What's new

Dell T20 NAS O/S thoughts...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wibble56

New Around Here
I've a Dell PowerEdge T20-3708 Xeon E3-1225V3 3.2, that I've been running Windows 10 on, and using stablebits drivepool with.

I'm using it mainly to host my media (pics, music, video)) across different sized HD's in a single pool.

This box is also running Plex server and supporting transcoding to various devices across the house (Xboxes, smart TV's, tablets and phones).

I've dabbled with Linux before, so command line isn't alien to me.

But have had some stability issues that I put down to running Windows 10 on the Dell vs Windows Server.

I'm there considering installing server 2016, but am wondering big going through that pain should I consider one of the other bad OS's.

Another consideration is my existing data pool, and the fact it's NTFS. I'd consider getting an extra drive that I could use to swing in the others (but don't have a spare PC) so an import (?) ability would be great.

I do also use crash plan to back my current server to the cloud, and I'm (rightly or wrongly....) not so stressed about redundancy locally VS having space available given I also have the original disc's .

Would appreciate any thoughts on OS options even if only to say that just doing a Windows Server 2016 install sounds the right match for my use case.

Thanks