What's new

desire 10Gb "backbone" (between floors of the house), what are my options in 2016

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EngChi

Regular Contributor
in mid 2016 - what are our 10Gb options in terms
- physical wire
- ports/connectors
?

for a lot of my devices the 1Gb is plenty fast (with Obihai and HDHR not even needing 100Mb) however for interfloor connectivity (aka "backbone" ) I would like to wire thinking about the future as I intend to spend 20 years in the house we will be buying.

right now, 10Gb seems to be very confusing - I see a lot of SPF+ devices, CX4 devices, NbaseT devices. is there good overview of what is current or is this wild wild west of free for all without a common (winner) standard? your thoughts are welcome

So far my plan was to string Cat7 between floors but now I am not sure how and if it would work with things like SPF+ or other standards. do I have to make hard choice on copper vs fiber before I move forward?

10gb is future

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

But it would cost you a lot now say even backbone you need switch costing 2500 for 12 port and if you want clients to take advantage then it will also cost. It depends on how much data hungry device are and no of devices if connected simultaneously will it exceed 1gig when combined internet and local transfer

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Run CAT6 or CAT6a and you'll be fine if 2.5/5 G will do you. If you must have 10 G, then you'll have to run fiber and use SFP+ which will get expensive.

Cisco is already marketing some multigig equipment, but it'll be next year before it's standardized and marketed more. Even then it will be expensive at first. However, you'll be able to do multigig speeds over CAT6/6a instead of dedicated fiber.

Thank you - my preference is not to mess with fiber unless it is unavoidable. I run Cat5E previously for multiple residences I lived in (and earlier on as a kid in college did plenty of cabling) so cabling and termination is not a concern. what I do not know - even if I run cat6/cat7 , am I not limited to 1 Gbs anywhere on any "normal" switch ? the connection is only as fast as its slowest link, i.e. if short term, equipment I use only have 1Gb ports, when unless I do multiple runs to the same location I would not be able to leverage things like NIC teaming. am I correct or somewhat off?

thus the questions of interfaces to use..

I am not as worried about building the rocket ship right now (48+ ports, POE everywhere with corresponding power budget, everything 10Gb ,etc) as it is wasteful. what I am more interested in making sure for things I will hard time changing later (opening walls), I plan ahead. as for equipment, I expect to rotate it as it dies naturally or much better technology matures..

If you do not want to run fiber I would suggest running CAT6a, not CAT7. Seriously CAT7 is next to impossible to terminate correctly for anyone besides professionals. Cat6a is no walk in the park to terminate correctly. It is a little different than terminating CAT5e cable. Anyway CAT6a is certified for 10Gbit for 100 meters. This would give you some future proofing. Once you start looking for some 10Gbit equipment it would be best to try to find some with 10Gbit copper ports built in. If all you can find is SFP+ (within your budget), it is possible to put in a copper SFP+ transceiver into the slot. It does not have to be fiber.

in mid 2016 - what are our 10Gb options in terms

It's getting better - prices per port are still high, but improving.... unmanaged switches are getting into the market, and on-board/add-in's are being more available...

There's still some media issues with fibre vs. copper, but that's getting sorted, and that'll also bring the prices down...

The tech is done, now it's mostly a business decision... 2017 is where one should look at greater than 1GBE - NBaseT is likely next step..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!