What's new

Defective Actiontec ECB6200 ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cloney

New Around Here
So i noticed i was getting ~350MBit/s on my ecb6200 and started to do a little digging. At first I thought it was a bad coax cable but i tried multiple different rooms and still got the same answer. This was all done on iperf3 on my main desktop that is connected through ethernet to my switch.

To preface the setup I have verizon fios via Ethernet from the ONT to my unifi USG and then to switches. So its like this

ONT > Ethernet > USG > Unifi Switch > Ethernet > Moca Adapter > Coax
On the other room its Coax > Moca Adapter > Ethernet > Switch > Laptop

I tried a few different ways and then ultimately connected the moca adapters directly together with no splitters so it is Switch > Moca (1) > Coax > Moca (2) > Ethernet Laptop. I updated the firmware on both adapters and ran the test but still got ~350Mbit/s. Its not the laptop because i connected the laptop directly to the switch and ran iperf3 and got >900 Mbit/s. I changed all ethernet cables and thinking it might change something but to no availability.

Do i have a defective ECB6200? I've had it for about 3-4 years. Anyone have any ideas to try out? I've been getting consistent results at 350Mbit/s even with a 2nd laptop.

Try running iperf3 with in parallel mode:

iperf3 -c 192.168.1.0 -P10
Of course use your iperf3 server address. With MoCA 2.0, I can only reach 1Gbps speeds with parallel mode.

All it can take is a pinch on a RG cable to affect the rate. I had a network issue that was resolved only by getting more slack in a cable bend ( it was pinched by some furniture that moved) and straightening out the cable. It was bad enough that the ATs were loosing sync.

Let's see if running iperf3 with the switch affects speed. I can't tell if the OP is complaining about a decline in speed now, or if it' has always been this way, or if he only just now tested. However running iperf3 without parallel thread will get you far less than 900Mbps, so I'd like to try that first.

Looks like i do get 1G on -P10. Here are the results. I guess i was just surprised other users are getting higher than 350Mbit/s on iperf3. Here's the results from the test.

https://imgur.com/a/BPBnjqj

Is this the limitation of 2.0? Would getting MoCa 2.5 GoCoax give me higher results for downloads throughput?

Also what does it mean in performance when you say parallel mode? My transfer speed is not going to be anywhere near it, seems like ~300mbs. How would I even achieve 1G in normal usage?

Last edited:
Good. This is consistent with most testing I've seen. As to why it works, I'm not certain. however, if I download from a site with fat pipes (say drivers from nVidia) I get full speed (in my case 500Mbps from my ISP). Similarly with SpeedTest, etc. Have you tested coping very large ISOs between 2 computers in your LAN (across the MoCA)?