What's new

Delete an old / unused VPN client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MeasurementRick

New Around Here
Model: RT-AC68U
Firmware: 384.14

I added a NordVPN client to my router a few weeks back, everything worked fine. Had a problem unrelated to VPN today where I ended up resetting the router and then restoring from my last backup. After that my VPN still worked but it now had a DNS leak. I tried reloading a new .ovpn file from scratch and a few other things; nothing worked.

At that point I disabled the VPN client (client1) and built a new VPN client (client2). Everything works fine now, no DNS leak.

What I'm wondering is: is there a way to permanently deleted the old/bad (client) VPN profile? I renamed it so that I don't accidentally use it, but was hoping there was a way to get rid of it completely. When I go into the router I don't see a client1 profile at all -- only client2, the good one -- but the client1 profile is still in the webUI. (Admittedly I might be looking in the wrong spot.)

admin@RT-AC68U-97B0:/tmp/etc/openvpn# ls -la
drwx------ 5 admin root 120 Aug 16 21:06 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 admin root 900 Aug 16 21:06 ..
drwx------ 2 admin root 180 Aug 16 21:06 client2
drwxrwxrwx 2 admin root 60 Aug 16 21:06 dns
drwx------ 2 admin root 80 Aug 16 21:06 fw
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 17 Aug 16 21:06 vpnclient2 -> /usr/sbin/openvpn

Not a big deal, things are working for now. But cleaner for me if I can get rid of that bad profile completely. Thanks.

hello
i have been trying to delete client 3 but even after clicking on the DEFAULT button, it keeps showing with a "Error - check configuration!" message. it looks like vpn client 3 is stuck
1600436404141.png1600436425463.png

I have the same issue as Andres. When I hit "DEFAULT" it still comes back as "Error - check configuration"

RT-AC5300
Merlin v384.19

I have the same issue as Andres. When I hit "DEFAULT" it still comes back as "Error - check configuration"

RT-AC5300
Merlin v384.19

Check your System Log for more details as to what is causing it to fail.

Any suggestions on how I can remove a WireGuard VPN client that I don't need any more? I can't seem to be able to find a Default button under WireGuard; it's only there under OpenVPN.

FYI, I'm running v388.1 of the Merlin firmware on my RT-AX86U.

Thanks!

Has come up twice in the last few months with a solution....

My bad. Thought I searched far and wide for a solution, but obviously not well enough :)

Proposed solution here works like a charm: