What's new

Dedicated VPN router behind RT-AC88U- Why can't I access Asus webUI while VPN-ing in remotely?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cudjeri

New Around Here
Hello everybody, this is my first post here, so please be gentle!

I'm having issues with accessing my RT-AC88U web interface remotely via a PPTP tunnel. Basically, my setup is as follows:

-Asus RT-AC88U as my intenet facing router. (LAN subnet 172.16.0.0)
-Linksys LRT214 as a dedicated VPN server (LAN subnet 172.16.1.0)
-These two routers are connected by Asus LAN port --> Linksys WAN port (VPN won't work on LAN ports)
-The linksys gets it's WAN IP Address via DHCP (172.16.0.176)

I have a PPTP server setup on the Linksys so i can remote into my homelab while travelling (PPTP client address 172.16.1.253) IPSec won't work with this two router setup for some reason, but thats a thread for another day....

Everything works great, i can access webUI's for my PDU, ESXi server, the linksys router, send wake-on-lan packets, use RDP etc. However, there is one thing i can't access: The Asus Router webUI!

In chrome, after the PPTP tunnel is established, i type in 172.16.0.1 (SSL or not) and get an "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" and when i try to access via router.asus.com i'm redirected to the asus official homepage.

Things i've tried:
-Disabling firewall completely on the Linksys and ASUS
-Allowing remote access on the ASUS
-Static routes between the two subnets (LAN interface for Asus and WAN interface for linksys)
-Disbling firewall on computer trying to remote-in
-Trying MS edge browser and firefox
-Clearing cookies in browser

Things i haven't tried:
-Using the DMZ port on the linksys (I'm 5000 kilometers away from my home lab :()

I've searched and searched high and low to no avail. So does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks very much for reading :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention i can successfully ping the ASUS on 172.16.0.1 from the remote computer

Last edited:
The Asus UI is on port 8443 by default if using HTTPS (as opposed to the normal 443). Try adding :8443 to the IP and prefix with https://

Also, you may get a certificate error if you’ve not set that up. Just ignore and force the browser to visit the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!