What's new

Dedicated Bridge vs. Router in bride mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cail

New Around Here
So, I'm looking for a wireless bridge for some devices across the house from my main internet hookup.

Is there any benefit to using a dedicated bridge like the WET610n over a router in bridge mode such as the Asus RT-N16?

There are a whole host of options for what I could do:
1. Keep my current Asus RT-N16 router and add the WET610n
2. Keep my current router and add a second RT-N16 for bridge mode
3. Retire my RT-N16 to bridge mode and add an RT-N66u as router

Do any of these have any distinct benefits over the others?

The dual-band option is only really beneficial for future-proofness as my only devices with 5 Ghz are a phone and a tablet which likely won't see much real benefit. With AC coming along I'm not sure if the 5 Ghz router is really that big of a deal as I will likely upgrade everything in the next few years.

I did a quick read of the RT-N16 user manual - didn't see a client bridge mode option.

Maybe you plan to load DD-WRT on it (if that's do-able).

I'd say that a WIFi router with a client bridge mode (rare beast) is fine if it has about the same price as a client-bridge product. The latter may be easier to administer.

With my temporary setup, I am bridged from a RT-N56U with Padavan's firmware to a RT-N66U with Merlin's firmware which is connected into an Actiontec router for FiOS. All, is good and even played some Battlefield with latencies that were not too bad.

as long as it's in the factory firmware you should be fine - QA approved...

Third party firmware, you're on your own.

I can't recommend the WET610N - it has issues for general bridging, as it is more intended as a media streamer...

You can always look at Buffalo Tech - their bridges are fairly solid, if obtuse to setup... their WLI-TX4-AG300N tends to "just work" once set up...

I had a Buffalo 11g bridge with built-in 4 port switch running 24/7 for a year, including streaming non-HD video. I arranged this to get really good strong signals. No problems.

Buffalo was really hurt by the frivolous lawsuit by an Australian University that cost Buffalo the No. American market for 2 years or so of senseless litigation by the fools at the University. That ended several years ago.

I did a quick read of the RT-N16 user manual - didn't see a client bridge mode option.

Maybe you plan to load DD-WRT on it (if that's do-able).

I'd say that a WIFi router with a client bridge mode (rare beast) is fine if it has about the same price as a client-bridge product. The latter may be easier to administer.

Sorry, should have been more clear. It's running Tomato shibby due to some things I need my network to do that aren't generally supported with stock firmwares. If I do the rt-n66u I will likely put custom firmware on it as well.

I'll also look into the Buffalo bridges.