What's new

desired content: power-consumer and SMB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radim48188

New Around Here
Hello,

I have been reading smallnetbuilder.com for months now and it is a good resource. I would like to see more content about hardware, networking & other computing topics that cover the high-end consumer and small-business range. For the mainstream stuff I can find good reviews on Newegg and Amazon, it is the more pricey / professional items that are hard to evaluate.

Examples:
Reviews of low end Juniper hw, HP Procurve switches. Affodable tower servers/cases that take a lot of hardrives. Good harddisk racks. Soekris Monowall boxes. Hardware kits (like Phidgets). Etc.

I also welcome tips about other websites with such content.

Radim

Thanks for the feedback, Radim.

You really think that the "reviews" on Newegg and Amazon are comparable to what we do on SmallNetBuilder. If they are, I guess we're wasting our time.

We have done some small-biz routers (Sonicwall, Adtran and Netgear, D-Link, Linksys offerings) and will continue to do more. Cisco won't provide review product and Juniper and HP ProCurve didn't show interest either.

Cases and attached-storage are beyond our current coverage focus, but I see your point. I would think that the computer hardware sites provide coverage off those, however.

We do have plans to look at single-board solutions, usually as part of open source reviews, how tos.

Tim,

I certanly appreciate your efforts on the reviews. While I'm not likely to buy any individual product for myself, having all the reviews and charts is a great resource for me when I'm working with various consulting clients and they need a NAS or a new less-expensive router, but still better than the Actiontec piece of junk their ISP gave them.

I would love to see reviews of higher-end equipment too, but I do understand the situation with vendors having to participate. Maybe as the site continues to grow, more will be interested.

Tam