What's new

Definitive WiFi Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flooded

Regular Contributor
Have searched and can't find anything definitive.

Can we agree the 'best' settings for 2.4/5-1/5-2 for 'General' and 'Professional' tabs and then make the result a sticky post at the top of the forum.

There are no 'best' for everyone.

But the M&M Config (see link in my signature below) still has the best 'defaults' as a start of a stable and fast network experience. :)

There are no 'best' for everyone.

But the M&M Config (see link in my signature below) still has the best 'defaults' as a start of a stable and fast network experience. :)
Hi

A good start but doesn't cover the 'Professional' settings.

I know that some settings will be down to individual needs and their environment, just aiming to get as near as possible to a definitive list of settings.

Some 'Professional' settings are touched upon. But the main ones to change are listed below.
  • Disable Smart Connect (General).
  • Disable Airtime Fairness.
  • Disable Universal Beamforming.
  • Disable WiFi Agile Multiband (General).
The routers I set up 'just work' with the combined settings (M&M Config and above) suggestions.

A few outliers require tweaking other settings too. If needed, only change one setting at a time and test that nothing else breaks first (and for an extended period) before changing other settings.

Nobody else going to chip in?
No, because there already countless posts in these forums asking "what are the best WiFi settings". Anything beyond those in post #4 (which are known to have compatibility issues with some clients) are specific to each user. The default settings are chosen for a reason.

No, because there already countless posts in these forums asking "what are the best WiFi settings". Anything beyond those in post #4 (which are known to have compatibility issues with some clients) are specific to each user. The default settings are chosen for a reason.
Hmmmm

Wonder why I suggested putting a sticky item with the 'definitive' settings then eh?

Was hoping for a collective input to create a guide for each of the settings.

Never mind.

Some 'Professional' settings are touched upon. But the main ones to change are listed below.
  • Disable Smart Connect (General).
  • Disable Airtime Fairness.
  • Disable Universal Beamforming.
  • Disable WiFi Agile Multiband (General).
The routers I set up 'just work' with the combined settings (M&M Config and above) suggestions.

A few outliers require tweaking other settings too. If needed, only change one setting at a time and test that nothing else breaks first (and for an extended period) before changing other settings.
Why should smart connect be disabled? If I disable it, do I leave everything else as default?

Because for some/most users, it isn't (smart). :)

We are trying to get the router to a state that is stable, fast, and reliable. SC is not the way to that destination.

If a full reset (WPS) has been performed, only change what is suggested and no more. ;)

I also found this post from Asus support. They suggested disabling Explicit beamforming. I've made the changes in this post, including 2.4 GHz 20MHz and 5GHZ 40MHz https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-zenwifi-xt8-issues.66740/#post-623225

I will try to use your M&M post from 2015, but it may be hard for me to find the page for the settings. Sadly, I'm a noob when it comes to networking.

The full reset had smart connect as on. If I turn it off, do I leave everything as default? The page then seems to be a toggle for Band 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1, and 5 GHZ-2.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!