What's new

Dell/HP Intel 10g cards - do they work in non Dell/HP systems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aivaras Seduika

New Around Here
Hey guys.

I'm looking for a 10g card for a Supermicro x8dai based server running ubuntu.

Finding loads of Intel cards pulled from HPs and Dells - does anyone know for sure or know of someone who is running one of these in a "non brand loyal" configuration, and if it's an out-of the box experience or pci-id hassle or a total non-runner?

I once bought a HP 4x gigabit card, and even though the chipset was supported by ubuntu it was never even recognised in the Supermicro board. I assumed the HP card 'knew' it wasn't a HP server somehow. It was not even there as far as ubuntu was concerned.

Your experience with the HP 4x GB card is what I would expect.

Unless you find a source that explicitly states the exact models you're considering to work in your specific Supermicro system running Ubuntu, all you can do is test and see.

Doing a quick search now doesn't reveal anything positive. Doesn't look good at this 'superficial' level of investigation.

Thank you L&LD.
I contacted a seller on ebay who assures me it will work, but I'm not sure if I want to go with the costs of trying it. There seem to be loads of these cards in the States and nothing in the UK, so for me it's £££ :(.

Thank you L&LD.
I contacted a seller on ebay who assures me it will work, but I'm not sure if I want to go with the costs of trying it. There seem to be loads of these cards in the States and nothing in the UK, so for me it's £££ :(.
I'd rather try one for Dell.

Make sure you're working with a reputable seller - I picked up a "pull" that ended up being fake from Shenzen...

If you are buying from ebay and it happens to be a fake, if you can verify it and ebay/paypal ask you to return it (shipping back can be costly if its not from UK) than legally you can go to the cops. Essentially if you are in the UK ebay will ask you to return for a refund and they would not want you to go to the cops but you should do the exact opposite assuming you can prove its a fake. Aside from getting your money back what the cops can do is notify customs to block any future shipments from the seller.

The problem with fakes has been widespread even for cisco as well. Fake cisco hardware has been distributed around and they usually involved hardware with less memory and so on so you only notice it if you actually stress it fully. Even militaries have been a victim of fakery.

Whether it is a dell or HP card it will be detected even in a system in which it doesnt work. The hardware will just refuse to work (you will get an error saying it refuses to start) if it is vendor locked.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!