What's new

Delete This Thread Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

does it so happen to have VPN or RV in its name? If so you did waste your money as those routers are crap.
Go get yourself a proper router instead.

I find routing to be the main problem with setting up vpns. Its more to do with that clients dont know where to route traffic to sometimes. If 2 VPN networks use the same IP subnet, the LAN clients think they are on the same network and use layer 2 instead. Some layer 3 switches are able to only switch using IP to get around this problem.

First thing is to make sure that both networks have different subnets. If you need layer 2, look at IGMP proxying.

What is your actual speed from your ISP? Is it 50 Megabits or is it 50 Megabytes?

If it is 50 Megabits a powerful router such as an ASUS 1900P with its 1.4 Ghz processor will handle it.

If it is 50 Megabytes then your only real option is a pfsense box with a very powerful processor. Even then you will be doing well to get download speeds of 200 Mbps (Megabits ) or 25 MBps (Megabytes).

It's 50 Mbps. Is there any cheap and effective way I can place pfsense box between my routers and pass traffic between them ? Which hardware do I need to look for ? I need something small and power efficient so it won't draw much power.

There is also other option which I strongly consider now and want to do which is to change my current set-up into 1 router exceptionally two devices only as I'm sick of setting up all those routers and changing them like gloves just to to find out that they work like crap and I wasted all my money on it. So, I want to spend more money to change my current network which will route all traffic through VPN with my broadband's full speed which is 50 Mbps and won't disconnect me for no reason. The only issue with this is that I need my ISP router as it uses VDSL line which normal router doesn't have. Any set-up suggestions here ?

P.S I have tried to find recommended Asus RT-AC1900P but I couldn't find it, the only Asus routers I could find was ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900, ASUS DSL-AC68U AC1900 and ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400. Also, I hate Asus routers with passion, they are underpowered, have false advertising as well as are vulnerable like a Swiss Cheese.

For your situaion look for a router that has a fast processor 1.4 Ghz or faster and supports VPN clients. The AC1900P is available from Best Buy in the USA.

As for pfsense unless you are willing to spend the time to set it up including the research expect a long learning curve. IMHO it isn't particularly simple or user friendly for a typical non commercial/ professional user particularly in setting up advanced feature sets such as VPN.