled.

Last edited:
Just a bit more information on the Discovery app that I should have included. It sees the router at the correct IP address. But if you select configure - nothing.

Plain old vanilla computer. It has a WiFi capability; but it is turned off.

And when the router would talk to me, it was not seeing any unusual WiFi signals. And everything WiFi is password and net name protected.
Are you rubnning it in https mode , , discovery will only give IP and be able to reach and configure in http , try https and /port number think it is 8442 ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!